Hit and runs at Marinas - SailNet Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 Old 10-20-2016 Thread Starter

Hit and runs at Marinas

My wife and I had our baby earlier this fall. While on time off getting family life sorted out (great so far!) My boat was left tied in her slip.

Upon arriving last week to move her on the hard I noticed the port side glass on my deck was shattered. It's the exact height where someone's bow would have been. No other scuffs just a DIRECT HIT to the side of the deck. The impact was so hard it also burst 2 of my fenders. Luckily I leave lots of fenders out and my boat is sturdy...

https://s22.postimg.org/94kv8jbpd/20161017_161251.jpg

The crunch is about the size of a fist. My boat will live to sail again so it's obviously not a major issue. However it will cost materials, 2 fenders, and time in an already short Canadian sail season. It'll also never look the same after patched.

Hit and runs at a Marina. Not even a note or witness. It seems some people just weren't raised right I guess.

My truck gets dinged on the regular in parking lots. Somehow the boat feels worse, like we are a small respectful community so this feels more violating in a way.

It could be worse I guess! Do people run into this often?
Arcb likes this.

SV Breezy's work-in-progress YouTube Channel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 10-20-2016

Re: Hit and runs at Marinas

It must have been an American passing through. I thought Canadians were more polite than that.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 55 Old 10-20-2016

Unfortunately, yes, it seems to happen with some frequency.

I was hit at my slip, although not very hard, while down below. I came up on deck to find the offending boat just motoring off and not looking back. Left a scratch, but they made zero effort to own up to it. I had to notify the marina myself.

I've witnessed some amazing other stuff. One fella (who I since learned was borrowing his friend's boat) pinballed off three boats in the fairway. First, he thought he was going to back into me (which is how I saw this happen), so he threw his outboard in forward and plowed across the fairway into the other side instead. Then, trying to recover, he started to side swipe the back of two boats on that side, so he got frustrate and literally firewalled the throttle, in the marina, to exit. Threw a two foot wake inside the marina! In that process, he tore off the skeg of a raised outboard and motored off. This time, the marina staff witnessed it too.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #4 of 55 Old 10-20-2016

Not uncommon IMHO. Similar to mini's situation I was hit while down below once in marina, came on deck to watch the guy motor off. Was hit on a mooring once while on deck and watched the guy motor off while I, let's just say to keep things civil, expressed my discontent.

Mistakes happen even to the well intended and experienced.

Not owning up is just plain low class.
post #5 of 55 Old 10-20-2016

I've seen some crazy bumper boats, by Canadians too. During the 1000 islands poker run this season, when every power boat was on the water (we know sailors love to point fingers at power boaters), some nimwits in a 40ish foot very new sailboat lost control and hit 3 docked power boats, doing damage to each, then just left. The marina manager saw them heading down bound. There is only one place to go down bound from Prescott, so the OPP met them at Iroquois Lock.

To keep my anecdotes balanced, a few years ago, at Toronto Island Marina, I saw an old 32' twin screw power boat lose control and hit about a half dozen boats, both power and sail.

I managed to jump aboard, after fending off the stern of a freinds boat and got control of the boat and took it into the fuel dock. The lady operating it had about a half dozen kids on board, and had only started one engine. At least she offered to pay for damages.

A big issue is people owning/operating more boat than they can handle.

Last edited by Arcb; 10-20-2016 at 11:53 AM.
post #6 of 55 Old 10-20-2016

I've seen sailboats do the "hitting" as well. On the encouraging front, I had a new sailboat neighbor arrive at our slip with a bottle of wine for us. He claimed to have hit our lifesling, while we were away and he was docking. Left no mark, whatsoever, and he knew it. There is some nobility left. I tapped the dinghy on a boat, which also left no mark, but was sure to get the owner a message, in case I was mistaken.

While I'm inclined to pick on the stinkpots, this following observation is simply based on my experience. It seems the smaller powerboats are far more likely to be the culprits. My theory is that they are the population most likely to have newer skippers, without experience or training. Docking is foreign and they get nervous. I have a rule to never make fun of another boat's docking attempt, as karma will bite any of us in the butt. Doesn't prevent me from watching, however.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #7 of 55 Old 10-20-2016

Minnewaska, I think you might be giving the inexperienced sail cruiser retiree couple with little to no experience who walks into a boat show and drops $200k on a 40' such and such too much credit. These people are in my opinion, some of the worst; wealthy, arrogant, clueless and on a big boat.

Of course, my observation might be regional. Most of the small power boaters around here are life long watermen, fishermen and hunters, many of the sailors are dreamers, who have spent too much time on CF reading about what kind of boat they must have and go out and buy it with no knowledge of how to operate a 15k-25k pound boat.
post #8 of 55 Old 10-20-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodda View Post
Not owning up is just plain low class.
I agree with you completely, but unfortunately, that's how a fair percentage of people think, these days.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay
post #9 of 55 Old 10-20-2016
Master Mariner

By far getting damaged by another boat is our biggest fear. Honestly, it would make little difference if they had insurance and owned up to it or not, if the damage was severe enough.
We'd be out of business either way, for a number of months.
I've yet to encounter an insurance company (even my own) that would get right on it and do the right thing in a timely fashion, so even if payment for the damages was coming eventually, it most likely would not come w/o lots of hassles, BS and even tears of frustration.
Never mind that some or all of the season's bookings would be gone, bringing a loss of confidence by the brokers. In our business, reliability is number 1, and no matter the reason you cannot fulfill your commitments, it does not change the fact that the broker must hustle to find other boats to cover for your inability to do so.
Anyone who leaves the scene w/o doing the right thing should be liable for criminal prosecution just as they are on the roads. What's the difference?
Quite frequently I hear of boats down here getting hit and the offending boat taking off, leaving the country even. Ever read the book "Ship Killer"? I'd be on a crusade.....
timangiel likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

post #10 of 55 Old 10-20-2016

Yep..had a boat totaled by a neighboring vessel. Took off before the marina could corner him..
redline likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.