SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Experienced Tampa Bay/Clearwater sailor needed...

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Davy J 
#1 ·
Long story short, my wife and I took sailing lessons in October of 2015, bought a Catalina 30 a month later in November and found out we were going to be parents in December. Needless to say we didn't get to take full advantage of the boat over the last year with the new addition so we didn't get to hone our sailing skills after the ASA certifications.

On top of all the above I just changed jobs and they moved us to Clearwater from Nashville Tn along with our boat. As of now, I have the boat at Apollo Beach Marina on the hard prepping to launch. Where I need help is getting from Apollo Beach marina to Clearwater Beach marina. From my novice eyes it appears to be an 8-10 hour journey but I could be way off. I need someone that has experience with the bay and the coast to help my wife and I make the journey. We can motor, motor/sail or sail. I prefer to sail just to get the experience but understand that may not be completely possible.

I have a very flexible job so I can make it on a weekend or weekday. At this point I am hoping for a transit date of April 16th weather permitting. I am looking for someone that can help us get there but also help us refine our sailing skills while making the journey and teach us about the local waters. I don't expect anyone to do this free of charge. If anyone is interested or knows anyone that would be, please shoot me a PM.

Thanks

Brad.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)

Where I need help is getting from Apollo Beach marina to Clearwater Beach marina. From my novice eyes it appears to be an 8-10 hour journey but I could be way off. I need someone that has experience with the bay and the coast to help my wife and I make the journey. We can motor, motor/sail or sail. I prefer to sail just to get the experience but understand that may not be completely possible.

Thanks

Brad.
Brad,

Assuming you head southwest across the Bay and cut through Pass-a-Grill Pass to the Gulf, Apollo Beach Marina to Clearwater Marina is about 42 miles so you could reasonably expect about 8 hours. Regardless of the wind direction, you're going to have some work to weather on one leg or another although winds from southwest to east would be the most favorable considering the relatively long haul from Pass-a-Grill to Clearwater.

Given your "story" how well acquainted are you with the boat and what is her condition? Moreover, who will have set up and tuned her rig if you have just had her shipped in and re-rigged?

#4 ·
Brad,

Assuming you head southwest across the Bay and cut through John's Pass to the Gulf, Apollo Beach Marina to Clearwater Marina is about 42 miles so you could reasonably expect about 8 hours. Regardless of the wind direction, you're going to have some work to weather on one leg or another although winds from southwest to east would be the most favorable considering the relatively long haul from John's Pass to Clearwater.

Given your "story" how well acquainted are you with the boat and what is her condition?
Without plotting the journey on charts in estimated it at about 40-44 miles so looks like I was pretty close. I am extremely familiar with the boat on a mechanical level. I have upgraded most major systems including all running rigging and all 9 chain plates as well as thruhulls have been replaced with groco bronze fitting. The standing rigging and sails were replaced in 2013. There isn't a single bump or blister on the bottom. Only thing that doesn't currently work is my chart plotter, go figure. She is in fantastic condition. When it comes to sailing her, I am only slightly familiar.

#5 · (Edited)
Is the rig set up and tuned and if so by whom?

Also--note that in my earlier comment I referred to Johns Pass. That should have been Pass-a-Grill/North Channel (no need to go any further on the ICW than necessary) which only gives you one brige opening to have to deal with.

#7 ·
I would suggest you contact a reputable yacht broker in your area. They have a stable of excellent, experienced and proven captains that they rely on to move boats and familiarize their clients with their new purchases.
IMO it's always risky getting non-professionals to help you move your boat. There are horror stories aplenty on here and other forums.

#8 ·
Good Christoper Capta,

You're talking about a little Catalina 30 moving all of from Apollo Beach to Clearwater for goodness sake. That's a day-sail, not some big expedition. Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill. Once the rig is up and tuned (in an afternoon if that), the rest is a no brainer. One folded chart and a hand held VHF to talk to the E-Span Bridge Tender and, if necessary, harbor master at Clearwater and he's good to go. Leave at 0730 and arrive by 1630-1700. NBD--Just remember to pack a lunch.

#9 ·
Well, a 30 footer sinks just as easily as a 50 footer. The mast can come down just as easily as well, from improper set up to hitting a bridge.
My take is that this couple has almost no experience and it's been some time since they took the lessons: "we didn't get to hone our sailing skills".
The Fla West coast ICW can be a pretty tricky bit of navigating; very shallow in places and some variable currents.
What you and I might consider a 'pleasant day sail', might be anything but for a couple with little or no experience on their boat, in unfamiliar waters!
I for one, would err on the side of caution and perhaps that's why I've never lost a vessel or injured anyone seriously in over 50 years of messing about on boats.

#11 · (Edited)
A Captain will run you about $250.
A bud will pick him up at the destination so no extra travel.
Maybe a Subway sandwich and sodas...spring for the foot long...

Might be the best real world sailing lesson you get....bam, he's there and works you like a deck hand, explaining the whys and whats along the way.

Then he turns your love over to you along the way...and you feel comfy, less unsure...

..edit: Have a broker recommend a captn that really knows sailboats, not a power boat guy.

#13 ·
Not sure why I couldn't sign into my account, haven't used it in a few years. Anyway, new account, similar username.

I live in Apollo Beach and have made this trip quite a few times, both in power boats and sailboats.
You have a few options, but as mentioned, the easiest route is across Tampa Bay, then into the channel that goes under the Dick Misener bridge, then through structure "E" in Tierra Verde.

At that point you have a choice, go out into the Gulf of Mexico thru Pass-a-grille then up the coast into Clearwater pass. Or, just head north on the GICW. If you use the second option, you can forget sailing and will be just motoring. The GICW route is easy and not as dependent on the weather. However, there are three or four bridges that you would need opened, not a big deal, but takes some extra time. The other negative is the numerous powerboat wakes to deal with.

When will you launch the boat? That marina is small, will you be able to keep the boat in the water before departure? BTW, went past your boat yesterday and it looks very nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.