Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2006

deckhanddave is on a distinguished road
well designed interiors

With my interior rebuild swiftly approaching I've been scouring the docks and the net for ideas. Since I have to rip out the entire starboard liner to do repairs, I basically get to redesign the galley, icebox, hanging locker, and starboard side QB. I don't like the inefficiency of the layout in the T30. Its amazing how many areas are hidden by the liner and I would love to make a U shaped galley. Any boats I should look at for interior ideas?

Last edited by deckhanddave; 12-31-2006 at 12:25 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2006

paulk is on a distinguished road
Beneteau seems pretty good at squeezing all sorts of good ideas into their interiors, though their scantlings seem a bit light to me. Do you lose the quarterberth by going to a U-shaped galley? That's one way to get a huge cockpit locker, but making it watertight means re-doing the cockpit as well as adding the risk of a wave into the cockpit going right into the bilge just when it's the last thing you want to have happen at 03h25 some morning. Maybe an L-shaped galley with the sink midships, icebox outboard and stove aft of that would work better than a U.
Old 12-31-2006
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Look at Tartans. Tim Jacket is also a master of using nooks and crannies. In particular, look at the Tartan 31 since it's close in size to yours.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 12-31-2006

pigslo is on a distinguished road
Walk, run, or fly to the next big boat show and look at all the new ones with similar specs to yours.
Old 12-31-2006

Luckily I live in New York city but it seems that the boat show here is geared to powerboats mostly. As for the Bene's, yes they squeeze it in, but they also have almost 3 more feet beam for my water line leangth... My beam is more along the lines of a Pacific Seacraft 31. I like that interior minus the open v-berth. I also like the inside of the HR 31 MKII. Will visit the show though. Happy new years all.
Old 12-31-2006

redcorvette1995 is on a distinguished road
If you are in NYC and don't mind the drive or a quick flight to Toronto, the big indoor boat show is on in two weeks time. It is one of the largest in North America and well worth the time. All of the major sailboat manufactures are there: Beneteau, Hunter, Dufour, Hans, Tartan, C&C, Jeneau, etc...

Cheers,

Todd
Old 01-01-2007

svs3 is on a distinguished road
You might want to consider getting yourself a bunch of cardboard and duct tape and trying to fashion some lifesize mockups to see how everything will fit together. Maybe make your mockups of a modular nature so you can move them around alike legos and try a variety layouts with minumal fuss.

I don't know ... just a thought

Sam
Old 01-01-2007

I'm on that train of thought Sam. I do some set building and I've been amassing a stash of used foam core from old props (the stuff is expensive!). Much easier to shape and draw on then card board. It's also more dimensionally stable so I can use it for templates.
Old 01-01-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by svs3
You might want to consider getting yourself a bunch of cardboard and duct tape and trying to fashion some lifesize mockups to see how everything will fit together. Maybe make your mockups of a modular nature so you can move them around alike legos and try a variety layouts with minumal fuss.

I don't know ... just a thought

Sam
I did just that!!

When our boat was being built, we asked the builder to build in 10mm cheap wood a mock up of what the interior should be. We visited him, told him what we wanted, and left. One week later we returned and he had built a whole set of furniture in that wood. We sat, wnet trhu door, lay down, and adjusted all furniture until we were not banging against nothing. He then went for the built in the final wood.

A mock up is an excellent idea. I have some photos of that "cheap wood" phase if you want.