Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
Somebody wanted a sail more than I did

We went to the boat yesterday for a spirited outing.(temp 40, winds 20-25kts).

I went to hank on the 100 jib and its nowhere to be found.

Last week, the Cuban went to the boat to tidy her up for me(us) and told me she had a devil of a time putting a sail back in the bag. Hmm, not much cause for concern, I thought it was because she's new at this so I was very pleased and grateful for her efforts. (3 broken nails, much huffing and puffing.) I didn't remember leaving a sail out in the cabin, but I have been known to do that in the past.

Anyway, after not finding the sail, I found where The Cuban had put a 120 sail in the 100 bag. No wonder she had a hard time with it.

So, some slimeball took out both the 100 and 120, left with the 100 sail and the 120 bag, left the others strewn about the cabin. They would have had to come in by boat, the dock is secure.

I just don't understand some people. They are ALL 30 YEAR OLD hand hanked dacron sails. What the hell are they going to do with it? Tarp? New convertible top for a Fiat?

The left me my 165 ( I think, I have to check, the bag looks much less "full" than I remember and its too darn cold to want to yank it out of the bag) and the 120.

Oh well, such is life.

We had a wonderful time, spray in the face, 5.8 kts, 25-30 degree heel, colder than hell, the Cuban and her 13 year old daughter had a great time, (she even took the tiller for the first time! )my smile was frozen to my face. Beautiful sunset, evening spent with great friends and family.
Its the little things.

I'm not mad about it, just... puzzled.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-01-2007

wildcard is an unknown quantity at this point
How strange???? Someone recently broke into my boat and drank all the beer. The wife has another theroy on that one...Hope your AWOL sail turns up, somehow.
Old 01-01-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
If I see a new white awning on a trailer, or a white tarp covering a '69 malibu up on blocks in a back yard, all hell is going to cut loose!

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 01-01-2007

stlcat22 is on a distinguished road
Heh, I had to read this about 3 times before figuring out the Cuban wasnt some fancy sail.
Old 01-01-2007
purveyor of mischief

sanctuarysam will become famous soon enough
reading this raises my blood pressure

sheesh, i can't imagine what it does for yours.
for the record, the cuban is a fancy one...
absent knowing anything about your sails, i am amazed anyone would want old sails. geez,30 years old, i have to believe they are a little soft...
i believe the karma sailing gods will get these people (okay..i HOPE they will).
anyway..hey paul, glad you managed to get out for a pre-surgery sail
sam
Old 01-01-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
CP,

I know exactly how you would feel.

Now taking the 100 with the 120's bag. Sounds something "French" to me.

Are there any French vessels near you??

I sincerely hope that who took your sail, has a one week long diahrrea, and run out of water and toilet paper!!
Old 01-01-2007

JouvertSpirit is on a distinguished road
Thieves. I've been lucky. I do worry about my boat's contents. She is going into dry dock this month for a repower and I'm thinking that I'm going to remove some items like the Garmin chart plotter and hand-held VHF, etc. The chart plotter was about a grand in cost, but I doubt it would turn much interest in a fencing pawn shop though.

I wish someone would steal my old diesel engine and not damage the boat too much doing it. I'm going to have the old Farymann finally replaced with a new Yanmar on my Pearson 10M. Still don't know if I'm going with a three cylinder or two.
Old 01-01-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Not too sure about the dock being secure as about half of such thefts tend to be "inside" jobs; keys and combos get copied and passed along and the recepients know the habits of property owners. Maybe?
I would suspect that the sail was not the most valuable item on your boat. Why would nothing else be taken?

One of my co-workers recently observed a group of youths walk across the street and into his neighbor's back yard. When they re-emerged from the yard they were no longer wearing their shirts. As he lives in a less than savory neighborhood, he called the cops. The miscreants were apprehended trying to sell a goodly amount of his neighbor's electronic goods. I'm wondering if a cover or wrapping was needed for a pilfered outboard or similar item.

Glad you are doing well with it-it usually takes me much longer than I'd like to get over the rage and sense of violation. Life is too short to rail against the injustice of it all, a lesson that I suspect you exemplify much better than I.

Good luck with the upcoming medical procedures-you're in our prayers.
Old 01-02-2007

wlcoxe is on a distinguished road
What kind of vessel are we talking about here? And where are you? I have three sails for an ODay 28 (100%, 130% and main, all serviceable but vintage 1979 and a roller furling 130% jib and a main, vintage 1989 from an ODay 40.
Bill
Old 01-02-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Look to the positive side? Now you can actually have true justification to the other half as to why you HAVE to buy a new sail?
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.