Why do you love to sail? - SailNet Community
 119Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 60 Old 03-07-2017 Thread Starter

Why do you love to sail?

So the question is why do you love to sail?

I love to sail because I love to feel the wind on my face and I enjoy knowing that I'm not adding to the carbon footprint. I enjoy dinners off the back of the boat as the sun sets. The halyard gently hitting the mast above me. In the morning when I get up I see the mist melt off the lake as the sun comes up while drinking my warm tea. The carp feeding in close to shore and anchoring in shallow waters off a little island in a secluded place.
SanderO, CalebD, TomMaine and 2 others like this.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
Excerpt of Invictus
By William Ernest Henley
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 03-07-2017
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD
Re: Why do you love to sail?

Too many answers. It'd take too long to type it all out. I'll leave this here:

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #3 of 60 Old 03-07-2017

I like to sail dinghies because it is pure fun... working with wind and water to go where you want.
I like to cruise on a sailboat because it gets me into beautiful spots full of wildlife, where I can spend quality time with myself and mother Nature, swim naked and carry on like a 12 year old in general.
SailorMaggie likes this.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato

post #4 of 60 Old 03-07-2017
4KSB driver.

Dock

I hope I am not alone when I answer this honestly...

I really don't know...

I love to sail new water.
I love to go fast with no internal (or external) combustion engine to blame for it.
I love the water.
I love the sound, the feel, the smell, hell even the taste of being on the water, salt water makes it more "real."
That halyard slapping you hear? It's something to be identified and quelled. Perfectly fine as long as its not my boat. But the sound is "home base."
Love to wake up aboard, either at anchor or under sail, to the motion of the boat.
Cannot express enough the whole experience from cruising to racing, to island hopping, to long sails with no destination... Is all great.

I do not sail to "save the earth," or to conserve fossil fuel... It's not an alternative mode of conveyance for me. If that were the case I'd sail over water, and ride my horse on land (and yes I do both). The amount of fuel I burn on both of those hobbies makes the "Save on fossil fuel" argument (at least for me) a ludicrous one (My diesel 3500 dually is plenty of evidence of that at 12mpg).

If I could truly pigeon hole myself into a specific set of sailing that makes it all worthwhile, I probably would have settled on a boat much more quickly (not sure I have even yet). My desire for a fast boat that is also a great cruiser, keeps me always looking for the next boat. My want for bigger water makes me less appreciative of the time I get sailing now on my local puddle.

I sail a lot, and for that I am thankful, because as you see above, there are way more reasons to love it, than I can even identify.
I'll misquote something I read (that I cannot find now)... "Sailing is more than a sport, sport should have it so good."

Not even sure this post does my "hobby/sport/lifestyle" justice.

1983 WD Schock Wavelength 24. Production boat limit tester, blue-water bucket owner, with wine taste on a beer budget.
post #5 of 60 Old 03-07-2017

I like to sail, but what I really love is the lifestyle my boat allows me to live.

To me, my sailboat is simply an entirely desirable way to live and travel. I like to sail, but thatís not what moves me. Itís the ability to live relatively inexpensively and freely, to learn and to explore new areas, and to do so with a small environmental footprint.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
post #6 of 60 Old 03-07-2017
Cruising at a snail pace

I only love to sail when things are "just right" for a nice fast flat sail in the open water toward where I want to go without a bunch of "stuff" to avoid or worry about along the way. In which case I get to go there in peace and quiet.

I didn't get into sailing to sail, I got into it to cruise to places.
SailorMaggie likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 60 Old 03-07-2017

I sail because it's more fun, and much less expensive than when I sped across the waters on powerboats. I can just prop up my feet, lock the steering, trim the sails and enjoy a Green Coconut Margaretta while cruising in a 20 knot wind that would have beat my brains out in any of my previous powerboats.

Bottom's up,

Gary
JoCoSailor and SailorMaggie like this.
post #8 of 60 Old 03-07-2017

What a great thread..... and you write books about this...

I love to be able to get almost anywhere with my magnificent machine... driven by the wind.... guided by my wits... how cool is that!

I love being immersed in nature... feeling small and feel large.

I love the sounds, the silence, the smell of the sea and the land along side

I love to sleep in the boat... moving gently not lying on a firm slab.

I love that I was able to master my boat and I love how she takes care of me as I do her...

I love how I can detach from all the things associated with dirt... work, noise, stupid conversations... cars and traffic... and of roads....

I love that I have been learning to sail for 32 years and feel as if I haven't even scratched the surface.

I love the sailors I meet.... almost everyone a sort of genius and respectful of our world.

I love that I can see the entire sky at day and night.

I love that I can make any place my home... like a turtle I take my home wherever I go.

I love to see how some people feel wonder being on the boat.

and so on.
post #9 of 60 Old 03-07-2017

A bunch of reasons, but here are a few, in no particular order.

1) the sport: you can get your heart rate up short tacking up a narrow channel, you can ride the edge flying down wind, you can crawl up on the fore deck as she pounds into a sea, waves washing over the deck.

2) the excitement/adrenaline; dinghy sailing any one?

3) the enigma, I love navigation, passage planning, research; great way to challenge the mind in an open ended non linear game.

4) Access to wilderness. A sailboat is the ultimate off road vehicle, you can take it to wilderness locations, hike the hills, fish the creeks and then always have a safe comfortable base camp to return to.

5)Social: I have minimal electronics on my boat, for navigation or entertainment, it's a great way to talk, chat, cook, play games and maybe have the odd party with family, friends and strangers alike
SailorMaggie likes this.

Bay Hen 21, Prindle 16, Walker Bay 8
post #10 of 60 Old 03-07-2017

I love to sail because of the way it feels. Sail is very physical, to all my senses.

My love of sail started with the 'feel' of being under sail. If you are sailing with someone who loves sail, you can see it on their face.

I think I passed that love onto my son and daughter. I can see it on their faces when they sail.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.