Broken centerboard cable - what to do? - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Ross

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 10-12-2016 Thread Starter

Broken centerboard cable - what to do?

The cable holding the swing keel of my Catalina 22 broke off at the keel end. The boat is on my dock, in about six feet of water, with the keel stuck on the lake bottom. I cannot drag the boat into deeper water (I tried). The reservoir level is dropping as we head into winter. By spring, she will be beached. Can anyone offer advice? Thanks so much.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-12-2016

Re: SWING KEELS GOOD or BAD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
The cable holding the swing keel of my Catalina 22 broke off at the keel end. The boat is on my dock, in about six feet of water, with the keel stuck on the lake bottom. I cannot drag the boat into deeper water (I tried). The reservoir level is dropping as we head into winter. By spring, she will be beached. Can anyone offer advice? Thanks so much.
Short of diving on it and attaching a cable, You could try working a line back in the water, from the bow, on both sides, until it catches the swing keel. Tie one end off amidship and winch the other end from a cockpit winch. It might help if you can find a a short length of firehose mat and feed the line through it first. Or try two lines with a piece a flat strapping attached in middle. That's a lot of weight though.

Last edited by tempest; 10-12-2016 at 06:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to tempest For This Useful Post:
Ross (10-12-2016)
post #3 of 4 Old 10-12-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Ouch!

This should almost be its own thread, maybe a moderator could move it to a new one.

Can you pull the boat forward? Since the keel point backwards at about a 30 angle pulling the boat backward would just dig the keel in, but if you pull it forward it should swing up a little bit and drag over the bottom. This would let you get it into deeper water.

As for getting it up, wow... Yeah, maybe a very strong line run from each winch down around the keel, then winch it up? No idea how you'd get it on a trailer though.

Remind me to go check my keel cable bolt....

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack

post #4 of 4 Old 10-12-2016 Thread Starter

I managed to drag a weighted line under the boat, and after some heaving it passed below bottom of the keel and then free to aft. But still stuck. So I ran a long line through the bow eye, back along both sides, and tied off lines with ratchet straps to a dock located behind the boat. (Lucky!). I ran more lines from the dock to each cockpit winch. Two hours of alternately heaving, ratcheting, winching and resetting the four lines, and after about eight feet of rearward movement into ever deeper water, she came free. The boat is now safe for the winter and repairs can be effected at leisure. Many thanks Tempest, for your advice. I am very grateful. Ross
Minnesail and tempest like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.