Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2007

Archis is on a distinguished road
Replacement Diesel Cost?

I've been trying to find out a ballpark price for replacing a diesel engine on a 30 to 36 footer. Googling hasn't come up with much, so I figured I'd ask here.

This is a hypothetical pre-purchase question. I would would want a good brand (Yanmar?) and it would be powering a 30 - 40 foot sailboat.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Yanmar is pretty good. Better than Volvo. I had opportunity to choose from both. Yanmar service in Europe seems better than Volvo, I don't know in the US.

Yanmar was made from scratch a marine engine, Volvo is an adaptation of a land engine, and that is an advantage for Yanmar.

However, 3 months after installation an engine block screw broke. Yanmar replaced same day, and appologised. I posted it on this site and folks here said it overtightned at installation. So far no problems.

Had Volvo's before and didn't work for me.
Old 01-08-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
30 - 40 feet is a wide range that would not be likely to use the same powerplant.

An engine for a typical 30 footer could run $10-15K, with the 40 running $15-20K+ plus whatever costs are associated with adapting the engine to the boat if it's not the same as original. Also it may be necessary to re-prop if the gear ratios differ, which is also likely.
Old 01-08-2007
Sailmanles

longwaterline is on a distinguished road
I replaced my 24hp Universal with a 40hp Yanmar several years ago on my S2 11.0A (36 feet). Total cost including removal of the old engine and installation of a new Yanmar with some modification of the engine bed was $12,000.
Old 01-08-2007

Thanks for the info, that could be a big ouch!

Does anybody have any advice on how to evaluate the diesels on used boats? Will a good surveyor be able to adequately check the engine over?
Old 01-08-2007

sonofasailorsailing is on a distinguished road
Replaced in May 2006

Our Volvo died last year so we replaced it with a new 30hp Yanmar. I shopped around alot and the best price was about $7,500. The installation was another $7,500. This was due to alot of stringer work to be done in order to mount the new engine. The weight savings was about 100 pounds. So far, the engine has performed flawlessly. We just had our 50 hour maintenance done on her. By the way, we have a 33' yawl that displaces 12,000#. he old Volvo was a 37 hp model some 30 years old. I know how hard it was to get parts for it as I had to have the head gaskets replaced in 2004 and they had to come from Sweden for a pretty penny. Good luck.
Old 01-08-2007

cockeyedbob is on a distinguished road
Man, shop around! I priced a 55hp Yanmar last year. I e-mailed a dozen authorized dealers in CA. The quoted price, high to low, varied by $1803 for EXACTLY the same product.
Old 01-08-2007

Bristol324DD is an unknown quantity at this point
Yanmar Group

I belong to the Yanmar group--one of the groups on Yahoo.com. Lots of discussion about engine options and engine prices for new vs rebuilt, installation, trouble-shooting, etc. I've a 3GMF 20 hp Yanmar in my 32' Bristol, and it runs like a champ. Also I've found good advice from other Yanmar owners, so take a look at the postings there!

bill
Old 01-08-2007

Other names of diesels that I keep seeing are Westerbeke, Universal and Atomic. Any opinions on these brands?
Old 01-08-2007

jones2r is on a distinguished road
"Does anybody have any advice on how to evaluate the diesels on used boats? Will a good surveyor be able to adequately check the engine over?"

A diesel mechanic is who you are looking for. He can do a compression test, engine oil analysis, and borescope the cylinders (if he has a borescope). Oil pressure will tell you about the bearings. There should be a maintenance log, and a visual inspection will give a clue to the quality of the maintenance. The engine should be clean and without leaks. Look in the bilge area under the engine.

Others can tell you better than I can, but I believe that Atomic is gasoline, and Universal is a diesel Atomic. I was looking at the Westerbeke website the other day , and I got the impression that Westerbeke distributes the Universal. I like the bore/stroke ratio on the Westerbeke better than the Yanmars; the Westerbeke should have a flatter torque curve. I haven't been able to see the power curves on Yanmar (not on their website), but I did note that they like to exaggerate their horsepower ratings; look at the continuous power rating at 2900 RPM. How they get an additional 10% more horsepower from 100 RPM is a mystery to me. Also note that the displacements for a given configuration (2, 3, or 4 cylinders) are different between the two brands; the strokes are close to being the same, but Yanmar goes to a bigger bore. Yanmar markets to the yachting segment. I have the idea that the government is Westerbeke's major customer, hence the red paint all over everything like an industrial engine.

IIRC, rules of thumb for engine selection are 1 HP per foot of length, and 2 to 2 1/2 HP per ton of displacement.

The only diesel engine I have torn into is a 4-71 GMC, so I can only offer impressions about these engines. Hope it's been some help.

Last edited by jones2r; 01-09-2007 at 12:45 AM.