SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Construction of GIULIETTA

12K views 35 replies 23 participants last post by  Giulietta 
#1 · (Edited)
The year is gone, and 2006 marked the year Giulietta was launched. What a year. What better way to remember than to show the various steps of her construction??

Here is my "homage" to all boats built in 2006. Enjoy!

Here is Giulietta's birth!!

The very beginning, laying the gel coat (brushed not sprayed) onto the mould.

Then, after the hull was made in Dyvinicell and Fiber glass/Kevlar/Epoxy sandwich, the main hull beams were made and glassed.
Bellow, Giulietta is inside Giulietta, really!!

The the deck removable wood structure was bulit and covered with dyvnicell stitched to the wood
(the wood was removed after the glass fiber was applied)

The photo bellow shows the Dyvinicell (I 'll call it PVC from now on), already shaped to my desires!!

Once the PVC was as I WANT, I gave orders to fiber glass the whole boat's deck.

After Galssing, the deck was painted and sanded 10 times!!!
till perfection with 2 part epoxy.

The deck was then removed, and layed up side down next to the boat, and time came for me to decide
how I wanted it inside, where I wanted the bulkheads, and what type of furniture we wanted.

The water tanks were protected as they are moulded in the boat's hull, and the water balst tanks connected.

The furniture was first made with cheap wood based on my body's dimensions, the doors and seats were made as per my body, too.
Everything was made for my confort.

The Heads and all interior is PVC also, either glassed or coverer with Cherry wood (I bought in the US by the way!!)

The keel was moulded in FG, then filled with XXXX lbs (its a sectret!!) of lead

The Yanmar and saildrive installed.

The heads painted with 2 part

All furniture finished

Then.... she came out of the mould (that was destroyed by the way!!)

The teak applied.

The gear installed

And finished

Then..... she saw day light!!!! The keel installed rudder is secret!!

And Into the water she went!!!!

The mast installed,

The nice things inside were connected and tested

ET VOILÁ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here she is, GIULIETTA!!!

Wasn't that fast???

Thanks for watching!!

I edited bellow afterwards:

Please note that I didn't build it, I had it built by Delmar Conde Yard, in Aveiro Portugal, a yard with a vast experience and over 60 sailing vessels all hand built.
Delmar is also the Builder of PT INOVAÇÃO, now MIKE DAVIS, 5 times Portuguese Champ. and whose hull mould was used on my boat.

I just designed the deck and interiors, to fit in a racing hull!! That's all I did, and I spent countless days and hours admiring them work, I did varnish a piece once, but that's all I did.

See less See more
#5 ·
G-Excellent series of photos of what is obviously a top-notch project. Impressive level of finish everywhere!

now - if only it was fast...... (Kidding!)

#6 ·
Great pictorial

All I can say is...WOW! What a great set of pictures! This should inspire others to do as you have. For many years I dreamed of building my own sailboat, and I spent countless hours studying. After much soul searching, I decided it was simply too much for me to tackle. The last thing I wanted to do was to have a project of mine join the legions of unfinished boats rotting away on weed-filled back lots. Sometimes I still permit myself a few idle moments of dreaming. Your set of photos takes me there yet again.
I now have a production sailboat and enjoy it, but would still love to have something built with my own hands. Cheers! I'll look forward to reading more about your boat.
Q

#11 ·
deckhanddave said:
beauty of a boat! About your teak decks though, they look like they are laid in one piece and then routered to make them planks? I've never seen this method before, could anyone fill me in.
Absolutely not, plank by plank, cold bend, glued and bolted. Each one of them. 1 month worth of work just for the deck!

#15 ·
A beauty to be sure. God bless her and all who sail in her.

I am only surprised that her master has any hair left after all of the decisions to be made during construction!

Thankyou for sharing the wonderful photographs. That was thoughtful of you.

#17 · (Edited)
I don't know G- , she's soo bad they had to destroy the moulds after she came out!! I heard they beat the hell out of the mould maker too!:D :D :D

Excellent photo documentation of the birth of a wonderful boat. Now if only she could find someone to sail her. :D

#18 · (Edited)
T, Happy New Year my friend!!:)

Sorry, can't invite you to sail her, a minimum "knowledge" about sailing is required, not just a lot of posts here!!!! :D :D :D

About the mould maker, poor guy, they didn't beat him up!! I did for what he charged me!!!:D

By the way, here is another photo, this time without the genoa, so her lines can be seen.

Must be parent love, but I really like it!! Here we say something that I will try to translate: - He, who loves an ugly woman, sees her beauty!! :)

#19 ·
G- No worries mate, I am truely not worthy. I fear for what you must have done to that mould maker! (Or at least wanted to!!)

I don't think you have to worry about any ugly women in your life.;)
Happy New Year to you and your family.

#20 ·
That's a great set of pictures, and a great looking boat. You've probably mentioned this elsewhere, but what length is she?

One thing though.....there's no such thing as an ugly woman, or boat.....just ones that aren't as attractive as others. <G>

#22 · (Edited)
PBzeer said:
You've probably mentioned this elsewhere, but what length is she?
P,

Giulietta is 42' LWL, 42.3' total hull lenght, (excluding the Anchor because here we don't measure with anchor or ladders), and 14.6' Beam.

The stainless stell anchor roller and its fixing platform are removable, and replaceable with an aluminium piece that has a carbon fiber Assimetrical Spy Pole, and goes in its place.

Under certain handicap rules this pole is measured. The reason why its removable is so I can go crusing with both Giuliettas, and can also race without all that useless weight in front. Looks ugly with it. I removed it this week, because we are getting near the start of our racing season, this year ORC rules.

English corrections by Cam!!Thanks

#25 ·
Cruisingdad said:
Nice Giu,

Now, if you will just paint, "Catalina" on the side of it, it will really appreciate!

HAHA!

- CD

PS Hope you had a nice holiday.
CD can't do that!!! Sorry...

Giulietta is so fast that those letters would keep falling off!!!:D :D

We had a wonderfull holiday, sailed almost everyday. The weather has been OK.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.