Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
They were returning home, after fishing all night, and needed to pass near an area off the beach that has low water depth, in order to enter the harbour of Nazaré (see here http://marinas.com/view/marina/11576, thanks sailor"!!!).

Most man were sleeping, when a freak wave hit them and threw some of the nets and stuff to sea, which was jammed into propeller.

The boat then became uncontrolled and rolled into beach. Now we know waves at the beach were 15' high, in surf area.

Accident happened at 7am, still dark.

By the way, these were professionals of the sea, not people like us that go to sea for fun, they have to go to feed their families. They go when you and I stay home watching movies. They do fishing school for years. Poor guys didn't even have time to get to their safety gear. Well That is life.

The last acident with fishing people dead, in portugal was 2 years ago.

Accidents with non professionals is very very rare over here.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2007

pigslo is on a distinguished road
I do not support government interference as they tend to screw things up. Somewhere in between anyone with the money and big bureaucracy is a program that will keep the idiots off the water. How many times have I seen a cigarette boat doing 50 knots in the channel and laughing at smallboats that are nearly capsized? How many times have I had to alter my starboard tack to miss an oncoming sailboat that thinks because theirs is bigger I should move? Just the basic rulles of the water and a bit of respect would be nice to be taught.
As for build quality, nothing is ever built for long that the market will not support...nothing!
pigslo
Old 01-11-2007

Goodnewsboy is on a distinguished road
Laws contrived by legitimately elected legislatures are bad enough. Those written by unaccountable bureaucrats are often senseless tyranny.

I've gone afield from the original discussion of build quality, but only to say that more government regulation is unlikely to help very much.

One of our favorite and most useful boats is a 1950's Lyman 15 foot outboard. It was built principally of fir marine plywood on a production line to sell for a low price. (In their peak year, Lyman shipped some 5000 hulls.) It is still as solid as the day it left Lyman Boat Works and is powered by a similarly old Johnson manual start motor that usually runs at first pull. I submit that regulations imposed since its building could not have improved this simple, rugged and shapely vessel.

I also agree with Pigslo that "quality" has to be judged in terms of adequacy in light of the price asked.