SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

CrowdFunding

13K views 133 replies 35 participants last post by  mbianka 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I'm wondering what people think of the use of crowdfunding to finance their sailing adventures. I have started to consider using something like gofundme to help offset some of my travel, food, gear costs, etc.. My biggest overall thing for this summer is some offshore racing on the West Coast (SoCal 300 and TransPac) and I'm from the East Coast.

Thoughts?

#2 ·
Somewhere between 3-6 times a year someone comes on SailNet hoping to crowd source their sailing adventure. I exchanged email and followed a couple of these folks in this process out of curiosity. Frankly they were not successful at raising anything other than from family and close friends and even then it was not enough to do much good. At best, if you are a really good sailor, you might be able to get a crew spot on a cruising boat or you might be able to sign onto some racing program at the lowest level and work your way up.

Otherwise, Plan 'B'-get a piece of cardboard and make sign that reads, "Aspiring yachtsman looking for help buying foulies" and stand in an intersection with a cup and let us know how you made out.

Jeff

#4 ·
If you could see me right now you would realize that I was ignoring your question. I would be thinking, did he really just ask that? and if i did answer your question I would suggest that you get a cup and a sign and stand on the end of the Jetty on race day and wait for one of the race boats to sail close enough and throw bags of money into your cup.

#6 ·
If by crowd funding you mean the various forms of personal financial support that some sailors and cruisers receive, then there are quite a few examples. The ones I’m aware of are mostly the Youtuber-types who provide a service that is valued by their supporters: their videos and ancillary stuff. I’ve also heard of some “good causes” that receive crowdfunded support. I’ve never heard of someone receiving support so they can go "offshore racing,” but I wouldn’t be surprised if that example also exists.

As far as I can understand it, those successful at this are selling a good and entertaining story. Flashing a bit of sexy skin seems to help as well.

#11 ·
I'm guessing you are talking about something like Fundmytravel?

With all of the poverty and environmental catastrophe taking place in the world, I can't imagine any motivation any one would have for spending their charitable donation budget on supporting somebody's yachting escapades.

Yachting is really one of those hobbies you should pay for out of your own pocket in my opinion.

If you're talking about selling advertising on a blog or a vlog, that's a different matter, but there are only a handful of people doing this succesfully, it takes investment in camera and editing equipment, time and a cool storey to tell.

#14 ·
Don't you guys north of the border already have something like that? I think it's called the dole. Just work a few months at a seasonal job and then the government gives you enough dosh and medical care to be sailing in the ol caribe for 8 months of the year.

#19 ·
I've always felt there was strong whorish smell to that game.
Those people want the shortcuts.
I used to see it often when I was involved in another type of adventure recreation.
They like to get 'sponsored-up', meaning free stuff for promises filled later, thinking sponsors add validity.
From then on, their goal is to impress and you can't tell truth from fiction...
Tip my 'gas can'.....?
Really need to replace x in the next x period of time...etc.
I think this also hurts those that operate as a real business and do a good job entertaining.

#20 ·
I have some cruisers friends that are doing the vblog, you tube stuff and they are no fun anymore. They don't come out diving any more, no time to throw a frisbee, no getting on the piss and telling war stories. They are "too busy" editing, filming, charging batteries to do any fun stuff..think they are sailing less too. I told them why don't you just go back and get a job..it would certainly pay a bit more and allow you to do do what your supposed to be doing.

I doubt they will be successful, as they are typical of the cruisers out here: Old, not so pretty and serious sagging on the bits most seem to be interested in on these types of videos.

Reactions: jwing
#23 ·
It’s a fine balance to be sure aeventyr60; finding the right place between work and play (or work and living). As a magazine writer I consciously stopped trying to turn my journey’s into stories. Of course that was back when my journey’s were the exception. Now that I’m full timing it (although not full time on the boat yet), I’m wondering about whether I should move into the Youtube video world. I’m still writing for some mags as well, but writing really doesn’t pay anymore. Filming, editing, mixing, posting … it all takes a huge amount of time. And the cost in quality equipment is not small, although a lot smaller than it used to be. We’ll see…

amwbox, that is some beautiful filming, audio and story telling. Really great. Makes me see how much I have to learn. But where are the bikini babes ;)? Guess you don’t need it with that stunning videography and inspirational narrative (not really my style, but amazingly lovely).

My approach (if I do it) will be more along the line of two greying codgers, moving along as slowly as we can go, exploring places that are interesting, remote, but not too scary … and I can wear a speedo if it helps :D.

#28 · (Edited)
amwbox, that is some beautiful filming, audio and story telling. Really great. Makes me see how much I have to learn. But where are the bikini babes ;)? Guess you don't need it with that stunning videography and inspirational narrative (not really my style, but amazingly lovely).
Quality over jiggle.

My approach (if I do it) will be more along the line of two greying codgers, moving along as slowly as we can go, exploring places that are interesting, remote, but not too scary … and I can wear a speedo if it helps :D.
To be fair...these guys on Sea Change, though they look like bums, are actually pro film makers.

They are shooting with RED Epic cinema cameras...the body alone on that sort of kit costs as much as a pretty good used car. They are equipped to shoot youtube videos with 5 figures worth of camera and lenses, and they are backing it up with a film school education. Are the rest of us, equipped with GoPros and consumer DSLR's going to do as well? Probably not...but with some proper editing and color grading skills, we can come pretty close.

Not that equipment matters all that much. But a happy side effect of Patreon and the like is that skilled people with serious ambitions can now make a financial case for producing this stuff...and we can all watch it for free.

In any case, what they've produced so far has been great. They're going to work their way up the Amazon, and then down the East coast of S America and around the Horn, apparently.

#24 ·
Mike, the magazines never really paid much, and now they pay less. At one time, I was writing for 25 print publications, including the Washington Post, Baltimore Sunpapers and York Dispatch. None of them paid worth a damned, but I made up for it in volume. I also wrote for some of the largest outdoor magazines in the world, and while their pay rate was fairly good, it took a lot more time to put one of their articles together because of the photo requirements.

In my case, during my trip down the ICW, I was crowdfunding by doing what I loved to do - play music and sing. In doing this, I drew some fairly large crowds to the performances, put out a tip pitcher and they filled it every night. So, I guess I was crowdfunding, but in a different way. I played and sang to the crowds and they funded part of my expenses.

So, Mike, when you eventually sail down to Marathon Key Florida and go into the Marathon City Marina, you will see the sign post that I'm playing near. You WILL love it down there.

All the best,

Gary :cool:

#25 ·
There is simply no reason for a stranger to just send a stranger money, simply because they asked for it. There needs to be a reason. I see no reason in the OP.

Those making vids on youtube/patreon are arguable working for a living. They spend hours making vids, editing and publishing. They are competing on story lines and quality. No way I want to spend that kind of time, while cruising.

There is a youtube channel done by a couple of kids (2-3 years out of college) that I watched religiously. They got jobs out of school and saved every penny to buy a boat and take a year off to sail to Bermuda. I loved the vicarious feeling of remembering when I was their age. Their video editing was horrible, but it didn't matter. It was the adventure.

Then they got back, after fulfilling their dream, and found Patreon. Next thing I know they are looking for other folks to send them money, so they can buy a bigger boat and do it again. I stopped watching. They weren't nearly good enough to be commercial quality to pay for. It instantly became a couple of 20-somethings that weren't getting down to making their own money and financing their own dreams. They were just hoping those of us that did would pay for their habit too.

#27 ·
I can't think of many more demeaning things than begging strangers to fund my play/adventure time. There are so many on this planet who could use that money to feed their families or for medical care and medicines, that I just could never ask for something so selfish and frivolous.
If you wanna play, then you should pay. Gary had it right, he plays to play! Lucky him.

#29 ·

The first couple times this question was posed

I was sympathetic...

I think my patience and the business mode here is at a tipping point. That is to say, the time to be making money like this was one or two years ago, now it seems as if people are more interested in doing it because they think everyone else is making money off of it... and I think very few are succeeding and far more think other people are succeeding at it.

I don't just mean sailing. Most of the people at go fund me see the success and think that is the 'future them'

Make a product (or service like music) and sell it, not an idea.

Now if your go fund me idea was to start a boat bottom cleaning business, where one invests in your business, this a chance of a financial return, then write out the business plan and see if you get some backers

#34 ·
Yea, I'll pile on.

Go to work. Get a job, anywhere doing anything. Doesn't pay enough, below your dignity offering fries with that? Fine, make some money at that job and use the money and borrow some money to get some schooling that gets you a better job? Say there are no jobs for people with higher education, do some research first and see which degrees actually result in jobs that pay well and help you pay back the debt? Don't like that, work with a tradesman as a journeyman to become good at a job that pays well?

Hoping you can make it fast track as an actor, celebrity or a sports star? Pretty competitive, so have a backup plan...see above. Check to odds on any path, when it's 1:1000 or worse, don't plan on winning the lottery.

Be responsible, to family, friends and what you believe in. Be a net contributor to the world.

Remember the participation awards you received were only for showing up. They don't mean you were special.

Life is work, but guess what, work is fulfilling. Providing for yourself and others is a worthy pursuit. Earn your escapes, then they will mean something.

And between providing for yourself by working, remember to give something back. Give to the poor, hungry, sick, and the people who really need it. There is so much real suffering in the world, plenty to do here. It will remind you of how lucky you are that you are able to work, provide for yourself, and maybe even have a little extra to go sailing.

<end of rant>

#36 ·
I recently saw a vlog or youtube made by a guy who endeavored to assess the top ten highest money grossing sailing vlogs. Sorry, I can't provide a link, nor can I explain how he gathered his data. Bottom line: of the top ten highest-funded sailing vlogs, only 4 made enough to buy groceries. That tells me that there are a lot of people working long hours on boat repairs and video shooting/editing for very little return.

Back in the real world, my income tax refund windfall is almost enough to buy the cheapest new sail for my 41-year-old 19' daysailer. There's no dam way I'm paying to watch somebody else to sail a 40'er around the Eastern Caribbean. I know this sounds really deviant, but I am actually working hard and saving money so that I can by a bigger boat and cruise her without having to solicit donations from strangers.

#38 ·
Not sure how that analysis of vlogs was done. I think the top youtube vlog is Sailing LaVagabond, which probably makes very little from youtube revenue. However, their Patreon sponsors have signed up for something like $9k per video! SV Delos is probably second most popular and around $7k per video.

However, they were both early adopters and followers will have a very hard time busting through. It can be done, but the first always has an advantage. Eventually, this new model will be taken over by corporate interests, which is already starting. SLV is getting a new boat, partially underwritten by Outremer. Rumor has it that Amel is talking to Delos. We'll see if things change.

I will add that SLV's last vid has a gratuitous shot of Riley standing naked on the side decks, facing away, with a towel over his shoulder that hangs down and covers his butt. Fair is fair, it can't just be the ladies that are half naked, but I have to say that this shot served absolutely no other purpose. Ladies in bikinis are sunning or swimming, this one was just a money shot for lady contributors on Patreon.

#43 ·
Not sure how that analysis of vlogs was done. I think the top youtube vlog is Sailing LaVagabond, which probably makes very little from youtube revenue. However, their Patreon sponsors have signed up for something like $9k per video! SV Delos is probably second most popular and around $7k per video.

However, they were both early adopters and followers will have a very hard time busting through. It can be done, but the first always has an advantage. Eventually, this new model will be taken over by corporate interests, which is already starting. SLV is getting a new boat, partially underwritten by Outremer. Rumor has it that Amel is talking to Delos. We'll see if things change.

I will add that SLV's last vid has a gratuitous shot of Riley standing naked on the side decks, facing away, with a towel over his shoulder that hangs down and covers his butt. Fair is fair, it can't just be the ladies that are half naked, but I have to say that this shot served absolutely no other purpose. Ladies in bikinis are sunning or swimming, this one was just a money shot for lady contributors on Patreon.
Of the three Sailing LaVagabound, S/V Delos and Sophisticated Lady I like Delos the best and whose videos I tend to watch the most over the off season. I like their laid back honesty and how they portray daily on board living, maintenance, the explorations they make and when and why they cruise to where they are heading. It's been interesting how their mindset has changed over the years.

They recently spent about two hours answering their Patrons questions live. Bryan admitted that when he started sailing Delos he was of an "all or nothing" mindset when cruising. Though these days they stop and get off the boat for a few months before continuing on. Which is how I think many end up after the initial plunge into the cruising lifestyle. I know my expectations and needs have also changed over the years too.

Though in the early years they stopped because they ran out of money and went back to work to refill the sailing kitty. Brady the brother of Bryan even worked in a fast food shop making Burritos to earn the cash to continue cruising. Though these days they seem to make enough through You Tube videos and Patreon donations but, still take a break from cruising. Though I surprised to hear that Bryan is still making payments on the loan he took out to buy Delos.

I think they earn the money too as Bryan admitted in their latest Q & A video. Taking video's and the time to edit them does take a toll on the cruising experience. It's hours of work to edit them and when one is videoing a scene you are concentrating on framing, focusing etc... in a little screen and missing the big picture experience. They are still about seven months behind in their editing of their recent cruise. Here is a link to their Q & A session: A lot of good info about their routine, equiptment and lifestyle.

#39 ·
The top ten grossing sailing vlogs analysis included estimates of income from Patreon, as well as Youtube revenue. He estimated that LaVagabond pulls in over $300K per year. Delos was second, my recollection is about $150K. Rick Moore's Sophistcated Lady was third at $50+K.

A new entry on the sailing scene is in the top 4: Gone with the Wynns. They starting sailing about a year ago, but they had previous motorhome traveling vlog experience.

#44 ·
The top ten grossing sailing vlogs analysis included estimates of income from Patreon, as well as Youtube revenue. He estimated that LaVagabond pulls in over $300K per year. Delos was second, my recollection is about $150K. Rick Moore's Sophistcated Lady was third at $50+K.
I doubt LaVagabond gets anywhere near that.

However if by chance its anywhere near that remember its split between 2 people, less tax of course.
And they have increasing 'on costs' if the hire a pro editor.
There's also 'oportunity costs': it's a short term occupation - no tv show lasts forever. So they have to make it now and stash it in investments.

Finally, $150K per year is low money for a tv host... or lawyer, engineer, or any professional.

So I wouldn't be slapping them around if they were making $300k pa. But I strongly doubt they are

Mark

#40 ·
SLV is in the Med now, so it will be interesting to see how they do with their lifestyle. That's a lot of money, but I don't think there are too many inexpensive places in the Med (ala the Polynisian and Indonesian waters). Perhaps Outremer will be picking up their maintenance costs. It will be interesting to see how much "advertising" they do.

I did see a vid that had google data, showing how the SLV Cyclades and the Outremer were notably searched when SLV started getting popular and they mentioned getting the Outremer. No doubt, commercial interests will take note of this new media and we'll see more involvement.

#46 ·
You can see how much they make from simply looking at their Patreon page:

https://www.patreon.com/LaVagabonde

So...9 grand per video. Patreon takes a 5% cut, iirc.

Even leaving aside ad revenue from youtube entirely, and leaving aside sponsorship deals entirely, they could pull down $150K on fewer than 20 videos.

Also, no, $150K is NOT low money for an engineer. Average salary in this field is still under six figures. Maybe in particular locations $150,000 would be considered "low" for engineering?

Eventually, people will get tired of this Patreon thing, and the bottom will fall out of all of this. Personally, I'd find it difficult to give even a dollar a video to a couple who are being set up with what could be a 7 figure brand new boat from Outremer as they shamelessly pimp themselves for clicks. But for Sailing with Andy, a former Coastie who's trying to make it around the world by himself on an old Cape Dory 30 along a less beaten path? That's something less commercial that we can feel good about getting behind, even if his production values are a lot rougher.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.