How do I put a picture in my Avatar (if that is what it is called)? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2006

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
How do I put a picture in my Avatar (if that is what it is called)?

I am a computer ninny. If I wanted to put a photo next to my name above my posts, like many here have done, how would I go about doing it?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-28-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
CB...Go to UserCP at top left...then click on Edit Avatar on left menu...then go to the dialog box that you see below and click on upload avatar from your own computer and just brose to find your avatar picture which must be no bigger than80x80 pixels...upload and you're done.

If you have a custom avatar and want to keep it as it is, leave the fields below as they are.
Use Custom Avatar .... You may upload a new custom image using the controls below.
Either enter the URL to the image you wish to use, or use the upload control to upload an image directly from your own computer. Enter Avatar URL: OR
Upload an Avatar From Your Computer: BROWSE
Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 80 by 80 pixels or 19.5 KB (whichever is smaller).

Unless you have a prepared avatar that meets the above requirments you will need some editing software that will let you reduce the size of an existing picture or cut out a section of it.
Old 12-28-2006
learning to sail

RayMetz100 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to RayMetz100
PM me your password and I'll give you a copy of MY avatar.

Edited by Cam!! Take that you rascal!!!
Old 12-29-2006

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
CB...Go to UserCP at top left...then click on Edit Avatar on left menu...then go to the dialog box that you see below and click on upload avatar from your own computer and just brose to find your avatar picture which must be no bigger than80x80 pixels...upload and you're done.

If you have a custom avatar and want to keep it as it is, leave the fields below as they are.
Use Custom Avatar .... You may upload a new custom image using the controls below.
Either enter the URL to the image you wish to use, or use the upload control to upload an image directly from your own computer. Enter Avatar URL: OR
Upload an Avatar From Your Computer: BROWSE
Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 80 by 80 pixels or 19.5 KB (whichever is smaller).

Unless you have a prepared avatar that meets the above requirments you will need some editing software that will let you reduce the size of an existing picture or cut out a section of it.
Many thanks. Now I just have to figure out how to reduce a picture to 80 X 80.
Old 12-29-2006
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
CB,
I use Photoshop for editing digital images, but if you don't have any editing programs go to this free photo hosting site - www.photobucket.com

Once you register for an account, upload a photo from a file on your computer by clicking on Create - dosen't matter what size it is. Once the photo shows up in the review screen, click on Edit, then Resize. Select Avatar, which is preset to 75 x 100 pixels - different proportion than 80 x 80, but could be permitted by CAM (?). Then simply copy the URL & paste it onto SailNet.
Old 12-29-2006
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Cam's avatar is sized at 100 x 150 pixels, but only 14010 bytes, less than the 19.5 maximum allowed KB. Mine is 69 x 76 pixels, but 19113 bytes - still under the maximum.
Old 12-29-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Here's an alternative...go to...http://www.irfanview.com/
and download the free photo viewing editing program which is quite neat.
Once you have the program open...just drag and drop the picture you want.
Then go to the "image" menu choice and select "resize/resample" and then specify 80x80...and save the resulting avatar sized image.
Then follow the instructions I gave yu for uploading to sail net.
Oh yeah...if you want a bigger avatar that still meets the requirements, you can uuse the same image menu to reduce color depth to cut down on the size of the file.
You can do lots of other photo stuff with Irfan view including slide shows so it is worth having and the price is right!