Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2006

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsbug
I am looking for a first boat, and noticed the magazine "Practical sailor"
Has any one subscribed?
Decent rag?
I am looking for the ideal trailerable boat that can be pulled behind a chevy tahoe, and launched at most any inland lake.
Ability to sleep 4, and have room below in case the weather turns bad.
MacGregor makes the most popular trailer sailer and it fits your criteria. Look at a used one, try it for a season, then decide if it is a keep or sell. You should not lose too much on your investment if you buy used.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2006

mstern is on a distinguished road
I subscribed to Practical Sailor, but let it lapse. It is not a magazine that will help you pick a good starter sailboat. PS focusses on reviewing products for the higher end of the market. The final straw for me was the article comparing knives that cost at least $70 each. Although PS does review used sailboats, it is rare when they will look at one with your specs.

There is a thread on this site that was started by someone looking for a sailing magazine for small boat sailors. I don't know how to link it here, but this is the address:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/genera...magazines.html

As some of the other posters have said, you have some specs that are at cross purposes, and you will probably have to compromise somewhere. My two cents: sail in as many boats as you can before you buy something. That way you will get to know what is important to you and what you can do without. Maybe you will find that a large cockpit is more important than four berths; maybe you will want a head in a separate compartment. Until you sail on a few boats you won't know. I was sure I knew what I wanted until I started sailing regularly. After time-sharing on a Catalina 22 and sailing a Pearson 26, Cape Dory Typhoon, and other boats, my list of "must haves" changed considerably. There are things I wish were different about my boat, but after eight years, I am still sure that this is the boat that fills my needs best out of all of the choices.
Old 12-29-2006
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
BoatWorks and Bluewater Sailing are two great mags in addition to Ocean Navigator, L&A and Cruising World (Yes, I like it). SAIL is also getting better (notice I didn't say great). As I mentioned in the other thread, I think Precision makes a great trailerable boat (which is why I bought one) meeting your criteria.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 12-29-2006

ptsbug is on a distinguished road
I'm keenly interested in an Oday 25, but it needs a trailer.
I found a paceship 23 that I can pick up for a reasonable amount with a trailer, and probably use that for a few years.
Old 12-29-2006
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Had ps and dropped it. Good at what they do, but not relavent, on a consistent basis, to me. Good Old Boat is universally admired-in fact, I think you can tell when it hits the mailbox because nobody is in sailnet that night! Check out www.sailboatowners.com ,they have a trailer-sailer forum. I have a 21' Cal that technically sleeps four (it can) but that's not the same as saying four people can comfortably sit below and play cribbage until the rain stops. My boat weighs 1100 lbs, has a swing keel, and tows wonderfully. There are a lot of boats this size out there-but you won't find too many sellers taking out expensive ads to sell them so you have to look a little harder.
Check out the trailer and how the boat fits on it as well. The good news is that boats in this class, and price range, will sell in a few years for about what you paid for it.
Old 12-30-2006

deckhanddave is on a distinguished road
my vote is also with "Good Old Boat". Their magazine is a real cover to cover read and it really is the magazine for everyone else (else meaning those who aren't on the market for a brand new 200k investment). I have a subscription to practical sailor as well but have noticed an alarming number of serious errors in their issues. Errors like doing a rating of winches and stating the wrong facts for the winch. Though this doesn't seem like a life altering error, it effected the outcome of their test. If you were to just jump into that article without any prior research, you'd be at a severe disadvantage.
Old 12-30-2006

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorMitch
Practical Sailor is aimed more at testing and recommending gear, bottom paints, anchors, etc. While it does have boat reviews, that is not the reason most people subscribe to it. I have subscribed for years and wouldn't be without it. SNIP
I subscribe to Pratical Sailor and it appears to be published by the same outfit that publishes Aviation Consumer which I've subscribed to off and on over my years as a pilot and found very useful.

As new boat owners we find many if not most of the articles in PS are of interest,, but suspect that after a couple of years you will have seen most of what there is to see evaluated and the articles will start to be repetitive. At least that's how it went with our subsctiption to Aviation Consumer. At that point I switched to a cycle where I resubcribe for a year every couple of years to see what's new.
Old 12-30-2006
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
A lot of what PS publishes gets handed down by members on this site, so I get the info anyway. Sailnet does seem to have allied with them to the extent of publishing their boat reviews.
Old 12-30-2006

pigslo is on a distinguished road
I have always read PS with a wary eye as I have found numerous inconsistencies in their methodology. ! example was their test of adhesives where they determined that 5200 was not very sticky. I know oterwise and after looking at their test method (different size gobs on the end of wooden dowels) I can see why. This invalidated the findings for me. That being said, they do test a wide range of products and if you read the test method, you can usually figure out if the info is any good.
pigslo
Old 12-30-2006

LyleRussell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to LyleRussell
I have had good luck with Practical Sailor over the past 20 years. I keep the old issues in a binder because I find things of interest years later. Primarily excellent product evaluations.