SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Brewer Yacht Yards being sold?

8K views 38 replies 11 participants last post by  outbound 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone else hear the rumor or know any details? I hear they are selling to a larger marina company from down south. For those unfamiliar, Brewers has a few dozen marinas that extend from the Chesapeake to Maine, mostly in LIS and RI through Cape Cod.

I've been to 5 or 10 Brewer's marinas in New England over the years. They are generally well kept and maintained. Docks are typically high quality composite style, not the old potato chip wooden wobblers of the past. Couldn't say nicer things about our stay in Freeport, ME. Staff has generally been helpful, but they've always had a bit of a corporate feel. I have family who season in a couple of them in LIS.

Reputation for maintenance is highly variable as well as a reputation for nickle and dime-ing. I do have experience with this. Maybe the new owners will be for the better. I do worry that a southern company, buying a New England company could be a huge corporate culture clash. Staff and clients often suffer, when that happens and fees often increase so the new owners can make money on their investment. Then again, perhaps they'll take the edge off the Brewer reputation.

#2 ·
They are usually one of the more expensive options on the block but everyone I've stayed in (as a transient) was decent value. Their Brewers rewards type program was almost enough to sell me on a slip, it just didn't quite do the trick.

Owning so many marinas, I would think they could offer a better program for those who like to cruise and stay at other properties.

#3 ·
......Owning so many marinas, I would think they could offer a better program for those who like to cruise and stay at other properties.
I recall Brewer's program being 6 free stays at a sister marina, if you were both a summer and winter client, and 3 free, if just summer. Then all after that were heavily discounted, like 50% off. That's not too bad.

The only downside I find to these programs is very few marinas actually inventory transient slips (unless they don't sell out), so they can't commit to a reservation until shortly before arrival, when they know whether a seasonal tenant will be out cruising.

#4 ·
Actually, it is only 2 free nights if you only stay for the Summer. You are correct in that it is 6 free nights if you are there year round. Afterwards it is 50% off.

I have been in a Brewer yard for the last 6 seasons, but have never managed to use all of the free nights that I had available to me. The slips are in great shape, and are well kept. Most of them have a pool, and they have showers in the bathrooms (some of their marinas have better showers than others). They charge for electricity use, but not for water at my marina.

They charge me $120/foot for the season for my 35' boat, which is kept on a 32' finger pier. In my humble opinion, they should charge me for 32' and not 35'. I would think that they could also cut me a break on the $120/foot price because I've been there so long. It is easier (and cheaper) to keep an existing customer happy than it is to find a new one.

#5 ·
....They charge me $120/foot for the season for my 35' boat, which is kept on a 32' finger pier. In my humble opinion, they should charge me for 32' and not 35'.
That is frustrating, but not confined to Brewer. It's been the case at every marina I've ever been tied to. Worse, it's the "longer of" typically. If your boat was under 32', they would have charged for the slip length. Definitely doesn't seem fair. When you rent an apartment, you never pay by the occupant.

I would think that they could also cut me a break on the $120/foot price because I've been there so long. It is easier (and cheaper) to keep an existing customer happy than it is to find a new one.
Some marinas allow returning clients to pay their season in advance, over the winter, at a discount.

#7 ·
I've met Jack Brewer, who founded the company. I'm guess he's 80 by now. He started with one marina, just outside NYC. Have to give him credit for building an empire. Whenever I saw Brewer buy a marina, it was immediately upgraded with modern docks, power, etc. The entire franchise must be worth a fortune.

Latest word is the buyer is these guys (not positive). That a ton of fresh water inland marinas. I hope they understand the difference, if it's them.

Safe Harbor - Home

#12 ·
Their marinas are quite upscale and you pay for it. I've wintered on Greenport and then they bought the yard next to it which was quite nice and then it became extremely spendy. Mechanics and so forth seem OK. My only theft was my running rigging... if you can believe that and some coins I had on my nav station when I was in Brewer Greenport. I believe they allowed customers at one point to do their own work... that may have changed. Brewer was a high class reliable brand.

I avoid marinas for many reasons... two main ones being cost and I prefer privacy and quite of being moored or anchored. I suspect that this will only mean the prices go up and the service remains as the former level.

#13 ·
.....I avoid marinas for many reasons... two main ones being cost and I prefer privacy and quite of being moored or anchored.
A slip is expensive, no doubt. I rationalize it against paying real estate taxes on a water front home, which would actually be higher.

I too like the privacy of being at anchor, which we do each weekend. While there is always "that guy" at a slip that's likely to talk your head off, I've also made some close lifelong friends as slip neighbors.

I suspect that this will only mean the prices go up and the service remains as the former level.
My service experience at most marinas has been below expectations, most of the time. Brewer was no exception. Some things were fine, others were atrocious. I've had the experience of them misdiagnosing a problem, then making excuses and blaming everything else around and charging me more than estimated for the work that didn't solve the problem.

I have to pay for some tasks, as I either don't have the time, tools or expertise to take it on. However, if I do, I will always do a better job than the yard inmates.

If Brewers (new owner) raises their slip/mooring fees even higher, I have no doubt there will be an exodus.

#15 ·
Interesting. I just moved to a Brewer's yard from a mom and pop/no frills place. My new marina is light-years better maintained, with better facilities. My wife and I love the amenities. I like the staff too for the most part. I do all of my own work, but this past spring, I decided to give the yard a chance and let them do some maintenance work on my outboard (change the oil, new impeller, new plugs, etc.). I have to say that I would give them a "B". First, it took them about twice as long as they estimated to do the work. Part of that had to do with the fact that they ordered the wrong parts and didn't realize it until much later. They also failed to install a new zinc as I had asked them to (just plain forgot). On the flip side, when the realized they had screwed up the timing, they made some obvious efforts to prioritize my work. I may ask them to fix my steaming light this spring as it has frustratingly resisted all of my own efforts thus far.

I sure hope there are no big changes in quality or price, as I sure don't want to go backwards.

#17 ·
Ironically, I just talked to the staff at my home Brewer's yard an hour ago (for the first time, I'm going to be paying someone to do work on my boat!), and I forgot all about this. They owe me a call, probably next week; I'll try to remember to ask then and I'll report back.

#18 ·
We've kept the boat during the summer in Cove Haven. It's a great spot. I had them do three things before leaving to winter in the Caribbean. Install a genset, winterize a wesbasto, switch from wet cells to agms. None were done without error or serious miscommunication. All errors were from one mechanic. Rest of staff have been excellent.
If they raise rates will move to NEB or Hinckley as costs will be about the same.
If Massachusetts and Connecticut got smart and changed their tax laws a huge amount of business would move back to those states and R.I. Yard rates would come down. MA and Conn would get more tax revenue from workers income and sales taxes. They really shot themselves and the maritime industry in the foot.

#20 ·
Bill and Linda of the SDR tell me they have work done there and are well pleased from what I understand. Before passage I had them ( hinckley) inspect and tune the rig. They did a great job and it was quite an education. They put more prebend in, changed the various stroud tensions, made me aware of dissimilar metals in my furlers and put everything back together in a fashion to prevent ceasing. I learned better ways to furl ( put more backstay tension on prior to furling), easy way to judge amount of backstay at different points of sail and tws) and little tricks to use on a Solent rig.
Different experience than Brewers. I'm always on my boat but the rare times I'm not it seems it's then brewers works on my boat. I try very hard not to slow down yard workers or get in their way. I understand they need to move along. I have no problem lending a hand or a tool rather than having them walk back to the shop. But the mechanic I referenced before is difficult.

#21 ·
Before leaving for the Caribbean in 2010 I hauled at Dauntless Boatyard in Ct. They did whatever work I asked of them, but left me to do what I pleased, including the bottom. About 10 friends and I drank beer and did the bottom without hassles from the staff. Nice.
I was a bit miffed when I hauled in the Caribbean (2 years later) and found that the yards there haul the boat backwards, only needing to ease off the mizzen topping lift, while Dauntless felt it necessary to make me haul bow in and undo headstay and staysail stay. Who says the Caribbean islanders are less professional than a premier yard like Dauntless?
Also, my complete yard bill in Trini, with the yard doing ALL the work, was less than the haul/launch and lay days in Dauntless Boatyard. Plus, Power Boats threw in a topside wax job for free!
Over the years I seen lots of companies try to corner the marina market by buying them up right and left, but I've never seen one make a complete success of it. Running marinas in New England, the mid-Atlantic, the gulf and Fla are completely different. The weather, clientele, the onsite services and conveniences and transient customers are all things unique to each area in many ways. Not exactly conducive to a corporate one size fits all mentality. I think Brewer did it better than most, but it's unlikely the new company will do as well. Anyway, the property is more valuable to condo developers, so it's a moot point.
I can just see my grandchildren asking their dad what a marina was. "The place your grand dad kept his boat when he came to visit, son."

#22 ·
Brewers, in my limited experiences are well maintained very overpriced marinas for boat owners who spend a lot of time in the marina... the pool, the BBQ and so on. Only theft I had in 32 yrs was at Brewers Greenport... my running rigging was stolen and some change left on a small shelf.

As usual they are stealth repairers and only work when you are not on the boat... so you can't monitor what they are doing how much time was involved.

You need deep pockets to use their services.

#25 ·
Just received this;
Dear Brewer Members,

We are thrilled to announce today that Brewer Yacht Yard will officially be joining the Safe Harbor Marinas family, creating the largest owner and operator of U.S. marinas with 63 properties across 17 states.

This is exciting news as it merges two of the industry's most dedicated, passionate and complementary companies, enabling us to deliver even higher levels of service to our boaters. The combined scale of both our companies will ensure boaters have access to our world-class marinas and professional staff across even more locations.

While Brewer is becoming part of the Safe Harbor family, it is important to note that the legendary Brewer brand isn't going away and will continue to operate independently under the Safe Harbor umbrella. Additionally, the board and leadership of the combined company will be made up of executives from both Safe Harbor and Brewer. This will ensure our strategic vision, emphasis on the boating industry, family values and delivering long-term excellence remain ingrained throughout the company.

Finally, today's news will have no impact on our prices, contracts, or your points of contact. We remain committed to setting the standard for delivering professionalism and customer excellence across our industry and look forward to how we can provide even greater service in the future.

Thank you for your continued business. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out directly to your marina's General Manager.

Many thanks,

The Brewer Team

#27 ·
I wonder if the Brewer Card (free nights at a Brewer Marina) will now extend to Safe Harbor marinas...
Because "Brewer brand isn't going away and will continue to operate independently under the Safe Harbor umbrella" I doubt it.

#28 ·
" today’s news will have no impact on our prices" He didn't even bother to add, "....in the near future".
Yeah, right! Anybody wanna buy a bridge? I've got this nice little bridge between NY and NJ for sale cheap.........................

#29 ·
" today's news will have no impact on our prices" He didn't even bother to add, "....in the near future".
Yeah, right! Anybody wanna buy a bridge? I've got this nice little bridge between NY and NJ for sale cheap.........................
I would be equally inclined toward cynicism. However, Brewer is already known for having top priced marinas, albeit, in excellent repair and competitive amenities. I'm not sure the market would bear an increase in slip fees. I will bet they are more heavy handed on service billing, however.

I was once at a non-Brewer marina that mandated you pay them to commission your motor, prior to launching. You were not allowed to do it yourself. They had some lame reason, but it was a real money grab. That's the approach I would bet on with the new owners.

In the video, the Safe Harbors CEO says they are experienced at storage. I wasn't exactly sure what that meant.

#32 ·
... also, while I kept my boat at a Brewer marina during the Summer, I winter at a different (non-Brewer) marina, so they can't touch me.

#35 ·
Oil & filter change are part of my FALL layup procedure. I also remove and inspect the impeller. The impeller gets tossed if there are any cracks. Part of the spring re-commissioning is to re-install the old impeller. I have FIVE spare impellers aboard.

#36 ·
Before I relocated to the Brewer's in Branford, I made sure they had no problems with me doing my own bottom painting and other work. They assured me it was no problem (so long as I followed the rules); I just couldn't hire someone else to come on site and do work for me. I've heard a number of stories from other owners there about how strongly they enforce that rule.

#37 ·
.....I just couldn't hire someone else to come on site and do work for me.......
They will permit outside contractors. They have to be legit business, with liability insurance naming Brewers as a covered party. Then you have to pay Brewers a vig, either a percentage of the bill or an additional hourly rate. I've seen both.

They then argue that you should allow them to hire the contractor, as they'll negotiate a commercial discount, then get their vig by passing along the same hourly rate you would have paid yourself anyway. Many marine contractors refuse to work on Brewer's properties, even if allowed. I think the Brewer's staff treat them like scabs that crossed a picket line.

It's a weird system, but I can live with it much more easily than I can deal with the incompetent work done by the yard.

#38 ·
I spent the first year of owning my vessel re-doing everything that the Brewer yard had done for the previous owner. Electrical was a mess, and wires were run through the bilge, mechanical was a mess...
this is what Brewer did to it;

and this is what I did to it;

No eff'ing way will I let them touch my boat.

#39 ·
Been out cruising. Now have net. Got email from jack brewer about completion of "merger ". Already garnered permission to not use Nathan at cove Haven. Will see upon return to the states. He missed wired the installation of a genset. Hope my batteries last until I can buy new ones more cheaply than in leewards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.