SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

West Marine prices

23K views 106 replies 38 participants last post by  Freesail99 
#1 ·
I was told a few weeks ago by my local West Marine manager that local stores would no longer match their catalog prices. I didn't ask if this was permanent or just until a new catalog is introduced. As it is, catalog orders are still subject to State sales tax in addition to shipping and receiving if ordered directly from the catalog. Defender prices are not subject to sales tax as there is no local (Texas) nexis but are of course subject to shipping costs. Has anyone encountered this in their location?

#3 ·
Yep, I think that is everywhere. I will tell you that I buy most of what I can off of the internet now and it saves me a lot of money... just in tax alone but it is also cheaper. However, I maintain a very good relationship with a West Marine manger too because there are always times you need something right there and then.

Personally, I think they are cutting their own throats. Am I wrong in assuming there is TREMENDOUS markup in marine items? If so, tell me how they can run a 50% off sale and still make money??

- CD

#4 ·
I just bought 100' 4 awg Ancor marine wire off ebay from http://stores.channeladvisor.com/genuinedealz for $1.68/ft ($177 with shipping) and if I had went to West marine it was $5.45/ft ($545 but no shipping) thats a $368 savings, but I do have to wait 2 days tell it will get here. Not saying West Marine is a bad store cause when you need something they there for you, but there prices have tons of markup.

#6 ·
It is like a Asset Management Account: Keep most of your money in Charles Schwab but maintain that local relationship with your banker!! Otherwise when you need something immediately you will get screwed! Besides, on many items, you need to SEE what you are buying. Knowledgeable people that you deal with face-face help too. You cannot get that over the internet, ever.

#7 ·
Ok, according to the 2006 catalog, they state that prices are subject to change. It also says that store prices may vary. So that covers them on not giving the catalog price in store. What they also say though, is they will meet any national or local competitors price on identical items. It doesn't say, only from local stores, or any other qualifier. So it would seem they are not holding to their word on that, as I was told they would only meet prices from local businesses.

I do know, from personal experience, that their markups on many things would make a pawnbroker blush. That said though, they are a national chain, with stores all over, and if you need it, right now, sometimes that's the only way to go.

In redoing my electrical system, I bought my AC panel through Sailnet, at considerable savings, as well as my new Wheel Pilot. I'm getting my new DC panel through Jack Rabbit, as they have the best price on it.

If you can wait on it, it certainly pays to shop around. But when you need it now, there's (usually) West Marine.

#8 ·
I have extensive experience with the pompous a@@es at the local evil empire.

I have even gone as far as the wally-world up the street, purchased something, then sauntered into west and asked them if they needed a new supplier for that particular item, cuz wally-world was less than 1/2 of the cost.

I refuse to pay the exorbatant prices there and will do my level best to either find what I need on the net, or do without.
example
plastimo contest 101,
evil empire, 214.99
go2marine, 196.00
sailnet, 181.00
defender, 179.00
marisafe, 99.00 (blue)

#9 ·
WM markups:
here are some examples which might surprise you- obviously, the markup varies with item:
inflatable PFD WM retail $150 WM cost $64
WM Raiatea binoculars WM retail $170 WM cost $39
FSR retail $10 cost $2
Teak cleaner retail $15 cost $3.20
5200 lg tube retail $14 cost $6
Racor fuel filter retail $31 cost $15
Cetol retail $34 cost $16
bottom paint WM brand (US Paint) retail $99 cost $33
shaft zinc (1 1/4) retail $30 cost $5
maxprop zinc $47 cost $6

#10 ·
A thread on Sailing Anarchy has been on WM's case lately, too. Can't get around the fact that they have high prices and, with a few exceptions, sales people who know next to nothing. The first couple of years I had my P-33 I bought a ton of stuff, mostly from internet outfits -- Defender, Sailnet, Consumer's Marine Electronics, and a few smaller outfits who seem to find a niche and hang on. I bought fancy new Blue Seas DC and AC panels with extra breakers from an online outfit that carried very little on their shelves but the guy would order anything I wanted at a good price. (I can't even remember their name right now!) I also have bought some stuff from WM on ebay for a good price. And I recommended genuinedealz.com to someone else on here who was looking at wire for a windlass.

WM needs to look at their business model, which I assume they have. Sometimes it's hard to tell?

#12 ·
What I have bought at West Marine seems to be higher. I look at them sort of like the "Seven Eleven" of the marine world. I guess you pay extra for the convenience. If it is something I don't need today, I usually try to find it on the internet. If I need it now, I have several local vendors that I visit in ascending price order. West Marine is at the end of my list. By the time I get there, I'm tired of shopping and kinda irritable--that probably does not exert a positive influence on my experience at West Marine. :D

#16 ·
Haven't heard anything about that. I do know they are closing a lot of the BoatUS stores they own. I don't really see them closing the West stores though, not if the stores around here are any indication. The parking lots are rarely empty.

#17 ·
Is it true that all West Marine retail stores are on the chopping block?
If they aren't they should be. To lose money with the margins they run is criminal neglect!
They closed 35 stores this year and that is healthy. The real problem is that management doesn't have a clue as to what customers really want...stuff in stock...the lowest possible prices...and friendly service policies. all the rest is nice window dressing...but they need to fix the big 3 if they hope to return to profitable growth or they will find boaters increasingly driven to other outlets for their big ticket sales and non-time sensitive purchases.
Here's their latest financial release:
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=61950&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=946742&highlight=

#18 ·
Another example:
Lifeline netting:
WM $2.50 - $3.60 per foot depending on length
SeaMar: $0.64 per foot at any length
And SeaMar says the new WM stuff is garbage.. no longer knotted, breaks down in the sun, etc. When I asked SeaMar why it is so much less than WM, he said that they could not mark it up any more and feel good. Thus, they are already making a solid profit at 64 cents a foot!
http://www.seamar.com/nets/rail.html

Gil

#19 ·
5200 at West Marine was raised to $17.00 a tube about the same time Home Depot (one that is close to the water and is aware of the 10,000 boats on Clear Lake) 2 blocks away started selling it for 8 or 9 bucks. The crappy attitudes will also make it a store of last resort.
pigslo

#20 ·
The Wal-Mart virtuous circle is force suppliers to lower prices....give customers lower prices...use more customers buying to force suppliers to lower costs etc.etc.

West Marine...force suppliers to lower costs...pass lower costs on to customers in the form of price increases...lose customers...lose money...repeat cycle since you need to be more profitable!

#22 ·
I used to be a member and purchased alot there. Then I decided that it was better to shop at Defender and other internet sites. I haven't been there for almost a year. Now that they don't price match, I won't be going back at all. If I really need it I'll get it from my marina the owner's cool and deserves the $ more than Waste Marine.

#24 ·
West marine

I agree that WM is on average more expensive than a lot of other places...but there are always opportunities for deals. They had a booth at the Toronto boat show this week and I bought a Ramarine wind system for my mirage 32. I got it for about $300 less than normal retail and about $50 less than any of the competition at the show. Not sure about the US but here one of the upsides of WM is the selection. The comments about the generally low experience/knowledge level of the sales people is very true.

#25 ·
Actually, from my experience, the selection they carry generally isn't all that great for a lot of items.

#26 ·
How much they carry depends on the store. Their Annapolis store is pretty huge and carries a ton of stuff. I have to admit that I have been to West many times, but it's usually for small items (like the Seafit Miracle Cloth) and when I need something right away. Outside of that, I order from Defender (almost everything from here), Landfall Navigation, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.