Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2007

mstern is on a distinguished road
S/y, S/v?

A question for the learned panel: A lot of the members here use the marks "S/Y" and "S/V". I have read or heard elsewhere that S/Y means "sailing yacht", and that S/V means "sailing vessel", and that there is a difference between the two: an S/Y is a boat used for pleasure, while a S/V is a commercial vessel. Is this your understanding? In the informal real world, it doesn't seem to me to be something to get worked up over, but is there a place or use of the terms where it makes a real difference?

P.S.: I assume the same distinctions apply to the terms M/Y and M/V (motor yacht and motor vessel)?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
In the past things like that meant something but today it’s just a set of abbreviations. HMS, Her (His) Majesties Ship, RMS, Royal Mail Steamer, SS, Steam Ship, POSH etc have all gone by the board today and in a way the loss of custom and tradition is a shame but it’s the way it is so get over it as they say.
All the best,
Robert Gainer
Old 01-12-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
I don't believe there is a clear distinction between s/v and s/y. Both labels are clearly used for vessels which can be powered solely by their sails. I know that the term "yacht" was originally used to describe any light and fast sailing boat - used to convey "important" persons. I assume that is how the word attained a snobbish status. It later became to mean any vessel, sail or power, used for pleasure and racing.

Personally, I would never call an optimist dinghy a sailing yacht, but it certainly is a sailing vessel. Therefore, aside from the commercial use notion, perhaps size would be a distinguishing factor.
Old 01-12-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
TB, OK, so my son Fred's Optimist is not a Yacht???

Now he is pissed off!!! See, he saw many people calling their boats yachts that he wants to call his a Yacht, too.

Now, appologize to fred!!!!

Last edited by Giulietta; 01-12-2007 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-12-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Through Fred's eyes, his Optimist IS a yacht - the size ratio between him and his boat makes the term relevant . . . .
Old 01-12-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Though I don't remember where, it seems I read somewhere that a sailboat over 30' is considered a sailing yacht. Don't know if that's accurate, but it's what I recall.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-12-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Over 30' ??

Sailing Yacht Giulietta.......hummmm nice........now, where did I put my white captain hat and my blue blue dress jacket??? Ha I know, by my white pants and my dock shoes!!

Over here, we are all sail boats (veleiro in Portuguese), from Fred's Optimist to the 79' Pugh Farniente.

A yacht here is a large "smokey".
I think we're more modest....
Old 01-12-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Actually Giu, I think the only time anyone uses the S/V or S/Y is in displaying their boat name. I think everyone here just thinks of them as sailboats as well. I know I do.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 01-12-2007
Señor Member

"Yacht" is a very archaic term from an era when social classes were clearly separated. No one uses it to describe their boat today . . . at least no one I know.
Old 01-12-2007

Well Fred does!!