Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
Idiens, I find that language too informal and colloquial to believe it came from any formal US government web site. Do you have a URL for that?
Try: http://www.census.gov/ipc/www/world.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
Quote:
As T34C suggests, it is not that easy.
You are right. Life is never simple and the time of the Chinese is coming (again).
Old 02-13-2007

Pamlicotraveler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No matter where or how a dollar travels, no matter who is using it for what purpose, as I said it ULTIMATELY must return to the US to be redeemed.
Gotta agree with hs on this one. The dollar is the currency we spend (when we are here), so that is what counts for us.

And about the worst thing that could happen to our economy right now would be a Chinese economic plunge. A much slower China economy would take a percentage point or two off our economic growth, which will probably be 3-4% this year. China growth is pushing the demand for commodities, and helping cyclical industries like technology, transportation, shipping, and trucking.

We want China to grow. We just want to go to war with them (or have them shoot down our GPS satellites)

Cam even has a Chinese sailboat....(actually Taiwanese..."Republic of China")
Old 02-13-2007

Headingsouth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze_97
How can it be reported that a sub....any sub, tailed a carrier group, if it were undetected in the act?
Isn't that similar to certain lights that have been "positively identified" as a UFO?
Old 02-13-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Alamo, there are very few folks who would say they actually want to STOP the Navy's sonar research. The problem, as you well know, if that the USN considers whale kills to be acceptable collateral damage and they won't switch to a more expensive test protocol until or unless they are forced to do so.

The US military has a long and extensively documented history, as do many other countries, of conducting experiments in a manner which create massive collateral damage or involve direct fraud. Forcing an issue into the courts is just the Navy's way of saying "Hey look, we need a bigger budget and we don't mind throwing a fit until we get it."
Old 02-13-2007

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
Some of those comments by hellosailor are extraordinary. It is true that capitalism may lead to political changes in China. Pollution is also a problem. While they produce less CO2 than the USA which produces around 20% + of world output, are you aware that already China is estimated to contribute 25% of California's air particulates?
Bring down the government, kill them, or "force the US government to take other steps forward", namely?
Yes you can devalue your currency as you have. Because it has been a reserve currency it has been propped up by China amongst others, but that is slowly changing. Only a fool would want to end up with worthless paper, so the obvious step is to change it for hard assets. Have you noticed how many oil and commodity deals China has been setting up? Have you considered the effect of hyperinflation on the USA or do you think making dollars worthless has no effect?
If you think you can double the value as you wish, sure hike your base interest rates to 10-12% and see what effect that has on business, and homeowners let alone stocks and house prices etc.
Like it or not things are changing, and countries are interdependent. Adapt.
Old 02-13-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Alamo, there are very few folks who would say they actually want to STOP the Navy's sonar research. "

The DOD has given the Navy the go ahead ( as of 2/8/07 ) to continue Sonar testing, basicly telling enviro groups to go pound sand for the next 2-3 yrs
Old 02-13-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Chris, you rashly assume that I'm advocating what is merely among the wide range of possibilities. I'm not advocating, I'm just saying many paths are possible, many outcomes are possible, and the talk confusing balance of payments with the sky is falling, is simply confusion fomented by pseudoscientists who really have very little idea of what they are dealing with.

The US balance of trade with China, and indeed the world, is regulated by tariffs and treaties made by the US government. Which in turn is made by the US people. Can't balme it on the Chinese, the President, or on Congress. The blame lies fully on "We The People" and you really have to ask, did the founders ever intend to give the vote to every moron who could find their way to a voting both.

Of course it could be worse, I'm told that in Oz if you are a registered voter and you fail to vote, you'll get a summons in the mail fining you for that.
Old 02-13-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Chris, you rashly assume that I'm advocating what is merely among the wide range of possibilities. I'm not advocating, I'm just saying many paths are possible, many outcomes are possible, and the talk confusing balance of payments with the sky is falling, is simply confusion fomented by pseudoscientists who really have very little idea of what they are dealing with.

The US balance of trade with China, and indeed the world, is regulated by tariffs and treaties made by the US government. Which in turn is made by the US people. Can't balme it on the Chinese, the President, or on Congress. The blame lies fully on "We The People" and you really have to ask, did the founders ever intend to give the vote to every moron who could find their way to a voting both.

Of course it could be worse, I'm told that in Oz if you are a registered voter and you fail to vote, you'll get a summons in the mail fining you for that.
Actually if you are eligible to vote and you fail to register you can also be fined. Some may consider this somewhat draconian but it's actually not a bad system. The fine itself is not great that anyone who makes a conscious decision not to vote should have a problem paying it, while it encourages people to vote who might not otherwise do so. We generally get something in the order of 95% of eligible voters doing so and it usually takes close to or in excess of 50% of the votes cast to see a government elected, unlike in the US where you get less than 50% of eligible voters actually bothering to do so. We also have a preferential voting system which encourages the formation and continuing existence of new political parties without effecting the final result. (within reason). Not perfect , but then what political system is ,and to my mind a better system than I've seen elsewhere. The biggest failing of the Australian (well British really, we nicked it from them) political system is that political assasination is still illegal under Australian law. Personally I think it should be encouraged.

As to the issue of morons having the right to vote....it appears that being a moron is no hindrance to becoming a national leader so why should you stop the morons from voting for one of their own ? I know I would !!

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 02-13-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Chris...right. That was my point but you made it better.
Actually, I have no problem with imports and free trade as long as the terms are FAIR. I think we in the US have some really bad trade policies where we get to buy all we want but there are barriers (formal and informal) to our own goods and services or we are competing against subsidized labor. Often we trade political goals for damage to our economy...i.e. China most favored nation status.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.