SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Sailing to Haiti

5K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  RobGallagher 
#1 ·
I want to take my Filipina Girlfriend on my sailboat and Haiti is one of the few places she can fly to with Philippines passport. There is several Central and South America countries she can go too, including the Turks and Caicos Islands. Haiti doesn't require a visa for Filipinos and it is the cheapest place to fly to that I have found so far. Does anyone have sailing experience for Haiti? What should I know and watch for. I plan this for June or July 2017.:Luxury:

#4 ·
I've been to Haiti professionally before the recent spate of hurricanes, earthquakes and epidemics and didn't find it a particularly pleasant place to visit then.
I can't imagine what it would be like these days, but I should think any of the other places you mentioned would be preferable, and safer.

#6 · (Edited)
The airport is in PoP and from what I've read, that is the worst place in the country by far.
Where are you now? T&C can be a really tough trip from Haiti, especially in winter.
My suggestion would be to meet her in a country that has embassies or consulates for every country you two wish to visit together in the Caribbean, and get all the necessary visas there. Then you can travel freely throughout the region with the proper documentation in hand.

#7 ·
Look for the flights and visa info before you go too far into planning. There are different laws regarding visa on arrival, length of visa, renewing the visa via travel overland, water or air.

Also, she may be able to fly to Haiti, but can she buy a ticket? Then will they honor it? ...that might sound funny but odd things happen. Airlines will strictly follow the visa laws of the destination county and may deny boarding without proof of return flights within the time restraints of visa on arrival in Haiti.

They may deny boarding or buying a ticket if you are changing planes in the USA or another country that does not have visa on arrival for passengers from the country of origin.

A couple of examples:

I was once denied boarding at JFK flying to the PI via HKG because I was flying to a third country on another airline at a later date. I got it straightened out, but it was ugly.

A Thai national friend attempted to meet me in Cabo for a wedding. Mexico has visa on arrival for Thai passport holders but could not change planes in the USA as a Thai passport holder with no US visa options. Try getting a flight to mexico without traveling through a non-visa on arrival country.. They just might not sell you a ticket.

I was held up in Newcastle GB once because my itinerary was JFK, London, China, HKG, several Asian countries, BKK, London, then departing Newcastle to Newark... I barely made my flight and if I didn't speak English I am sure I never would have made it. A strange itinerary can throw up red flags and they don't care if you don't make a flight.

#8 ·
I am in the Philippines right now but I am flying back to Florida in a month. I found flights to Turks and Caicos island that is fine. The Turks and Caicos island don't require visas for Filipinos. She will be flying through JFK. She can't get visa for US but she is just changing planes in JFK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#22 ·
I am in the Philippines right now but I am flying back to Florida in a month. I found flights to Turks and Caicos island that is fine. The Turks and Caicos island don't require visas for Filipinos. She will be flying through JFK. She can't get visa for US but she is just changing planes in JFK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Good luck just "changing planes" at JFK Ain't gonna happen without a visa.

#12 ·
..... I plan this for June or July 2017.
It just occurred to me that you plan to go sailing in hurricane alley at the beginning of hurricane season. Once your girlfriend arrives, are you planning to sail somewhere? In theory, you can sail south to get below most threats (not all), but the need for a visa for your girlfriend, may make that limiting. Personally, I'm not a big fan of being stuck in hurricane alley beyond Jul 1. Some are more bold.

#15 ·
Yes, I know. I will plan some hurricane holes before I go.
As Capta said, that's not a very safe Plan A for your boat, let alone it's crew. You should first plan to not be in the way. For most, that just means getting south, but the visa limitations of your girlfriend may make that more of a challenge.

It's not clear how long you expect to be cruising in hurricane alley. If you start in June, is this a two week thing or two months or two years? At the very least, I would secure a visa for your girlfriend (as necessary) to be able to sail out of the alley.

#14 ·
Sailing to the T&C from Fla via Haiti is about the toughest way to get to the T&C there is. Not a very practical route for an inexperienced sailor.
There are no real hurricane holes left in the Caribbean. Every safe(ish) seeming hole, will not be so. After you've set yourself up, got all your anchors out and are sitting back marveling at your handiwork, all the local work boats, cargo boats and tour boats will come flooding in, haphazardly throwing our insufficient anchor tackle, then their crews will go ashore to be with their families leaving you to deal with their boats dragging down on you from every angle, once the storm hits. You need a better plan than that.

#16 ·
I haven't commented on this thread because I haven't been to Haiti.

Nor would I.

When people start gun threads I think that Haiti is about the only place close to the USA I'd actually want one. Or several.

It's a lawless hell hole of poverty, crime and desperation. Any boat is a ticket off Haiti. Any boater a chance for money.

Yes, the Western world hasn't helped but nor has nature. Every hurricane wollops, plus earthquakes, mud slides, disease, drugs.... And more.

One cruising couple last year (?) Was robbed at gunpoint point by the Haitian coast guard and, stricken, went to the DR where their coast guard robbed them again.

And you want to go there because your GF doesn't want to apply for a visa to visit civilized countries? Or has she been refused?

Do some admin work and do the visa applications.

Has anyone been to Haiti? What's your thoughts?
CaptA have you been there?

#17 ·
I've been to Haiti, but not in a cruising capacity. I did rescue and recovery work right after the earthquake.

It's a non-tourist oriented 3rd world country. Not the safest place in the world, but I wouldn't discourage someone from going simply because of that.
I wouldn't encourage them either.

That being said, The people I met there were incredible. The country is beautiful. Cap Haitian on the Northern side in particular has some great beaches and anchorages.

I realize the convo has moved on from Haiti, just wanted to offer an alternative view to a "lawless hell hole of poverty, crime and desperation."

#19 ·
I've always thought the voodoo stuff would be interesting to see and experience in the hills.
But it would also be nice to come back whole.
Did Haiti finally pay off France?
Lot's of interesting history...
Yeah it's in turmoil.
IIRC, it's been the most impoverished country in the western hemisphere since before I was born.

#21 ·
I still wonder if you are putting the cart before the horse. If the US will not grant her a tourist visa, she will very likely need a transit visa unless you can fly her in from the EU.

Apply for a U.S. Visa | Transit/Ship Crew Visas - Philippines (English)
"Transit (C visa)
A citizen of a foreign country traveling in immediate and continuous transit through the United States enroute to a foreign destination requires a valid transit visa. Exceptions to this requirement include those travelers eligible to transit the U.S. without a visa under the Visa Waiver Program or travelers who are nationals of a country which has an agreement with the U.S. allowing their citizens to travel to the U.S. without visas."

The backup for getting denied a US transit visa is to apply for a tourist visa...do that math...

Be sure to let us know how you make out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.