Offshore 33 (I think) - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jeff_H

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 11-22-2016 Thread Starter

Offshore 33 (I think)

Helllo, I'm new to the forum and a new (to me) Offshore 33 owner. I just purchased an insurance boat that they had listed as a Clearwater Custom 32.2. My research has led me to believe that this is the Offshore 33. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, it is missing the forward mast/boom as it was broke during a storm. Other mast is laying on deck. My question (one of many) is how hard is it going to be to find a replacement mast? Or could I just turn it into a single mast forward, like the Nonsuch 33? I assume the diameter of the mast would be the same. What do you think? Thanks for your input.
Attached Thumbnails
F_9940_183001.JPG  

Last edited by klmiller37; 11-22-2016 at 04:42 PM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-22-2016

Re: Offshore 33 (I think)

Two versions of the Offshore 33 to choose from:

1. A Cheoy Lee designed (1971)mast head KETCH: OFFSHORE 33 (CHEOY LEE) SLOOP sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com, & OFFSHORE 33 (CHEOY LEE) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

2. A Water Scott designed (1978) Cat-Ketch: OFFSHORE 33 (SCOTT) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com The Cat-Ketch rig is unstayed ("wishbone" type boom system, w/ no rigging). Looks pretty much like the one you bought.
Its not going to sail very well at all with just one mast. A 'good rigger', will be invaluable in locating and installing the replacement.

Good Luck with your new boat!!!
post #3 of 6 Old 11-22-2016

I'm afraid that a new carbon mast for your unstayed rig will be obscenely expensive. Not sure if you can move the aft mast to replace the forward rig. You might be able to sail with the forward rig only but not with aft rig only. I would start looking for a used carbon fiber mast right away. And prepare to drive long way to get it.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato

post #4 of 6 Old 11-22-2016

The masts in these were aluminum not carbon. Find a used light pole from a parking lot as they spec about the same as the originals.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
post #5 of 6 Old 11-23-2016

Go with Rich's suggestion here. Hire a rigger to figure out how to fix this right. Whatever alterations you make to rig the boat a different way than it was designed will end up costing you more. Depending on how much damaged the storm caused be prepared to spend a lot of money getting the boat sailing again. You might be able to save some money by doing some of the legwork for the rigger but you should have someone to make sure you do it right and then rig it for you.

It looks like a lot of boat to be sitting on only two axles.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-23-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
The masts in these were aluminum not carbon. Find a used light pole from a parking lot as they spec about the same as the originals.
The spec for light poles and for aluminum freestanding masts are not at all alike. While there were manufacturers of boats with aluminum masts who turned to light pole manufacturer's for their spars, those spars had an extremely different specification than the light poles. Aluminum spars are generally 6061-T6, which is a structural grade of aluminum that has good corrosion resistance. Aluminum freestanding spars were usually 6061-T8 or 6061-T9 aluminum, which are higher tempered versions of 6061-T6.

Light poles are typically 6063-T3 which is much lower strength (only 80% of 6061-T6), 'non-structural' product with only moderate corrosion resistance that is mostly used for architectural features in buildings.

The masts also typically had thicker walls than the light poles as well.

It may be possible to get a light pole manufacturer to construct a mast section out of 6061-T6 and temper it to T-6, or T-8. But it would probably be considerably more expensive than a stock light pole, and perhaps with the new boom and sail more expensive than the boat would be worth if retored and with the spars in place.

That does appear to be an Offshore 33. It would not sail worth a darn with only one stock mast no matter where you placed it. The Nonesuch was designed from scratch as a system to be catboat. The Offshore 33 was not; being designed from scratch to be cat ketch and so the stability, keel profile etc, does not lend itself to that adaptation to a catboat.

Jeff
ebourg likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 11-23-2016 at 09:19 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.