SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Boat Name

3K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Giulietta 
#1 ·
I need some old salts to clear this up for me.In the last article of GOOD OLD BOAT , I read in an article where it was bad luck to change the name of a boat. I recently purchased a Pearson 30. I don't like the name too much. Its OK ,but I had something else in mind.I sure don't want GHOSTS ,GOBLINS, and bad weather GODS coming after me. THANKS JIMIKE

#3 ·
There are definitely prescribed rituals for renaming vessels, and those that ignore them do so at their own peril.

However, I am one of those. We have renamed a number of boats over the years without bowing to the superstitious warnings of those that believe. We have not had any problems (he says as he raps his knuckles on the nearest piece of wood<g>)

So is there anything to all this renaming nonsense? To my mind probably not - but its fun to read about the best ways to do so. Try this: http://www.namethatboat.com/boat-renaming.htm

And make your own call.....

#5 ·
The real problem with most of the original rituals is the requirement to pour the urine of a virgin over the bow. Given that virgins are in short supply these days, most people resort to using champagne -- but nothing too cheap of course.

But I am also with Faster. I changed the name of my Pearson 33-2 when I bought her 3 years ago and never followed through with one of the various ceremonies. I did, however, remove all remnants of her original name from the boat. Plus, her new name is so much more dignified than her old one. And every time I have brought a bottle of bubbly aboard I end up drinking it rather than pouring it over the side to pay homage to Neptune. I figure Neptune understands.

#6 ·
SailorMitch said:
The real problem with most of the original rituals is the requirement to pour the urine of a virgin over the bow. Given that virgins are in short supply these days, most people resort to using champagne -- but nothing too cheap of course.

But I am also with Faster. I changed the name of my Pearson 33-2 when I bought her 3 years ago and never followed through with one of the various ceremonies. I did, however, remove all remnants of her original name from the boat. Plus, her new name is so much more dignified than her old one. And every time I have brought a bottle of bubbly aboard I end up drinking it rather than pouring it over the side to pay homage to Neptune. I figure Neptune understands.
I, too, have changed the name of every boat that I've owned and am in the process of trying to come up with a new name for my new boat right now. So far, without incident (knock wood). In each case I considered a ceremony but never got around to it. Maybe on the new one, though.

#7 ·
Names...names....names....

I knew a guy named John Wind Fart, he kept hearing jokes about his name, one day, tired of the jokes, and because he needed a fresh start, he changed it to.... Mike Wind fart.

The solution is you buy the boat, you change the name, to one of your likings, then, within 2 weeks you must come and visit Portugal. You must stay here until you either drink 25 different brands of red wines, or you sail our coast from North to south.

Then you are free to go....and sail with the new name. What is the difference???

NONE, but at least you met my Country and got drunk on our wines...and after you do that, you are now good to die, because you lived life to the fullest....

So if your boat sinks, you are ready!! If it does not sink, then its good too, you will die later, but for sure you will die!!

Consider it like going to Rome and not seeing the Pope!!

#9 ·
It may only be superstition but if you're wrong and it is true, that renaming will cause bad luck, you'll be truly sorry you did not follow the proper renaming ritual. If you follow the proper ritual, regardless if it's only superstition or not you will be protected from bad luck. Why take the chance?

#12 ·
owlmtn said:
These re-naming threads are every bit as entertaining as the periodic teak re-finishing wars. My question would be what happens if you don't name your boat at all? Just asking. Jim L
Since the PO of my boat did not name the boat, the owner of naming her fell on me. It's just like my boat spent 20 + years in transient. Sailors are a superstitious lot and I fall in that category, I recommend following the outlined rituals to the letter. Har Har

#13 ·
Neptune likes names -- sort of

owlmtn said:
These re-naming threads are every bit as entertaining as the periodic teak re-finishing wars. My question would be what happens if you don't name your boat at all? Just asking. Jim L
1) I read once that a boat without a name leads one to believe that the boat has no soul.

2) A very successful racer here on the northern Chesapeake never names his boats. Go figure. Guess he wins because his boat is soul-less?

#14 ·
As with all superstitions, the problems on renaming and naming of a boat are based on the logical fallacy of Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc. That is, after this, therefore because of this. I recommend you disregard all the superstitions regarding boat names, and everything else, nautical and otherwise, and replace it with the logic of Occam's Razor. It makes life a lot easier! Of course my father used to get upset when we threw a hat on the bed or opened an umbrella in the house!

#19 ·
Yeah, I've read sanding the name off and letting the boat sit for a while with no name in hopes she "forgets" her former name - then you can rename - but also read thet it's a good idea to keep a bell with the old name on it - or something like that - does that make sense?

Also, anyone know when/where the superstition came from? I know that in all wars it was common practice to capture enemy ships or neutral ships that ran supplies to the enemy - at which the boats would be renamed by the capturing company - and this was common up to WWI at least - but what often happened if the ship was sunk or recaptured - maybe the superstition came from the result of the recapture or sinking after renaming. It would be interesting to know.

#20 · (Edited)
My understanding is that superstition is not so much at play as practicality. When ships got reputations due to bad voyages or incompetent command, it was difficult to get sailors to sign on. The owner(s) would often rename a ship simply to duck the reputation, and sailors were always wary of the practice.

Renaming of captured ships I don't believe carried the same stigma.

So what you need to watch out for is the owner who renames a boat BEFORE selling it to you. It could portend Bad Luck!

And if you capture a boat, it's probably best to rename it (and do something with the VIN).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.