Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Hello sailor,
Quite nice explanation of the economics, one can rarely go too far wrong with Milton Friedman along side. I would add that the Great Depression would be a perfect example of the potential situation you cite. Free and open trade are always the best policies-every time we try otherwise we eventually get bit in the ass. And, as previously cited, the market has a wonderful way of allowing for every man's highest concerns to be addressed, sometimes not exactly as his government might have envisioned.

Have not read the specific gaffe that Mr. Howard is to have committed but if my friend tdw is exercised I'll probably find that I am pleased by it!
This voting thing is vastly over-rated. Or should I say, the desire to get more people to vote is over-rated. One must admit that when viewing MTV and their "rocking the vote" a certain quesiness occurs at the prospect of all those drones casting a vote. If anything, it should perhaps be made harder to vote thereby weeding out those serious about their democracy from those who thought Burger King had opened up another register. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21
Hello sailor,

Have not read the specific gaffe that Mr. Howard is to have committed but if my friend tdw is exercised I'll probably find that I am pleased by it!
If anything, it should perhaps be made harder to vote thereby weeding out those serious about their democracy from those who thought Burger King had opened up another register. Just a thought.
Hey man, even an old reactionary like you would probably have been unimpressed except that he was slaggin a Democrat.

BTW, don't suppose you (or anyone else) caught Colbert last evening ? Love that program. (Maybe we get it late, it was the show about China)

All very well and good to make it harder to vote but your encumbant would be disenfranchised.

Cheers

TD

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 02-16-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Quite the contrary my friend, he would have then won in a landslide.

Not familiar with the show you cite.
Old 02-16-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Quite the contrary my friend, he would have then won in a landslide.

Not familiar with the show you cite.

The Colbert Report is one of my two favourite US TV programs, the other being the Daily Show. No surprises there I guess. Whatcha expect from a bleedin' 'art liberal.

cheers mate, avagoodweegend.

(You know sometimes these debates become quite heated and perhaps a tad personal. I've been guilty of that myself, I admit, but it shouldn't be so. Underneath it all we are here cos we love sailing, boats and the sea. We should always remember that despite the disagreements we do in fact share a common bond. It's nice therefore to throw a 'cheers mate' at "t'other side". Perhaps it sounds somewhat hypocritical but I hope not.I don't know about the rest of you but I have as many conservative friends as liberals. Well, in truth he's a schizophrenic. )

Now, where were we you old reactionary you.........

Friday Evening in Sydney Town and it's way past beer o'clock. Time for me to sink a few.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 02-17-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

And here's to you, mate. I always try to remember that William F. Buckley and John Kenneth Galbraith agreed on precisely nothing of a political, or even economic, nature and yet were life-long friends. Mild mockery, a few good-natured jabs, are acceptable if the more important virtues of camaraderie and companionship are pre-eminent. I have read, and hopefully written, nothing that would be seen otherwise.

I look forward to your publication of, "A Communist Sailor's Manifesto".
Old 02-17-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
And here's to you, mate. I always try to remember that William F. Buckley and John Kenneth Galbraith agreed on precisely nothing of a political, or even economic, nature and yet were life-long friends. Mild mockery, a few good-natured jabs, are acceptable if the more important virtues of camaraderie and companionship are pre-eminent. I have read, and hopefully written, nothing that would be seen otherwise.

I look forward to your publication of, "A Communist Sailor's Manifesto".
Red Sails in the Sunset ?

Old 02-20-2007

sailingforever is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sailingforever Send a message via MSN to sailingforever
I see that sailnet is still as crazy as ever...
Old 02-20-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
No...now that you have returned from your hibernation...NOW we are as crazy as ever! Welcome back!
Old 02-20-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
sailingforever,
Fred, a 9 year old Optimist sailor from Portugal, posted a thread recently, looking for others who may share his obcession. Perhaps you can post a greeting:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/genera...name-fred.html
Old 02-20-2007

TXS-ALAMO is on a distinguished road
TDW, I never heard of the Colbert Report. It's in what medium? What network?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.