Month 6 cruising costs - SailNet Community
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 03-17-2017 Thread Starter
Cruising at a snail pace

Month 6 cruising costs

This past month we traveled from Green Turtle Cay to Glass Window Eleuthera Bahamas. Most of the time we spend at anchor, but we did spend a couple of days at Green Turtle and 6 days at Great Guna Cay in marinas for weather issues (we have spent at least half the time we have been in the Bahamas hiding from fronts).

We dined out some for dinner and some just for lunch/snack stop. Our dining money doesn’t go as far here as in the States

Entertainment expenses were for some Kindle books, and a couple weeks’ worth of Bahamas WiFi that became real nice to be able to watch Netflix while we were anchored in Marsh Harbor during a gale.

March Harbor has about anything you want and the prices are much better than in the out islands, but still not cheap. A case of beer at Green Turtle was $62 and at Great Guna it was $71, but in Marsh Harbor it was $41. So, if you are going to drink beer stock up. Soda was also expense but we got a couple of cases at $17/ea. anyway. And we restocked at Marsh Harbor and the freezer and probably has a month’s food.

I still use my credit card mostly instead of the supply of cash I brought. The Bank charges me 3% for this, which becomes 2% as I get 1% back. I figure ATM fees would probably add up to about the same.

Had an autopilot problem that I traced to the flux compass. Turned out I had a spare on the boat from a couple years ago, when I replaced the computer and didn’t install it. But it turned out it wasn’t the compass, it was the wiring and became a long PITA to replace and most of the months’ boat maintenance expense is a soldering iron for those damn small wires.

We don’t have a water maker so now there are water costs. When I get back this year I will have a better feel whether it makes sense to install a water maker since even with showers I know we can last 3 weeks on our tanks (when it rains here it POURS and it wouldn’t take much work to be able to fill tanks during it).

The total was $2,545.48 as follows:

Food, soda, alcohol, clothing, sundries - $ 1,015.18
Boat upgrades, repairs, maintenance - $ 78.71
Fuel (diesel, gas, propane) - $ 211.43
Dining out - $ 593.95
Entertainment - $ 86.98
Communication, storage, shipping - $ 171.12
Bank Fees - $ 42.87
Marina - $ 291.02
Medical - $ 22.27
Water - $ 31.95
KBuckley and fallard like this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 03-17-2017

Dock
Re: Month 6 cruising costs

$31 per month water. $8,000 for watermaker.
I put a spray bottle next to every faucet, have a solar warter bag on deck with the nozzlel through the head window and the water pump OFF.

You retanking every 3 weeks will go to 6 weeks.
krisscross and travlin-easy like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 03-17-2017 at 09:52 AM.
post #3 of 37 Old 03-17-2017

Dock

The good point is you are under target and still had some marina days and restaurants

Fantastic!

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

post #4 of 37 Old 03-17-2017

I really enjoy and appreciate what you are doing with this, Would it be possible for a bit more of a breakdown in the food alcohol etc catagory?
I'm a firm believer in to each his own and I don't judge for the most part.
I haven't bought a case of beer in close to 30 years, can't stand the stuff, a 26 of Vodka lasts me about 2 months. Any more than a couple drinks in a sitting and I'll have a hang over!
We didn't have soda in the house growing up - never developed a taste for it.
Never seen anything on Netflicks in my life.
How about an alcohol/entertainment AND a food, clothing etc. costing. Don't have to break it down anymore than that, This much to live this much to entertain...
LOL some people I know get paid and immediately go buy 2 cases of beer for the weekend and drink 6 cans of soda a day....
I'm looking at cutting the docklines in a couple years and am following as many of these cost breakdown threads as I can to develop a budget and the lifestyles vary wildly!
Cheers and thanks for you work.
This much I will judge on - if you need alcohol to live you have a problem!

That is a horse head in the box. Not an alien!
The Following User Says Thank You to Tanski For This Useful Post:
Jasoncstyle (03-22-2017)
post #5 of 37 Old 03-17-2017
Land lubber

I don't know anyone who needs alcohol to live, but I know plenty of people who enjoy it on a daily basis.
flyingriki likes this.
post #6 of 37 Old 03-17-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjoub View Post
I don't know anyone who needs alcohol to live, but I know plenty of people who enjoy it on a daily basis.
Pretty stupid comment, guess you've never seen an alcoholic trying to dry out. Ever heard of the DT's?

post #7 of 37 Old 03-17-2017
Land lubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanski View Post
Pretty stupid comment, guess you've never seen an alcoholic trying to dry out. Ever heard of the DT's?
Yes, I have. Guess what? They didn't need alcohol to live either. In fact, those people are far better off without it.
post #8 of 37 Old 03-17-2017

It's what killed one of my grandfathers, he died a remarkable colour of yellow with a failed liver and a horribly distended abdomen. An uncle directly and another uncle was given the choice of chemo or alcohol, he chose alcohol and will be dead by fall from cancer...
Terrible disease and unless people seek professional help it will kill them.
My grandfather needed booze, couldn't do without it and couldn't quit by himself.

post #9 of 37 Old 03-17-2017

The difference between an alcoholic and a drunk is the alcoholic is hooked on booze, while the drunk just enjoys being drunk. I've known and seen lots of both while working in medicine.

Now, my question is are the above figures for a single month or for 6 months?

Gary
Minnewaska and Tanski like this.
post #10 of 37 Old 03-17-2017

Good post. I always like looking at real numbers. BTW, the price for a case of beer is off the chart! What about prices for a bottle of decent rum or some good scotch (e.g Glen anything)? Just curious.

Last edited by Lakepapa; 03-17-2017 at 06:50 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.