Sailing near Honolulu, HI - SailNet Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Naomi Coty
  • 2 Post By capta

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-12-2017 Thread Starter
NMC2017

Question Sailing near Honolulu, HI

I'm looking for people around Honolulu who want to sail and need a hand. I love to sail and have been sailing for about 5 year, but sporadically. I will be in town from Mid February to Mid April. What's the best way to get on a boat and actually sail? I am not interested in being sailed around on some huge boat with 100 other people.
Towguy likes this.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-12-2017
Master Mariner

Re: Sailing near Honolulu, HI

It's been some time since I was there, but I'm sure the best thing to do would be to go to the Ala Wai Marina and walk the docks. Offer to help clean up boats after a sail and somebody might take you out the next time they go sailing.
If you plan to do some interisland sailing, think of it like getting in the boxing ring with Mike Tyson; you're most likely gonna get a beating.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 Old 02-13-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
If you plan to do some interisland sailing, think of it like getting in the boxing ring with Mike Tyson; you're most likely gonna get a beating.
I am curious. Would you elaborate please.

post #4 of 5 Old 02-13-2017
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
I am curious. Would you elaborate please.
2000 miles of fetch. Narrow channels with high mountains on each side. Need I say more?
Slayer and Towguy like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

post #5 of 5 Old 02-15-2017

Addd strong winds against the current and you get square waves going east between the Islands. Exhilerating sailing going west but a rough sail the other way. Good thing is the sun is almost always out and it will almost never get below 75 degrees in the daytime.

you might post a crew available for the beer can races on the bulletin board at Hawaii and Waikiki Yacht club in the Ala Wai.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.