Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2006

SailinJay is on a distinguished road
Sailboat Photographs

From time to time when I'm out sailing on the Chesapeake Bay, I see this helicopter flying around very low to the water. It appears to be taking photographs and has a website printed on one of the pontoons, but I never can get it. Way back when--perhaps even on Sailnet--I thought I heard about websites that you can access to find a picture of your boat, if one has been taken, and you can get the photo, for a fee, of course.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2006

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
True Blue has an areal shot of his boat. I believe it was taken in this manner. You might want to PM him and find out more info. He also is on the Chesapeake.
Old 12-13-2006

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
There is a company that does it in the Narragansett Bay/Rhode Island area. You just go on their site and you find your house or boat in their extensive library and you can order photos on line.

I found this site on-line but it does not appear to have a library and it looks like you have to order the pictures on a custom basis.

http://www.pilotphoto.com/chesapeake.htm
Old 12-13-2006
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Actually sailortjk1, I'm based on Narragansett Bay - RI, not MD. I don't know of any websites for aerials in the Chesapeake Bay area, perhaps someone else can chime in with some links.

The group that shot a series of 5 aerials of us while sailing the Bay last summer ('05), is Bird Eye View of Rhode Island, http://www.riaerials.com/ . . . thousands of photos to browse through - all for purchase in High Resolution digital or print formats. I bought two large format, frameable prints after recieving a postcard from them with a TrueBlue image printed on front, and yes, I was excited to see it - so much to buy all 5 views on a CD.

They obtain mailing addresses from vessel Documented names (USCG website) or local registration files. The digital images are so sharp, they can zoom into either the vessel name, or even the state sticker's number.

Edit:
Just went back into that website, searched for True Blue and discovered that they had taken 3 more aerial shots of my boat, while sailing from Dutch Harbor a couple months ago. That makes 8 total . . . very cool. Too bad the genoa wasn't unfurled though.

Last edited by TrueBlue; 12-13-2006 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-13-2006

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Sorry for my mistake in misrepresenting you location Blue. Please accept my apologies. (At least I got something right about the photos) Ha.
Old 12-13-2006

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Hey TB, did you "remove" the diesel smoke plume from your photos???

Very nice, wish they did that here....
Old 12-13-2006

SailinJay is on a distinguished road
Update

I did some googling before I posted the message yesterday (12/12) and just did some more. I think I've found the company. The web site is www.boatpix.com and they claim that if a helicopter took a picture of your boat, it's them. I proceeded to fill out the form, only to find out that you have to have a date the photo was taken. They claim to take thousands of pictures every week, so I guess they need to narrow it down by date. I suppose I'll wait until I see the helicopter again and hope it takes a photo or two.
Old 12-13-2006
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta

What, you don't believe we were purely sailing at 8.5 knots in those very light winds? I confess, we were motorsailing - which is why the genoa wasn't unfurled, too much drag in those conditions.

Those newly published photos are untouched thumbnails from the website. The enlargements and digital CD files I purchased last year had the watermarks removed and are 10MB each, nice detail when enlarged. I'm debating whether to buy the new ones . . . may be a good hint to the family for Christmas gifts.
Old 12-13-2006

Kernix is on a distinguished road
Very Interesting - I plan on living aboard within a few years and carrying on a landscape, nature, wildlife, city-scape photo biz to make cash while cruising - wonder if I can do something similar - but I wouldn't just take the pics and hope someone contacts me - I'd be proactive and post ads at marinas & docks that I would be doing that on such-&-such a date.

Not bad!
Old 12-13-2006

BADG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta

Diesel smoke from a bathtub?