Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2007

pigslo is on a distinguished road
I was going to say 5 to 12 if you can do the install yourself. 12 to 20 turnkey. (thats thousand of course)
pigslo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archis
Other names of diesels that I keep seeing are Westerbeke, Universal and Atomic. Any opinions on these brands?
Atomics are gas engines as far as I know. Universals seem to be the quietest motors around - they are based on the Kubota engines. Westerbeke makes a nice 3 cyl engine that may suit you, but local Canadian prices are close to $20K installed.
Old 01-08-2007

Sialia is on a distinguished road
When I bought my last boat, the yard in which the boat was located (very reputable) and the engine surveyor whom I hired for $250, the selling broker and the previous owner all recommended that I replace the engine. The owner really just went along with the recommendation which was fine with me from a pricing point of view.

After buying the boat, I ordered 12 oil analysis kits and began sampling the oil for the engine and the transmission. The two first tests said that the engine and transmission were in imminent danger of a breakdown. I called the analysis company, they were very helpful; they made it clear that if the oil and transmission fluid had not been changed regularly before the test, the results would be biased. Additionally, multiple samples needed to be analyzed to determine a trend.

Long story short, after 6 oil and transmission fluid changes, initially after only 10 hours of use each, and reporting to the analysis company hours between changes, the test results came back normal and the engine and transmission gave me no trouble that I didn't cause myself...that's another story!

Obviously, the previous owner had not cared for the engine. The engine, however, was in great shape after a little TLC.

If the engine starts well and you do not observe power loss or other outward signs of lost compression, it's probably OK.

Why are you re-powering? If the engine works, keep it. New engines cost a lot, as you have seen.
Old 01-08-2007

Archis is on a distinguished road
Sialia I'm not re-powering, I'm just trying to get some pre-first boat knowledge. From the replacement cost you guys are talking about, a good diesel motor is high priority for my first boat.

Thanks again to everyone you're a great resource
Old 01-08-2007

cockeyedbob is on a distinguished road
Right you are Sialia! Periodic maintenance is the key to long engine life.

G ... prefer a land based engine over a marine version ... a diesel is a diesel, no? Might be easier to get parts, like a head gasket, for a light truck diesel based powerplant than a marine unit if you're stuck in the back of beyond. Of course if you're a city slicker with money to burn ...

I went with the Westerbeke (Isuzu) instead of the Yanmar, and the only difference I can see is the color and 4 grand in my pocket.
Old 01-08-2007

pigslo is on a distinguished road
Perkins, Kubota, or Mitsubishi based blocks will have parts the world over since they are tractor, fork lift and taxi cab engines on land.
pigslo
Old 01-08-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockeyedbob
G ... prefer a land based engine over a marine version ... a diesel is a diesel, no? Might be easier to get parts, like a head gasket, for a light truck diesel based powerplant than a marine unit if you're stuck in the back of beyond. Of course if you're a city slicker with money to burn ....
Sorry but I don't agree with you on this. A diesel is not a diesel. You can't say gas engine is just a gas engine when talking about planes, do you??

I agree that its easier to get parts for land based engines, but you don't have a normal land base diesel on a boat (even Volvo has "marinized" their engine). Some spares might go, but most won't.

I don't know about Westerbeke (Isuzu) engines as we don't have them, but then again I bet you don't have Volkswagen marine and we do. that is why I kept my opinion limited to what I know, Yanmar and Volvo.

We also have NANI, do you have that there??

Now for me, I rather have a marine diesel, designed from scratch for a boat, than a land modified to go on a boat. Where the differences inside are, I have no idea, but I have had my engine all covered with salt water and still no rust. Do that on a regular diesel and see. Besides I have a sail drive, and that changes everything, also. Sorry for not agreeing. Ok?

By the way, what is a city slicker??? I am sure I am not that!! I do not burn money

As for the Yanmar curves, as requested by Jones, Hope they are visible.

From my engine catalog!

Last edited by Giulietta; 01-08-2007 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-08-2007

cockeyedbob is on a distinguished road
G ... a diesel IS a diesel ... all operate on the same principal ... marine verses land is nothing more than 6+ weeks to order plus air freight verses local purchase ...

cockeyed is cheap likes to roll around in his money at night like Scrooge McDuck ...

yeah, got the specs from the dealer ... he had a payment due on his Lexus!
Old 01-08-2007

JouvertSpirit is on a distinguished road
Ask someone who's tried to pull a diesel out of a junked Suburban or truck, marinize it, and install it to run a power boat. Everything looks and runs so good for about a month (except for a disappointing lack of power) then it starts to decline rapidly. IMO going with a marine diesel engine makes sense and is worth the extra investment.
Old 01-08-2007

chuck711 is on a distinguished road
Yanmars have a pretty good warranty, they stand behind their product.
No anodes needed. Good engineering. Parts are available resonable cost.
No glow plugs and a higher mompression ratio. 390-470 PSI

Westerbekes seem to have a higher ( new )engine failure.
Lower compression. 312-389 PSI Glow Plugs.
When you begin working on one, Red Paint Chips Everwhere !!!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.