Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2007

owlmtn is on a distinguished road
Love These threads

These re-naming threads are every bit as entertaining as the periodic teak re-finishing wars. My question would be what happens if you don't name your boat at all? Just asking. Jim L
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2007

kennya is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by owlmtn
These re-naming threads are every bit as entertaining as the periodic teak re-finishing wars. My question would be what happens if you don't name your boat at all? Just asking. Jim L
Since the PO of my boat did not name the boat, the owner of naming her fell on me. Itís just like my boat spent 20 + years in transient. Sailors are a superstitious lot and I fall in that category, I recommend following the outlined rituals to the letter. Har Har
Old 01-03-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Neptune likes names -- sort of

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlmtn
1) I read once that a boat without a name leads one to believe that the boat has no soul.

2) A very successful racer here on the northern Chesapeake never names his boats. Go figure. Guess he wins because his boat is soul-less?

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 01-03-2007

TXS-ALAMO is on a distinguished road
As with all superstitions, the problems on renaming and naming of a boat are based on the logical fallacy of Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc. That is, after this, therefore because of this. I recommend you disregard all the superstitions regarding boat names, and everything else, nautical and otherwise, and replace it with the logic of Occam's Razor. It makes life a lot easier! Of course my father used to get upset when we threw a hat on the bed or opened an umbrella in the house!
Old 01-03-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
How exactly do you disregard everything nautical when you are trying to name a BOAT?
Old 01-03-2007

garyp is on a distinguished road
Hunh ??????
Old 01-03-2007

TXS-ALAMO is on a distinguished road
T34C, disregard the nautical superstition, not the nautical. If I believed in superstition, I certainly wouldn't have named my boat ALAMO, that has a certain fatal connotation!
Old 01-03-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
ALAMO does carry a bit of a cloud over it. At least it's easy to remember!
Old 01-03-2007

Kernix is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I've read sanding the name off and letting the boat sit for a while with no name in hopes she "forgets" her former name - then you can rename - but also read thet it's a good idea to keep a bell with the old name on it - or something like that - does that make sense?

Also, anyone know when/where the superstition came from? I know that in all wars it was common practice to capture enemy ships or neutral ships that ran supplies to the enemy - at which the boats would be renamed by the capturing company - and this was common up to WWI at least - but what often happened if the ship was sunk or recaptured - maybe the superstition came from the result of the recapture or sinking after renaming. It would be interesting to know.
Old 01-03-2007

jones2r is on a distinguished road
My understanding is that superstition is not so much at play as practicality. When ships got reputations due to bad voyages or incompetent command, it was difficult to get sailors to sign on. The owner(s) would often rename a ship simply to duck the reputation, and sailors were always wary of the practice.

Renaming of captured ships I don't believe carried the same stigma.

So what you need to watch out for is the owner who renames a boat BEFORE selling it to you. It could portend Bad Luck!

And if you capture a boat, it's probably best to rename it (and do something with the VIN).

Last edited by jones2r; 01-03-2007 at 02:27 PM.