Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Jones...Maybe we could use the illegal alien boats to transport the illegal alien people!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-04-2007

jones2r is on a distinguished road
Cam,

Seriously, it was a serious question, as much as I would like for a solution to the ___ problem be found.

Seriously! If a foreign-flagged boat is in U.S. waters when its permit expires, is it required to leave immediately, or is it that when it does leave and stays away beyond 15 days past the expiration that it must reapply for the permit? To put this in perspective, if I am operating a foreign-flagged boat under permit, what are the requirements imposed on me? Must I remove the boat at a given point? If I leave the U.S. four weeks before expiration, must I stay gone for six weeks before reentering? If I leave at permit expiration, can I return a week later without reapplying?

I see gray areas in the stated policy. Does anyone have any specific insights? Call the CG? Customs?

Last edited by jones2r; 01-04-2007 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-04-2007

shabbychic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpogany
I Am A Canadian from Montreal with a Vermont registered Pearson 26. When we sailed to the Bahamas (Bimini) 4 years ago, They wanted to refuse us for two reasons: 1 the boat was not Federally documented and 2 the citizenship of the owner captain and the registration where not the same.
It took a lot of negociations ........$ to finally be granted entry to the Bahamas for a rduced number of months (3 months agains the usual 12 months). We now have imported the boat to Canada and documented it Here.
If the boat is more than 10 years old, the cost for importing is minimal.

A boat to have access to international ports has to have a (Blue Book) and a registered Name and not a provincial registration Number.
Hi, thanks for that info!! What do you mean when you say "if the boat is over 10 years the cost is minimal?? Our boat is twenty five years but it was built in Hong Kong and supposedly the duty is around 40%??
Old 01-04-2007

shabbychic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawndreamer
We have owned Canadian Registered boats in both France and Washington that were not duty or tax paid. You do not have to pay duty or taxes, as long as you keep the vessel outside of Canada. However, on your first entry into Canada, any duties and taxes are payable within 48 hours of landing.
Hi Dawndreamer - thanks for the reply. I understand what you are saying and I agree. But my main question was "We want to leave it where and how it is. (registered in Rhode Island) BUT we are hearing that foreign countries are not denying entry to US "state registered" boats. We are trying to verify if this is indeed true and in that case will have to something different! Thanks so much. Faith
Old 01-04-2007

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
Shabbychic. It's true, especially in the French Islands, like Martinique and Gaudaloupe.
Old 01-04-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Jones...sorry...thought you were joking around. I don't have the answer to your question.

Shabbychic...you need a COUNTRY document for your boat. Other countries will not accept US state registration for entry. You may squeak by in the Bahamas since they get so much FL weekend boat traffic, but elsewhere your state registration will not be accepted.
Old 01-04-2007
moderate?

Jones...found this on the CBP Q&A section...answers your question about the timing but still fails to give any info on penalties:

A new license will not be issued unless the following two conditions have been met: (1) at least 15 days have elapsed since the previous license either expired or was surrendered, and (2) the vessel arrives in the U.S. from a foreign port or place. (Customs Directive 3130-006A) CBP will want to see foreign clearance paperwork as evidence that you are arriving from a foreign location.

Non-residents are cautioned to plan carefully so that the mandatory 15-day period does not fall in the middle of a planned stay in U.S. waters. It may make sense to surrender your
cruising license to a Customs inspector when you leave U.S. waters and then obtain a new one when you re-enter the U.S. Traveling outside of U.S. waters while your cruising license is still in effect does NOT fulfill the 15-day requirement.
Old 01-04-2007

dawndreamer is on a distinguished road
shabbychic,

I would think that the easiest way would be to have her entered into Canadian Ship Registry and leave her in a state like Washington that allows permanent residency of Canadian registered vessels upon payment of a one-time small fee. However, I don't know if any other states use such a system.
Old 01-04-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Shabbychick, the only *safe* way to ask about what a customs tariff or import fee is? Is to ask the folks who will be stopping you at the border and asking for money. Especially since a new year has just started and tariff rates often change on the new year. Charges often vary according to age and point of origin, and sometimes how long you have owned the boat as well.

Jones2r-
Same advice, really. Whether a US state registration will be accepted is the choice of each nation you visit. I'd suggest going someplace like Noonsite.com and seeing if there are any comments for the places you are interested in going to, and then contact each of them to be sure. Again...the information you see posted will be obsolete in some cases, this is a new year.
Establishing a residency also is not always possible. For instance, try to establish a residency in Bermuda. Last time I heard, unless you marry a native, you can sojourn in Bermuda for a maximum of two years (if you have a vital job, etc.) and then you're out, period. This liberal nonsense about anyone, anywhere, anytime...just isn't allowed in most of the world. Papers, requirements, employment or income source...Canada is about the only place where anyone can enter if they claim to be a refugee (still can't get residency if you're not a refugee and you don't pass the entrance exam) and the US is about the only place left where anyone can enter if they do it at night.

Boats which are in US waters without the proper papers *might* be subject to arrest and seizure, not just expulsion. Remember that maritime law has a fine tradition of arresting the vessel itself. You might want to check with the USCG. Or, just sneak back into international waters one dark night and reset the clock.
Old 01-04-2007

jones2r is on a distinguished road
Cam -- Thanks for the research. It's getting closer to black & white.

HelloSailor -- Thanks for the input. Without going into detail, there are some places whose main residency requirement is, "Bring Money." I didn't know if questions might arise re: US citizen operating foreign-flagged boat in US waters.

Last edited by jones2r; 01-04-2007 at 01:06 PM.