Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2006
Whaa? I hit yer...? Naah!

Gulfcoastbreeze is on a distinguished road
Community boatbuilding in Classic Yacht magazine

There's an article about Brooklyn Boatworks, an organization in NYC teaching public school kids how to build Optis, in the new issue of classic yacht (www.classicyachtmag.com). It looks like a great idea! Does anyone know of programs like this in other cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-28-2006

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
I am the Program Director at The Hudson Fisheries Trust in Beacon New York. We teach boatbuilding to children in a similar program. We also have presentations on marlinspike work, design and the history of boats among other programs. Stop by our web site at www.fisheriestrust.org and look around.

We just launched “Clare” last month. We named her after one of the children that helped build both this boat and the Shad boat we built last year. The "Clare" is one of my designs and you can check out a couple of pictures at www.offsoundings.info/clare.htm
All the best,
Robert Gainer
Old 12-28-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Bob..what a beauty! We have a similar boat building program here in NC for kids and adults...really nice to see the kids complete their boats and go sailing on something they made themselves!
Old 12-28-2006

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
T34,
I've been thinking about building a small skiff for a couple of years now. Your "Clare" is beautiful. Do you have plans and kits available, or do I have to sign up for a course? Being from Chicago might make it difficult to attend one of your courses.
Old 12-29-2006

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1
T34,
I've been thinking about building a small skiff for a couple of years now. Your "Clare" is beautiful. Do you have plans and kits available, or do I have to sign up for a course? Being from Chicago might make it difficult to attend one of your courses.
Thanks Camaraderie and Sailortjk1 for the nice comments. We aren’t quite ready to support builders outside our own shop so we don’t sell any plans yet. It is something I would like to do in the future but I can’t see doing it until we move into the new shop and have move of a support staff.

More then that, this boat was designed to be built and used by children. There are some aspects of the design that make her hard to use if you are a full-sized person. For instance the freeboard amidships is such that we can build the boat with the minimum amount of plywood but the freeboard is such that I can’t row the boat comfortable. She is light enough for young kids to move around, launch and recover but is so under built that we consider her a toy and don’t worry about lifespan. After all, more boats will be in the pipeline so children in the program start with building the boat then using the boat to learn to sail and then they move on to larger boats. If the kids enjoy building boats then there are larger more substantial boats to build after this one but some kids will stay with the sailing part of the program and that’s fine with us.

The only concession to adults is the choice of rigs available for the boat. In the days before engines it was common to have the small workboats designed to use either a “summer” rig or a “winter” rig depending on conditions. We have done the same thing and the pictures you saw were taken with the “summer” rig with a 21’ mast on a 15’ foot boat. Much too much sail area for the kids but I have enough weight that we could get away with it. The rig for the kids uses a shorter mast and smaller sail.
All the best,
Robert Gainer
Old 12-29-2006

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Robert,
Keep up the good work. Introducing the young generation to boating is a great achievement. I'll never forget the first time my father took me down to the local Forest Preserve and we rented a 14 footer. I was hooked from my first day on the water.

I'll keep my dream of building that skiff a little while longer. It will happen soon enough.
Old 03-30-2007

Does anyone know of a program like this in Florida, maybe on the gulf coast from Tampa to Ft. Myers?

GCB
Old 03-30-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfcoastbreeze
Does anyone know of a program like this in Florida, maybe on the gulf coast from Tampa to Ft. Myers?

GCB
GCB I don't know of one, but in SF there is one run by the Park Service. They maintain a pier that houses the Balclutha, an old square rigger. On the pier they have lots of boat building programs etc. So keep looking, I bet there is something there.

Vaya con Dios
Old 04-03-2007

Thanks, BF. Does the program you mention have a website? I have some friends in San Fran who might like to know about it.

GCB

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.