SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Videos aboard

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  DonScribner 
#1 ·
Though not strictly sailing related, perhaps of interest to other sailors?
Does anybody know how to copy DVD's to a hard drive. The time involved at 1:1 is prohibitive. Has anybody found a program/unit that can copy DVD's to a hard drive a good deal faster than 1:1?
Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
I'm just beyond computer idiot level, but I would think this could be done in your control/computer window by copying files from drive:e to drive:c, etc....?

..create new file Mary Poppins, etc in C drive..then drag dvd drive files to it...

...another thought: If you plan to build a video library, you may want to look at a dedicated external hard drive.
A friend of mine did that and she went into the terabyte storage level.

#3 · (Edited)
Hi Capta,

The action of copying a DVD or streamed movie is called 'ripping'... [You are asking how to 'rip' DVD movies you own to your computer hard drive...]

Depending upon what computer platform you are wanting to copy to [e.g., Mac. Windows, Linux, etc.] there are programs available to perform that function.

Here is a representative article about using a couple of the free software programs. [We use VLC and/or Handbrake on our Macs depending upon our mood at the time...]

Happy ripping!

Cheers! Bill

Reactions: Minnesail and capta
#4 ·
The speed of ripping is going to depend on A, the performance of the optical drive, and B, the performance of your CPU and the speed of the hard drive it writes to. Anything ripped from a DVD will need to be encoded onto your drive as some sort of formatted file, typically an ISO (which is just an image of the disc), which can then be converted to .mp4 or whatever. The speed of this is determined by the performance of your computer. If you've got an old laptop (old enough to still have a DVD drive, in any case) it'll probably take a while. If you have a high performance desktop, it might only be a few minutes. Files don't need to be huge. Native DVD isn't high def.

Reactions: capta
#7 ·
Capta,

Not sure what kind of subversive chicanery your into, but many movies that you currently own can probably be "stored" in the cloud. This means they can be accessed remotely anyplace you have WIFI. You need to have an account. If you're looking to have a movie or two with you, DVDs really don't take much room and are not affected by salt air; certainly less than a laptop anyway. Or . . . rent them! We go to the Play Store (I think) and rent a couple before we go on a cruise. The file is downloaded to the tablet which takes about 10 minutes. From that point we have 30 days to watch it. Once you do watch it, you have 36 hours before it evaporates. We do this because nestled up in a rocky cove, 3 mile off the coast . . . there ain't no WIFI!

Don

Attachments

#8 ·
subversive chicanery? I just want to access my movie collection via a tiny little hard drive versus a dozen full dvd binders that have to be well stowed as we sail a lot.
I suppose you carry a couple of crates of records down to the boat so you can listen to music? lol Nope, I'm sure you have an Ipod, etc. Same, same.
No subversive chicanery. lol
And no reliable internet. That's the whole point. When I have internet, Netflix does the job, but w/o internet then the hard drive makes finding and playing movies so much easier.
Anyway, clouds bring rain and that means closing the hatches, so please no cloud around here.

Reactions: CVAT
#9 ·
Handbrake hands down. https://handbrake.fr/

While we were waiting to take off last spring I ripped (which for the nerds out there is derived from the acronym RIP: raster image processor) all my dvds, movies and tv shows while I played Civ V. It takes 10-15 minutes (depending on processor power etc.) for a full dvd and if you are doing a tv series you can queue them up. Pop out the dvd, pop in a new one, queue it up and back to wasting time on computer games.

It may take a few tries and some googling to get the settings right, but then its pretty straightforward.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.