Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
How many Class-B AIS tranceivers?

In thinking about adding a Class B AIS receiver to J-L, I was wondering how big the market will be (so how far might the price go down)? Any ideas or advice?

Richard
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Hi Richard and welcome. The situation may be a bit different in Europe, but over here it is WAY too early for pleasure boaters to jump in on class B I think since so much is still unsettled and the price will be sky high for at least another year or so. There is an excellent continuing discussion of the issues over at the Panbo marine electronics blog and this most recent post there: http://www.panbo.com/yae/archives/001472.html
Old 01-10-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
Thank you! I'll go look at your link. In Europe, the Class B transceivers have been on the market since last November; receivers-only for a couple of years. The current Class-B prices are 800 - 900 euros. About the same as a GPS enabled EPIRB. There seems to be two models available at the moment, sold under various names. In the US there is a very nice "all integrated in the antenna" model waiting for FCC approval. I got tempted by the receivers, but it would be nice to be seen too, so waited.

IMO/IALA etc. are now looking at long-range AIS, picking up those VHF transmissions by satellites and relaying them back to shore. Suitable transceivers will have a SMS capability apparently, so will be able to send more than emergency traffic from mid-ocean Test satellites will be flying soon. Maybe I should wait longer.