Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
And a good one.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2007

wildcard is an unknown quantity at this point
Very well worded doc! As we try to teach in the field, BLS before ALS. Thus my issue with new paramedic students that have 0 seat time in an ambulance, they always want to go for the show boat stuff.

For the record, Im a paramedic of 22 years (counting my 2 years as an EMT) as well as having spent a couple of semesters as a nursing student then changed to pre PA...And yes, I have spent many days caring for trauma and medical pts solo in the remote parts of Alaska.
Old 01-14-2007

JouvertSpirit is on a distinguished road
This has been a very informative thread, thanks to all for some really good advice. I have some plans now on updating my FAK. I do keep an emergency medicine reference manual in my on-board library as well. Raising 5 kids through teens, I've seen my share of accidents and cuts, etc. Fortunately though all those accidents were either home treatable or a call/car trip was available. Special thanks to the actual professionals in the medical field for contributing.
Old 01-14-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
It has been a good thread. I think I've been guilty of focusing a little too much on the offshore sailor. Merchant ships have always carried a full medecine chest compared to the average boat and the advent of satellite communications has been a God-send to us. We can be in touch with an ER physician quicker than you can ashore!
The point I would choose to emphasize for the offshore sailor is that professional help is not around the corner and communication may be spotty. I would recommend a higher level of training than basic EMT or first responder. I know that is not easy to acquire, all the sadder, as it was found in the maritime industry. The union schools had to organize with private professionals to get the curriculum necessary for the maritime industry. Shore-side medical theory centers around getting the patient to a hospital and professionals. Relying on that approach offshore is insufficient.
Old 01-14-2007

wildcard is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't forget those ships can and sometimes will assist.
Old 01-18-2007

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Just noticed that there is a class on the SSCA events calendar related to this topic of first aid at sea, named ... "Hands-on First Aid for Emergencies at Sea" being presented by Dr.Laura_Sudarsky three different times and places this year. The closest to me is March 24-25 in Annapolis, there is a flyer on their website about it.

http://ssca.org/eventind.htm
Old 01-19-2007

mawm is on a distinguished road
Evening guys. I'm new to the board. This is a good thread. I would like to highlight a few things:-
1 Get educated. Whatever you do will help, the more you do the more capable you will be.
2 Prevent injuries by safe practice
3 Know how to use what you carry in your first aid kit. The more you know the more you will be able to carry.

The public, in general, have a poor medical knowledge. This is not necessary especialy with all the courses that are available -basic first aid, CPR, EMT etc. Become an interested person, attend courses, volunteer to help at the local fire sation, read books, and you may save a life.

I hope this helps and does not insult anyone.
Old 01-29-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Just noticed Defender has their 500 on clearance, if anyone is gearing up. This would be ok for coastal, but you will need to add more of the basics (tylenol, trip antibiotic, etc. Still, not a bad kit and the book that comes with it is worth 20 bucks.

http://www.defender.com/product2.jsp?path=-1|619045|619416&id=592630

- CD