CrowdFunding - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 63 Old 2 Days Ago

Re: CrowdFunding

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
....They are "too busy" editing, filming, charging batteries to do any fun stuff........
They are now working, not tripping and living for the adventure.
It is tremendous work to pull it off.
aeventyr60 likes this.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 63 Old 2 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post
Like an individual soliciting crew for his professional boat moving service...sounds familiar
i think advertising for crew is a totally different thing,..its a win/win people get experiance (sailing lessons are expensive)and he can keep his rates reasonable....Ralph

Northern Alberta. "85" C/L 16. ,"85"S2 7.9 under repair.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 63 Old 2 Days Ago

It’s a fine balance to be sure aeventyr60; finding the right place between work and play (or work and living). As a magazine writer I consciously stopped trying to turn my journey’s into stories. Of course that was back when my journey’s were the exception. Now that I’m full timing it (although not full time on the boat yet), I’m wondering about whether I should move into the Youtube video world. I’m still writing for some mags as well, but writing really doesn’t pay anymore. Filming, editing, mixing, posting … it all takes a huge amount of time. And the cost in quality equipment is not small, although a lot smaller than it used to be. We’ll see…

amwbox, that is some beautiful filming, audio and story telling. Really great. Makes me see how much I have to learn. But where are the bikini babes ? Guess you don’t need it with that stunning videography and inspirational narrative (not really my style, but amazingly lovely).

My approach (if I do it) will be more along the line of two greying codgers, moving along as slowly as we can go, exploring places that are interesting, remote, but not too scary … and I can wear a speedo if it helps .

Why go fast, when you can go slow.

post #24 of 63 Old 2 Days Ago

Mike, the magazines never really paid much, and now they pay less. At one time, I was writing for 25 print publications, including the Washington Post, Baltimore Sunpapers and York Dispatch. None of them paid worth a damned, but I made up for it in volume. I also wrote for some of the largest outdoor magazines in the world, and while their pay rate was fairly good, it took a lot more time to put one of their articles together because of the photo requirements.

In my case, during my trip down the ICW, I was crowdfunding by doing what I loved to do - play music and sing. In doing this, I drew some fairly large crowds to the performances, put out a tip pitcher and they filled it every night. So, I guess I was crowdfunding, but in a different way. I played and sang to the crowds and they funded part of my expenses.

So, Mike, when you eventually sail down to Marathon Key Florida and go into the Marathon City Marina, you will see the sign post that I'm playing near. You WILL love it down there.

All the best,

Gary
mbianka, amwbox, Towguy and 1 others like this.
post #25 of 63 Old 2 Days Ago

There is simply no reason for a stranger to just send a stranger money, simply because they asked for it. There needs to be a reason. I see no reason in the OP.

Those making vids on youtube/patreon are arguable working for a living. They spend hours making vids, editing and publishing. They are competing on story lines and quality. No way I want to spend that kind of time, while cruising.

There is a youtube channel done by a couple of kids (2-3 years out of college) that I watched religiously. They got jobs out of school and saved every penny to buy a boat and take a year off to sail to Bermuda. I loved the vicarious feeling of remembering when I was their age. Their video editing was horrible, but it didn't matter. It was the adventure.

Then they got back, after fulfilling their dream, and found Patreon. Next thing I know they are looking for other folks to send them money, so they can buy a bigger boat and do it again. I stopped watching. They weren't nearly good enough to be commercial quality to pay for. It instantly became a couple of 20-somethings that weren't getting down to making their own money and financing their own dreams. They were just hoping those of us that did would pay for their habit too.
titustiger27, jwing and Arcb like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #26 of 63 Old 2 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post
Like an individual soliciting crew for his professional boat moving service...sounds familiar
I think that is a very cheap shot. First of all there are a lot of people out there who are desperately trying to get offshore experience. There are people who will pay to make passages just to get experience.

And if you have ever sailed with Dave, he is one of the most impressively​ well rounded and knowledgeable sailors you can ever meet. When it comes to safe and efficient boat handling, Dave's knowledge is humbling.

So to me, Dave's offer to take people offshore with him was a very generous offer. That offer may not appeal to some folks, but to someone who wants to go offshore and wants to learn what that looks like, then there can be few better classrooms than a voyage with Dave.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #27 of 63 Old 1 Day Ago
Master Mariner

I can't think of many more demeaning things than begging strangers to fund my play/adventure time. There are so many on this planet who could use that money to feed their families or for medical care and medicines, that I just could never ask for something so selfish and frivolous.
If you wanna play, then you should pay. Gary had it right, he plays to play! Lucky him.
Lazerbrains, travlin-easy and Arcb like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

post #28 of 63 Old 1 Day Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post

amwbox, that is some beautiful filming, audio and story telling. Really great. Makes me see how much I have to learn. But where are the bikini babes ? Guess you don’t need it with that stunning videography and inspirational narrative (not really my style, but amazingly lovely).
Quality over jiggle.

Quote:
My approach (if I do it) will be more along the line of two greying codgers, moving along as slowly as we can go, exploring places that are interesting, remote, but not too scary … and I can wear a speedo if it helps .
To be fair...these guys on Sea Change, though they look like bums, are actually pro film makers.

They are shooting with RED Epic cinema cameras...the body alone on that sort of kit costs as much as a pretty good used car. They are equipped to shoot youtube videos with 5 figures worth of camera and lenses, and they are backing it up with a film school education. Are the rest of us, equipped with GoPros and consumer DSLR's going to do as well? Probably not...but with some proper editing and color grading skills, we can come pretty close.

Not that equipment matters all that much. But a happy side effect of Patreon and the like is that skilled people with serious ambitions can now make a financial case for producing this stuff...and we can all watch it for free.

In any case, what they've produced so far has been great. They're going to work their way up the Amazon, and then down the East coast of S America and around the Horn, apparently.

Childhood is when you idolize Batman. Adulthood is when you realize that the Joker makes more sense.

Last edited by amwbox; 1 Day Ago at 10:52 PM.
post #29 of 63 Old 1 Day Ago
arrgh!

Dock

The first couple times this question was posed

I was sympathetic...

I think my patience and the business mode here is at a tipping point. That is to say, the time to be making money like this was one or two years ago, now it seems as if people are more interested in doing it because they think everyone else is making money off of it... and I think very few are succeeding and far more think other people are succeeding at it.

I don't just mean sailing. Most of the people at go fund me see the success and think that is the 'future them'

Make a product (or service like music) and sell it, not an idea.

Now if your go fund me idea was to start a boat bottom cleaning business, where one invests in your business, this a chance of a financial return, then write out the business plan and see if you get some backers
jwing likes this.

Vector X Y
post #30 of 63 Old 1 Day Ago
Land lubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
That is my (our) plan as well. We just won't need to vblog or otherwise try to impress anyone for our living. We will provide for that ahead of time and just enjoy the cruising.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.