Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2007

dm567 is an unknown quantity at this point
Increasing Sail Area

I have a motorsailer with more than adequate ballast. It has 10,600 lbs of ballast with a total displacement of 26,000. Yes a heavyweight. It is a ketch rigged Fisher 34. It has a capsize ration of 1.52 and a comfort ratio of 50, both good ratios. However, the SA/D is merely 11.5.

There must be some way to increase the Sailing Area. What are the choices?

DM
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Can you:

1) Buy a spinnaker?

2) 155 Genny?

3) Get your sails cut deeper?

Of course, all of these will have a trade-off, money being one of the big ones. I would not suggest a taller rig. We did that with our 380 and the boat was tender. I bet some racers could help you out (which I am not, incidentally).

I have been on several motorsailers and the old saying that they don't sail well and don't motor well was not far off. However, it sure is a HECK of a lot more comfortable than my boat down below and the engine room is awesome. Great liveaboard and my guess is that you will see more and more manufacturers building motosailers to keep more of the older generation. How do they make them sail well? Hmm. You don't. Go buy a sailing dink for a tender. Everything has a trade off. But the next time you get frustrated at how slow your boat is unless it is blowing 30, look down below at all the room you have. Drop your anchor. Enjoy a cocktail. The other 34's around you might have started happy hour before you got there, but you sure will enjoy it a lot more.

Don't know if the first three suggestions help? Probably not what you were looking for. I think, in my humble opinion, a fat heavy boat is a fat heavy boat and there is noooo way to make it perform otherwise. You can do some things to help... but in the end, all you did was make your boat more tender and spend a bunch of money for a half of a knot.
Old 01-09-2007

I don't expect the Fisher to be a raceboat which is good because it never will be. However, having acknowledged that, there may be interesting ways to help it perform better even if the increase in performance is marginal.

The changes I have thought of:

1. Increasing the height of both masts(Cruisingdad doesn't recommend this option but this boat has plenty of lead)

2. Adding a Hoyt self tacking boom and making the jib self tacking and then adding an additional furler for a cruising spinniker in front of the stay, the furthr forward the better.

I like the idea of the self tacking jib when motorsailing and when the wind is right using the spinniker.

Any thoughts?

DM
Old 01-09-2007

pigslo is on a distinguished road
Add roach in the main.
Old 01-09-2007

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
I think the sail area is measured for the jib from the foretriangle ie standard sails. Once you get up to 20 knots you already have as much sail as she would handle. Below 10 it will handle substantially more. A big overlapping genoa is one answer and might give say 25% improvement in speed. Downwind and on a broad reach there is room for much greater sail area say a gennaker or cruising spinnaker. Quite what and how you set it up depends on how much you want ease of use. At say 10 knots you will still be underpowered but not as grossly so and you should get a respectable gain in speed say from 3 to 4, and maybe have more fun. Far cheaper than new mast sails and rigging. Fiddling with the sails won't cut it because the standard sail plan is designed for about 15 knots, at 10 knots you have half the wind power and at 5 an eighth as the force is proportional to the wind speed squared. You can't really double the main size but could increase the area at the top with full battens. The main increase has to be in the foresail area. While say a 180% genoa would be some help, you would need an alternative sail for over 10 knots apparent or it would be blown out.
I don't think a furler would work because you want the luff free for a gennaker or cruising spinnaker.

Last edited by chris_gee; 01-09-2007 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-09-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
dm, simply and bluntly... forget it!!

The gain will be almost nothing. Make the boat lighter to reduce the ratio.

Sorry
Old 01-09-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
How about a mizzen staysail to give a boost while reaching??
Old 01-09-2007

What does a mizzen staysail look like?

Dom
Old 01-09-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Like an A sail but flown from the mizzen mast.
Old 01-09-2007

I found a picture of one on a Fisher.

http://www.sailmakers.com/sails-chute.html

I think that a great suggestion.

What about this also

http://www.sailcdi.com/Spinnakerfurler.htm

DM

I'm going to forget about raising the rig completely.