SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Masthead sheave--help me find--please!

4K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  CalebD 
#1 ·
Ok everybody, help me find a 60mm x 12mm masthead sheave please. I have searched high & low for hours and cannot find this. I have an O'Day Daysailer and according from Rudy at D&R, a few of these boats were fitted with a racing mast which mine apparently has (added stiffeners running down each side of the mast) The masthead sheave is 2 3/8" x 1/2" or roughly 60mm x 12mm.

I sent Rudy a photo of this and he has never seen this set up before. The one that is in there is pretty chewed up and I really want to replace it. It has a 1/4" bore hole and handles the normal 1/4" halyards for the Daysailer. A nylon or Delrin would be nice--not any type of metal. The one that is in there looks like what we called in the military Bakolite (attached a photo).

Attachments

See less See more
#11 ·
If you don't have access to a lathe, chuck it in a drill press set to the highest speed.

Grind an old screwdriver to a 1/4 inch radius and use it to scrape the groove.

#12 · (Edited)
Ok everybody, help me find a 60mm x 12mm masthead sheave please. I have searched high & low for hours and cannot find this. I have an O'Day Daysailer and according from Rudy at D&R, a few of these boats were fitted with a racing mast which mine apparently has (added stiffeners running down each side of the mast) The masthead sheave is 2 3/8" x 1/2" or roughly 60mm x 12mm.

I sent Rudy a photo of this and he has never seen this set up before. The one that is in there is pretty chewed up and I really want to replace it. It has a 1/4" bore hole and handles the normal 1/4" halyards for the Daysailer. A nylon or Delrin would be nice--not any type of metal. The one that is in there looks like what we called in the military Bakolite (attached a photo).
Take a look at the RF-1765.
https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=56841
Might need to open up the bore some. In any case 1/4 inch is small, maybe go with larger through bolt, better for bearing surface in any case.
Here is full specs:
http://www.ronstan.com/marine/product.asp?ProdNo=RF1765
fwiw I installed some of these that are 4 inch diameter Acetal from Ronstan and so far working great. The bore was slightly too small and I drill it out to fit my sheeve axel.
Note sheeve says max line 3/16, would think 1/4 would be ok, and actually looking at the specs, the rope gets smaller on the larger sheeve, seems there is a mistake, but would think 1/4 inch is ok...

#21 ·
You could use HPDE. It's not all that expensive from Grainger
HDPE Sheet Stock

Not sure about it's life expectancy exposed to UV.

#25 ·
I went with Torlon ball bearing sheaves, they should last quite a few years.

Two of the old sheaves I removed looked and felt like HPDE or some similar plastic and they'd been in there at least 10 years.

The OP was looking for an inexpensive solution...

Reactions: tsell
#26 ·
sheaves drivn mee crazy you guys stay up late thinking ways that only your way is was maybe the right, best or only way?

any way... lil word play on the title Sheave drive me crazy..... OP I'm gonna get you for this! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.