Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2006

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Marine Wholesalers?

Who does everybody use for a Marine Wholesalers/Internet Sales?

I just priced a small item.
Shore power Adaptor 104A by Marinco.

West Marine $54.99
Go2 Marine $52.00
Defender $46.49
(Sorry Sailnet, your price was the about the same as West Marine)

Defender seems to be the best; I have used Go2 and liked them,
Who does everybody else use?
Are there others that you can recommend?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-28-2006
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
I use Defender extensively. Not only are their prices good, but if you have a question they are very good at getting you the info. Also, I once had the hose on my Avon inflatable split and they sent me a new one free of charge - I didn't have to go through Avon. Absolutely wonderful. Their custom stuff is good too. I've ordered more than one anchor chain/line spliced and they do a great job, cheap. I also buy from Landfall Navigation and from Fawcett's in Annapolis (their e-commerce site hasn't worked for some time though - you have to call them).
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 12-28-2006

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Besides Sailnet and West Marine, I've used Sailboatowners.com

I'll have to checkout Defender & Go2
Old 12-28-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I've bought two items through Sailnet and they were cheaper than Defender, though I do check the Defender catalog before deciding whether to buy local or internet/mail order. Also, how soon I need it is a factor.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

Old 12-28-2006
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Actually, my marina's Ship's Store: http://www.shipsstoreandrigging.com/ always matches or beats any advertised competitor's price. If they don't stock it, they will get it.
Old 12-28-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
If you are just buying one of something--a wholesaler often won't sell it to you. Ones are retail. Wholesale is for resellers, with a government resale/tax id number, who usually buy case lots or at least, many items in each order.

Marine electrical parts tend to be expensive, and unavailable outside of the usual marine retailers. If you are buying wholesale lots, folks like Ancor will sell to you. But unless you're buying 100 pieces at a time, the discount retailers like West & all will probably still be able to resell for less than you can buy for.
Old 12-30-2006

Esconditas is on a distinguished road
Boatfix.com has good prices, in fact, maybe better than sailnet

Jim S/v Esconditas B79
Old 12-30-2006

trantor12020 is on a distinguished road
I'm from Singapore and use mainly West Marine and Go2Marine 'cos their site calculates cost of shipping immediately. Generally, Go2Marine is cheaper than WM.
Old 12-30-2006
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
Generally, everything is cheaper than West Marine. That being said, they also usually have it available immediately when I need it...so they get a share of my boat budget every year.

I find Sailnet competitive and use them because of this site which they support. I also use Defender because they have great inventory and pricing. Usually a toss up between them and Sailnet, with Defender having a better selection overall. Spread those dollars around.
Old 12-30-2006
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
tjk1,
When it comes to the retail market today, there are no discounters. Most of the people talking about price differences are talking about 5-10% at most. Having said that, the most important factors in purchasing on-line are price, warranty, and delivery. You will find some items radically different in price between suppliers, although that is not the norm, but it is a reason to shop all of them before buying.
Most of the bricks and mortar people are competetive with on-line within reason. I don't beat them up too much over it because I'm getting knowledgable advise with the product and that's worth quite a bit. In my area of SW Michigan I have 3 west marine stores within reasonable distance to me. Holland is ok. Benton Harbor/St Joseph stinks. Grand Rapids is great. The guys and gals in GR aren't afraid to steer you away from a product. I learned more in 15 minutes on fiberglas repair than I could have read in a week. Guess which store I go to? I also tend to order through that store and if I can get it there I buy it there. I do that because that's the only way that store will stay open and be there for me-the corporate types only see sales (and certainly not sails!). The Benton Harbor store has lost my business through apathetic sales help. The other advantage to this relationship is on warranty/return. If somethings not right-they make it right because they see me all the time and ultimately I'm writing their paycheck. You can rarely get that kind of service on-line or over the phone.

One place where I have gotten some deals is Wolf's Marine in Benton Harbor,MI. It's a place that buys up stuff from all over and prices it to sell. You can spend a day wandering around in there. Some of the stuff has dust a half inch thick on it and they will deal with you. Wonderful, experienced staff as well. They are on line but, like most places like this, they don't have the staff to put everything on the web. Their web site is so-so. The best way of course is to go there in person. How else are you going to buy $199 worth of stuff you didn't know you couldn't live without? If you call them up-ask for Mike or Richard, they're the sailing mavens. One thing I can tell you they do have is the $40 clinometer (dual scale) you see in the WM catalog, for $15, and they've got about 50 of 'em. Enjoy.