Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2006

JIMIKE is on a distinguished road
Boat Name

I need some old salts to clear this up for me.In the last article of GOOD OLD BOAT , I read in an article where it was bad luck to change the name of a boat. I recently purchased a Pearson 30. I don't like the name too much. Its OK ,but I had something else in mind.I sure don't want GHOSTS ,GOBLINS, and bad weather GODS coming after me. THANKS JIMIKE
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-27-2006

SteveCox is on a distinguished road
It is considered bad luck but it can also be done. Take a look at this:

http://www.48north.com/mr_offline/denaming.htm
Old 12-27-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
There are definitely prescribed rituals for renaming vessels, and those that ignore them do so at their own peril.

However, I am one of those. We have renamed a number of boats over the years without bowing to the superstitious warnings of those that believe. We have not had any problems (he says as he raps his knuckles on the nearest piece of wood)

So is there anything to all this renaming nonsense? To my mind probably not - but its fun to read about the best ways to do so. Try this: http://www.namethatboat.com/boat-renaming.htm

And make your own call.....
Old 12-28-2006
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road
Just make sure to drink alot of good rum or Scotch during the ritual.
Old 12-28-2006
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
The real problem with most of the original rituals is the requirement to pour the urine of a virgin over the bow. Given that virgins are in short supply these days, most people resort to using champagne -- but nothing too cheap of course.

But I am also with Faster. I changed the name of my Pearson 33-2 when I bought her 3 years ago and never followed through with one of the various ceremonies. I did, however, remove all remnants of her original name from the boat. Plus, her new name is so much more dignified than her old one. And every time I have brought a bottle of bubbly aboard I end up drinking it rather than pouring it over the side to pay homage to Neptune. I figure Neptune understands.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 12-28-2006

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorMitch
The real problem with most of the original rituals is the requirement to pour the urine of a virgin over the bow. Given that virgins are in short supply these days, most people resort to using champagne -- but nothing too cheap of course.

But I am also with Faster. I changed the name of my Pearson 33-2 when I bought her 3 years ago and never followed through with one of the various ceremonies. I did, however, remove all remnants of her original name from the boat. Plus, her new name is so much more dignified than her old one. And every time I have brought a bottle of bubbly aboard I end up drinking it rather than pouring it over the side to pay homage to Neptune. I figure Neptune understands.
I, too, have changed the name of every boat that I've owned and am in the process of trying to come up with a new name for my new boat right now. So far, without incident (knock wood). In each case I considered a ceremony but never got around to it. Maybe on the new one, though.
Old 12-28-2006

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Names...names....names....

I knew a guy named John Wind Fart, he kept hearing jokes about his name, one day, tired of the jokes, and because he needed a fresh start, he changed it to.... Mike Wind fart.

The solution is you buy the boat, you change the name, to one of your likings, then, within 2 weeks you must come and visit Portugal. You must stay here until you either drink 25 different brands of red wines, or you sail our coast from North to south.

Then you are free to go....and sail with the new name. What is the difference???

NONE, but at least you met my Country and got drunk on our wines...and after you do that, you are now good to die, because you lived life to the fullest....

So if your boat sinks, you are ready!! If it does not sink, then its good too, you will die later, but for sure you will die!!

Consider it like going to Rome and not seeing the Pope!!
Old 12-28-2006

Concordia is on a distinguished road
The boat denaming ceremony is the right of passage for anyone stuck with, as I was, a vessel with a crummy name. Here's the verse I used to swap "Kiss Me Kate" for "Shiraz."
http://www.latitude38.com/features/dename.htm
Old 12-29-2006

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
It may only be superstition but if you're wrong and it is true, that renaming will cause bad luck, you'll be truly sorry you did not follow the proper renaming ritual. If you follow the proper ritual, regardless if it's only superstition or not you will be protected from bad luck. Why take the chance?
Old 01-02-2007

MaineCub is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MaineCub Send a message via MSN to MaineCub Send a message via Yahoo to MaineCub Send a message via Skype™ to MaineCub
Correct me if I am wrong, but is it also part of the cermony / supersitition to never mention the old name again?