SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Save "Keep Turning Left!"

7K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  Ajax_MD 
#1 ·
Dear Mods,

If this post violates a rule, or if I've placed it in the wrong area, please delete or relocate as appropriate. My apologies in advance.

Some of us here enjoy the video sailing series "Keep Turning Left." If you haven't heard of it, it's a travelogue or infotainment series entirely produced by Dylan Winter. Dylan is a professional freelance who produces the series entirely on his own nickel and a few modest Paypal contributions. He really only makes brief mention of donations in most of his videos and does not harp on it.

Dylan keeps making left turns along the UK coastline in his Westerly Centaur, bringing us incredible views of sailing in the coastal regions, combined with history, introducing the viewers to the locals and their cultures. He has a storyteller's wit and flair and is very entertaining.

The series is low on funds and may end forever before Dylan completes his journey (and video series). There are countless video series of beautiful, tanned couples cruising the tropics but only one crazy old bloke showing us the wild beauty of the Outer Hebrides and the people who live there. Once the series disappears, it'll probably never come back.

Trust me, this is not funding some guy's lavish retirement cruise. Dylan works very hard and lives very modestly. If you've enjoyed his work for free in the past, please consider a small donation now.

https://www.gofundme.com/save-keep-turning-left

Thank you.

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't have the time these days to follow him as I once did, but the series is excellent indeed.

Great idea, Ajax.. made this a 'sticky'.

Reactions: olson34
#4 · (Edited)
As much as I like the idea of helping to fund KTL, why are we donating to someone other than Dylan Winter directly? He'll get the money sooner.

There is a donations link at his home page here; Keep Turning Left

I just made a donation - very good indeed!

#5 ·
As much as I like the idea of helping to fund KTL, why are we donating to someone other than Dylan Winter directly? He'll get the money sooner.

There is a donations link at his home page here; Keep Turning Left

I just made a donation - very good indeed!
Because he was too proud to ask for himself. He expressed doubts that a funding campaign would work, but I took it upon myself to set it up once he started alluding to KTL being permanently canceled. I'm perfectly fine with people bypassing the Gofundme page and donating to him directly.

My only grumble, is that I can't track your donations that way. All contributions on the Gofundme site will go straight to Dylan.

#8 · (Edited)
Excellent. I'm watching his season 1 play list right now (I think). I find these European small boat sailors very inspirational. They can do so much wiith simple boats with simple systems and have great fun doing it.

I find some of the rich tanned YUPy channels boarder line offensive. Too much excess, too much money, too much boat, too much bragging, just too much.

Good job drawing this channel to our attention :)

#10 ·
Dylan's work is the best!!! Been following him 'round Britain and supporting when I can for years...on You Tube, on DVD, on Vimeo. In my view, his videos are more pleasing to watch and more valuable than anything offered on television (cable or on-air), NETFLIX, Hulu, or at the cinema.

If you haven't seen his work, I encourage you to go have a look. If you regularly visit Sailnet or Cruisers' Forum or other sailing websites, I reckon you should like his work. And if you watch and do like it, please consider tapping his tip jar and help him continue his incremental trip (which he has been on for nine years now).

I'm headed over to his site to tap again.

I'm posting on this thread because I want to keep it active and fresh and in front of the assembled crowd here on SN. Thanks for starting the thread.

#12 ·
You can send direct with a paypal acct.

Whatever helps him out works for me..

Reactions: seabeau
#14 · (Edited)
Thanks for being a booster for Dylan Winter Ajax. I'm glad to hear that you like his website too. He does have some amazing pictures and videos of the UK coasts plus his writing is often quite fun to read; in fact he can be a hoot!
While I have enjoyed a few forays at KTL I have never paid the piper, until now. He is very modest and rarely shills for himself at all. In fact his own "mob funding" page has very tiny increments to choose from that went from $1 to $10, which is barely enough to buy a gallon or two of petrol over there. I hope my $50 that I sent via Paypal to dylanwinter2@virging.net will enable him to buy a few more cans of food that he can heat up directly on his stove before even opening them, as he seems to like to do.

Please contribute « Keep Turning Left

His videos of starlings in flight were quite extraordinary IIRC.
http://www.keepturningleft.co.uk/sailing-around-britain/starlings-dance-to-aliastair-fraser/
Lets keep the old boy afloat!

#18 ·
Calm down, everyone. Please.
I just sent him some $ using PayPay. Their fee was 88 cents.
Just remember that apt saying from so many decades ago: "There IS no such thing as a free lunch."

KTL is indeed an endeavor worth some support, strictly imho.

#21 ·
IMPORTANT

If any of you sent a donation via PayPal to: dylanwinter2@virgin.net you will be glad to know that this is the WRONG ADDRESS.
You will need to go back into PayPal and find this transaction; it should still be in "pending" status. Cancel this transaction.

Having cancelled this transaction and if you are still eager and willing to help dylan out in some small way you will need to issue a new transaction (sending money to friends internationally - select "United Kingdom" as the country) and use the CORRECT email address which is: dylanwinter2@gmail.com

I hope that dylan will correct the email address that appears on his donations page.

If your transaction goes through you should expect to receive a thank you email from dylan.

I only found out about this by following a similar thread on SailingAnarchy where the old codger admitted to fekking this one up.
His videos are really worth some small contribution.

#24 ·
I sent a donation to that address back in December and finally got a note from Paypal that they couldn't deliver and had issued a credit. I emailed Dylan but it looks like it's still wrong. (Never got a replay from him so maybe I emailed a bad address too!) In any case I hope that the address gets corrected soon, it may be the source of a lot of "lost" taps.

#22 ·
Thanks, Caleb.. exactly right, prior transaction was 'not yet accepted'.

Fixed it.. (and doubled it..)

Reactions: olson34
#26 ·
Good news:

Once people corrected the PayPal email address, money has been rushing in. Between the two accounts, it seems that we have raised approximately 20% of the total goal of 5,000 GBP in less than a week. Thanks to everyone who has donated. Spread the word and keep the donations coming.

Rich A.

#28 ·
Only temporarily. Dylan purchases boats that are most appropriate for the regions he's sailing in. If you follow the entire series, you can see that he has used a few different vessels.

Lilly M, although a fine boat, is too cold and open for Dylan's current needs. There's a small sailboat with a pilot house that he'll be upgrading to, which will give him the necessary shelter and warmth to continue documenting the Outer Hebrides. While he's changing up boats and bringing his balance sheet back into order, he'll be editing and posting approximately 12 films.

Aside from our contributions, those 12 films need to accrue a sufficient number of Paypal contributions in order for the series to continue forwards. I hope this helps.

#29 ·
Good news:

It appears that the totals collected so far tally up to approximately 2,040 GBP. That means we're about 42% of the way towards the 5,000 GBP goal.
You've done this in ONE WEEK, which indicates that Dylan's films are popular and matter to the sailing community. Thanks very much for your incredible efforts!

#30 ·
Hello everyone,

Here is the status of the Keep Turning Left fundraising campaign:
The GoFundMe campaign is suspended and all monies are being refunded to the contributors.

Why: My goal was to fund one year of overhead so that Dylan Winter could keep sailing and making his marvelous movies for us to enjoy.
What: I did not properly coordinate with Dylan, and he decided on a different plan that requires a different boat for sailing in the higher latitudes.

I did communicate this to the members to clarify the situation and people continued to contribute to Dylan's Paypal account and to the GoFundMe account anyway, to support the venture. When I attempted to transfer the GoFundMe funds to Dylan, he graciously refused.

Dylan is concerned that I wasn't clear enough about the purpose of the funds (purchasing a boat better suited to the area instead of one year's operating expenses) and that people may have contributed due to a misconception of how the funds were to be used. Dylan is scrupulously honest and requests that the money be refunded for that reason.

The GoFundMe campaign is closed, please do not send any additional money there.

Dylan is still accepting donations *if you are entertained by his films*. Please contribute directly to his Paypal account at: Dylanwinter2@gmail.com

Mods: Please close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.