Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
How about this weather?

The past 6 weeks or so here on the West Coast has brought unusually extreme weather with a seemingly unending sequence of strong lows advancing on the coast. It is alternately deluging us with torrential rains and mild temperatures followed by cold snaps and unusual amounts of snowfall when these two collide during the transitions. Mother Nature followed up this past week with record setting windspeeds in a rapidly moving storm that caused widespread devastation and was responsible for a number of deaths in Washington and Oregon states.

Flooding, downed trees and power outages are rampant. Hydro crews were still trying to repair damage from a 50 knot storm earlier in the week, so some isolated communities have been without power for over a week!

In Vancouver we had winds Friday that hit the 60 – 80 knot range, and as the front raced inland, trucks and semis were literally blown off the highways in Southern Alberta.

All of this follows an unusually dry, warm summer that ran well into the early fall, which itself was preceded by a wetter-than normal spring.

Fortunately the weather tracking and predictions have improved in recent decades and we are rarely surprised by these events.

This board has a presence all over the globe, so my question is – do others see this trend to increasingly severe or unusual weather patterns in other parts of the world?

And if so, I’m willing to bet there are lots of theories as to why!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2006
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
All I can say is that I just bought a boat, but have not been able to take her out. Its been either 30knot torrential weather with 3-4 foot chop, or nothing at all. Oh well. Today I sat at the dock, in the cockpit, drinking a beer, watching the sunset. What a rough life.
Old 12-17-2006

Goodnewsboy is on a distinguished road
It's global warming.
Old 12-17-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
No..its the next ice age.
Old 12-18-2006

deckhanddave is on a distinguished road
Lets all just breath easy now, according to George and the gang, global warming is a myth. So I guess the early spring time temperatures, lack of snow, and high UV levels we are seeing in the north east are just a "stroke of good luck". On the positive side all the warm weather has made pulling the engine from my T30 much simpler. Thanks pollution! Not to sound too post apocalyptic, but it's a good thing we all have boats...
Old 12-18-2006
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
It was 55 degrees Fahrenheit here today, a few days away from Christmas. That's just wrong! It should be in the teens to twenties with a couple of feet of snow on the ground. I told my wife, though - in case of a cataclysmic environmental event, head for the boat!
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 12-18-2006

tjvanginkel is on a distinguished road
an inconvenient truth

Go see "an inconvenient truth" now out in DVD with Al Gore. He has some very convincing arguments to explain how extreme weather is related to greenhouse gases. I think we are starting to see the effects of global warming! Having just experienced the same series of lows, with the snow and winds, it sure makes you wonder....
Old 12-18-2006

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
It's simplistic to assume that "global warming" means we all get slightly warmer. Firstly, the effect is concentrated at the higher latitudes, and secondly, the true effect of that added warmth (how much is still under study) is added *energy* in the global weather system. The knock-on effect of this extra oomph appears to manifest in greater extremes: greater heat, unseasonable cold, odd winds (waaay too much east wind on the Great Lakes in the last ten years), and a general move away from "seasonality" to the sort of chaotic conditions we are noting of late.

As for the West Coast of N.A., however, that could be due to the large and persistent El Nino off Peru. I just read yesterday that NOAA is predicting it to continue to invert Pacific typical weather patterns until March 2007 at least.

I'm holding off buying those pilots and sailing directions keyed to each month. Might be readying for a reprint.
Old 12-18-2006

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
I watched An Inconvenient Truth just out of curiosity and felt like I got ripped off for 3 bucks, I couldn't figure out if it was a Jr High science lecture meant to frighten young childern or a " How I spent my life as a clueless environmental advocate " autobiography; Either way I thought it was pretty childish and a cheezy political ploy to granner public support for Kyoto from the young and impressionable.
Old 12-18-2006

Bluewater4us is on a distinguished road
I tell you I don't care what is causing it right now. I have enjoyed a beautiful day here in charleston. It was 75 sunny nice breeze. Damn nice day to be on a boat just before Christmas. It Probably is global warming. I heard or readsomething about it before I went away for a year that the average temp worldwide was up a couple of degrees and they were watching it. Damn I wish I could remember.......