Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2007

captcalyx is on a distinguished road
Navigating Cape May to the Delaware --Best Route

Mast height too high for Cape May Canal...looking for the shortest route to the Delaware around the southern tip of New Jersey. Draft 6'.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2007

catamount is on a distinguished road
Ummm.... go out the Cape May inlet into the Atlantic, turn right, and then turn right again when you get to the entrance to Delaware Bay?

(or is there something I'm missing about your question?)
Old 01-14-2007

gershel is on a distinguished road
If you are sailing south along the NJ coast, and have to ask this message board for directions into a major body of water, such as Delaware Bay, then I suggest you stop somewhere and learn how to read a nautical chart, and brush up on basic navigation. Ridiculous question.
Marc
Old 01-14-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by catamount
Ummm.... go out the Cape May inlet into the Atlantic, turn right, and then turn right again when you get to the entrance to Delaware Bay?

(or is there something I'm missing about your question?)
I'm really not that inexperienced but what I am trying to ascertain is how close to the coast can I safely navigate with regard to the shoals depicted on the chart.
Old 01-14-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
brayfors.. he's trying to avoid the Cape MAY canal, no the Cape COD canal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-14-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Calyx..are you looking for waypoints or what? Look at this map...basically you take a right out of cape may inlet and go abut 5 miles to the ship channel dotted line...using your chart to make sure you clear the outlying shoals and rough water they cause. Oh yah...keep an eye out for the ships and run along the edge of the ship channel and you'll have plenty of water all the way up the bay. Plan your trip to start up the bay at slack tide just before flood tide and you'll have a lot shorter and easier trip unless the wind is out of the north!
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.195...88892&t=h&om=1
Old 01-14-2007

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Here's the route I follow with a 6.5' draft.

http://gallery.wdsg.com/Maine-Trip-2...ayRoute?full=1

Bill
Old 01-14-2007

RichH will become famous soon enough
On a relatively quiet wind day AND if the local currents are at minimum you CAN go inside those shoals that are close to the SE 'point' of the Cape on a slack HIGH tide. There can be bodaceous currents 'across the point' of the cape. Normally the currents are 'heavy' and 'confused' with lots of 'back-current swirling' (therefore a great place for fishing); so, if you get 'caught' you'll need quite a bit of engine power to assist. Currents here are greatly influenced by 'wind tides'. On an ebbing tide and a SE blow or a rising tide and a NW wind there will be quite a few standing waves close in. This is an area that gets lots of 'sand shift' and has a predominent southerly counter-current along the NJ ocean coast, so if there have been any recent 'northeasters' on the Jersey Coast preceding your passage - that small 'swash channel' close in to the point may be temporarily or partly filled with sand until it clears by normal tide and current action. If you are good at shooting inlets you may want to try it.

If the weather has been quiet and the currents are slack you can usually go through that 'swash channel' thats close in to the point and save a few hours; otherwise, I usually go "out and around". I spent my teenage summers there.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by RichH; 01-14-2007 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-14-2007

Rounding Cape May

Quote:
Originally Posted by gershel
If you are sailing south along the NJ coast, and have to ask this message board for directions into a major body of water, such as Delaware Bay, then I suggest you stop somewhere and learn how to read a nautical chart, and brush up on basic navigation. Ridiculous question.
Marc
Rather than ridiculous, in retrospect, the question was poorly worded. I have rounded the tip several times by laying 5 miles off shore. I'm looking for some local knowledge on the feasibility of a shorter route closer to the shore which I have seen several sailboats take. To put things into perspective, I did pretty well with the charts when I rounded Cape Horn and managed to navigate the archipelagos of Sweden and Finland and other areas of the world. Rather than sarcasm, some constructive input from a local sailor with local knowledge would be appreciated.
Old 01-14-2007

Thanks

Thank you all. This is exactly the local info I was looking for.