SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   A sad state of affairs.... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/26788-sad-state-affairs.html)

Cruisingdad 12-14-2006 02:49 PM

A sad state of affairs....

You know, I was coming back from lunch and got caught by a train. Seems the jerk who drives it waits until I get there everyday to slowly putt across the track (but I have not been able to prove it yet). He smiles and waves hi to me, I wave back and tell him he is Number one. Anyways, every day, it is the same thing:

China shipping conainer, china shipping container, china shipping container.

Nothing against CHina or another country... but Holy Crap! It is no wonder our defecit is out the freaking roof! I wonder what other countries import basically everything. I bet you don't see USA Shipping running across the lines in China.

Want to know the extreme? Go to WalMart (You know, the Made in the USA Store). Buy an American Flag. Fly it proudly in your front yard, but don't look too closely at the little white tag on the bottom. It says:

Made in China.

Now what does that tell ya?

btrayfors 12-14-2006 03:03 PM

Dad, haven't you been following the news? China is a wholly owned subsidiary of Walmart!

TrueBlue 12-14-2006 03:08 PM

Even scarier than that, where do you think all those sterile glass containers In Vitro Fertilization labs use come from? Just think, these American parents are unaware that even their babies are "made" in China products.

Cruisingdad 12-14-2006 03:13 PM

Nah, I think Walmart is a wholly owned subsidiary of China. Now they are entering the Americas Cup. The boat might be painted nice but the electical wont be worth a crap and the Stainless will be rusty!!

Sorry for the jab. No offense to anyone. Just joking.

PBzeer 12-14-2006 03:25 PM

Or......look into who runs the Panama Canal since we gave it away.

hellosailor 12-14-2006 03:31 PM

WalMart hasn't said much about "Made in USA" (Usa being a small town in Japan) since Sam W. died. If you follow the business press, his heirs are not at all unanimous about the change. But, WalMart offers what the American people want: the illusion of cheap. And even then, they admit it is often the *illusion*, much of their stock is competitive but not cheaper, some of it is even higher than the competition.

I don't blame WalMart, I blame Washington, and I hold the hoi-polloi that fall for the same nonsense from every politician responsible for THEM. What was Walt Kelly's line? "We have met the enemy, and they is us!"

Granted, China is a developing nation and that will always be an advantage if played properly. But...the US could have played differently. We could have paid attention to our educational system. To our crimes and prison system. To many points, all of which we keep ignoring. And if anyone tries to FIX the system? Oh, no, we can't do that here. It costs too much. (sigh)

First, shoot all the lobbyists. No, wait a minute, guns are evil, so let's just CLUB 'em all to death. There are something like 32,000 registered lobbyists now, versus some 50 in the 1950's.

Then we ban "corporate entities" from making any political contributions at all, and stop treating Big Business like it had voting rights.

Won't help much, but it's a start.

Just remember one thing, with all the money we "spend" to China? There's only one way that money can be used, it has to be SPENT on something from the US in order to be ultimately used. If they can't spend it here, the joke is on *them*.

chris_gee 12-14-2006 03:46 PM

Apart from the fact that they can use the dollars to stockpile oil and commodities, and buy the wells etc. Any left they can spend in the USA buying stock, banks, property etc, real assets before the dollar declines in value.

canoeman256 12-14-2006 03:54 PM

Aw, let 'em buy all they want. In fact, sell them the whole country. Then we can nationalize the whole shebang and bankrupt 'em all. Then we loan 'em the money to pay off the debt...wait, that's where we are now, isn't it?

hellosailor 12-14-2006 03:54 PM

"Apart from the fact that they can use the dollars to stockpile"
Can they? Only if someone else thinks they in turn can redeem the dollars back in the US. Either way, the buck still has to come back and be spent here to be redeemed. If the dollars are overvalued, it's a game of musical chairs and someone--not the US--will get caught without a seat.
We wouldn't be the first country to devalue currency and say "Haha, you lose."
But that, in the meantime, still does not address the issues at hand. It only speaks to the question of whether those issues can damage us--or not. Remember all the big money the Japanese spent on US real estate before values boomed and tanked? The money all came home, their loss not ours.

The real fun starts in 15-20 more years, when a new Chinese middle class starts looking for wives. And discovers, the millions of Chinese girl babies who were sold into adoption in the US (and the Chinese government makes a nice buck off that). Wives? Yes, they are in America. With some very different cultural values. Hmmm...Could be interesting.<G>

Of course, we could do the same thing that MANY of these countries already do. "Yessir, you want to set up an auto plant in the US? Why, sure you can. But you can only own 49% of it, you'll have to find a US citizen or corporation to own 51% of it." Shoe sure fits on the other foot, doesn't it?

camaraderie 12-14-2006 04:18 PM

Canoeman:
Then we can nationalize the whole shebang and bankrupt 'em all.

Why that would be......communistic!