Teaching on YOUR boat? - SailNet Community
 51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 72 Old 12-08-2016 Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

Teaching on YOUR boat?

I stopped by my "summer" employer yesterday. While there they told me that they are changing the organization dramatically. They have decided that they are a cruising school, and as such they will teach cruising on cruising (30 foot) boats (with a wheel). The school is getting rid of all but two 30 foot boats, and these will be used for ASA 101 (sailing) and 103 (docking and anchoring). All other courses will be taught on the instructor's boats, and the instructor will be compensated for the use of their boat.

My take on this is; owning, and maintaining a boat will be a condition of employment, at least to teach 104 & 106. Because I am one of the 104 instructors, the change in policy also seems to push me toward putting my boat's ownership into a company, that I will work for. The boat expenses (maintenance, storage, slip, insurance, depreciation, equipment) will be borne by the company that owns my boat, and not me personally.

Also, related to another thread; because I would be teaching on MY boat, gratuities will be refused.

Thoughts?

And, how would one go about doing this??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by eherlihy; 12-08-2016 at 07:59 AM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 Old 12-08-2016

Re: Teaching on YOUR boat?

wow, that's interesting!

My first reaction is why stay associated w/their business. If you provide the instruction and the boat, the only thing left is advertising. I guess some folks "want" a "certificate" from the mother ship, so maybe that wouldn't work, but if I was starting out I'd be much more interested in learning from the right instructor than organization. Don't know how ASA works, but could you issue certs as an independent entity?

I'm no lawyer, but have run some small companies. The advice I get is always the same, LLC's, S-Corps, C-Corps provide minimal protection against personal liability. Anyone can sue you for any reason at any time. I'm not sure a complex structure does anything but enrich the legal profession.

I think however you'll need to get your insurance company involved to cover liability and make sure the boat insurance covers this commercial operation, even if all you do is run a sole proprietorship.

From your posts here my guess is you're a very good instructor. Best of luck!
post #3 of 72 Old 12-08-2016
Dirt Free

I'd want to carefully read the contract before commenting .... way too many variables.
eherlihy and jwing like this.

Be the man Sharon thinks I am - wg
I can do that
- wg
Be the master of your own disaster - wg
If you're not laughing, you're not doing it right. - wg
if you can live with the consequences, go for it. - wg
I yam what I yam an' thats all that I yam. - Popeye

post #4 of 72 Old 12-08-2016

On the surface this SEEMS like it might be a good situation for an LLC, but mostly I agree with boatpoker. Get thee to a lawyer before you sign anything!
RichH and eherlihy like this.
post #5 of 72 Old 12-08-2016 Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

Great questions guys! Here are some answers;

There are no contracts... Clients must sign a waiver of liability (and yes, I know that these waivers are BS - but that does not stop either of the schools for which teach or every ski areas that I ever visited from using one).

ASA provides an umbrella liability insurance policy that protects the school and the instructor. I also have a damage and liability policy on my boat. The current liability insurance that I carry on the boat is not a commercial policy, however.

ASA also prohibits their instructors from issuing ASA certification. Instructors provide instruction, assess skills, administer tests, and sign the log book; but only an ASA affiliated school can offer ASA certification.

Finally, I currently own my boat as personal property. I was recently advised to transfer the ownership of the vessel into a trust.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

Last edited by eherlihy; 12-08-2016 at 08:52 AM.
post #6 of 72 Old 12-08-2016
Master Mariner

Regarding gratuities, would you be actually earning significantly more money? I can't see why you would turn down a thank you in the form of money, especially if it is unsolicited.
Anybody can thank you profusely, smile and shake your hand, not really meaning any of it, but giving you some of their hard earned money, especially after forking over a significant amount for the class, shows more than common civility.
I regard tips as a gauge of how well one does their job, especially when they are not compulsory. Refusing a tip can be terribly awkward at times and just gracefully accepting them is the proper thing to do.
davidpm likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

post #7 of 72 Old 12-08-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
............ or every ski areas that I ever visited from using one).
Probably would apply to sailing instructor pursuits .... at ski areas the use of waivers for 'volunteer' employees (instructors, ski patrollers, etc.) is usually accompanied by carefully crafted legal 'fine print' in the required waiver: (paraphrasing) the volunteer employee becomes an 'agent', not an actual employee. An 'employee', by most state corporate statutes, is protected from liability due to actual (legal) employment and is usually covered by the corporate liability policies ... by law; 'agents' can be considered as independent contractors.
In such situations (as an 'agent') the 'volunteer' (or 'agent') is or may not be protected from liability by the employer; although, the employer/contractor of 'the agent' may have 'the agent' included in their liability coverage ... Get such in WRITING !!!!!!!

Just for a moment ask yourself: exactly why such a 'school' is requiring you to expose yourself and your boat to such potential liability?
I think when a corporate entity is demanding that you and your boat is being used to 'teach' .... you are entering a legal limbo that may have grave consequences for your own position vs. responsibility of liability, etc. Methinks you've got to have these legal/liability issues all worked out in advance and agreed to, long before you begin.
You're going to need a lawyer and you're going to need at least supplemental personal insurance vs. potential liability, unless you have a clear WRITTEN contract that assigns all such liability responsibility to 'the school'. - IMO.
Repeat - Just for a moment ask yourself: exactly why such a 'school' is requiring you to expose yourself and your boat to such potential liability?
jwing likes this.

Last edited by RichH; 12-08-2016 at 09:42 AM.
post #8 of 72 Old 12-08-2016 Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

... and technically I am not an employee, but a contractor (1099) to both schools.

post #9 of 72 Old 12-08-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
... and technically I am not an employee, but a contractor (1099) to both schools.
then YOUR boat and YOUR liability responsibility - IMO.
Ajax_MD and jwing like this.

Last edited by RichH; 12-08-2016 at 09:52 AM.
post #10 of 72 Old 12-08-2016

"Eherlihy School of Sailing"

Has a nice ring to it!
eherlihy, davidpm and jwing like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.