Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for posting the photo G-. I had saved it to my computer but, as usual, couldn't get it on to a post! Now could you put the Ken Barns photo up???

I may be wrong, but I just don't see a keel stepped mast taking out a section of deck. It seems that the mast would exert lateral force on the partners during a dismasting which would be far less likely to fracture the deck than upward or downward force.
I do agree that neither options is more, or less likely to fail, if built correctly. Dismasting would be more of a failure of the rigging and chainplates than the mast itself.
Old 01-18-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I think johnsail could provide some real insight into this. I think he wrote a book on the Fastnet race. Again, we are talking extreme conditions, but I would love to hear from another expert.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2007

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
I envision several mast failure modes but the most likely that I see is a stay failing and the resultant assymetrical forces breaking the mast. In this case the lateral forces on a keel stepped mast would make the failure point either the deck (if the deck is stronger on a horizontal plane than the mast) or {horror} the mast pivoting around the keel mounting point and tearing away a large chunk of the deck before {hopefully} being pulled out. This mode couldn't happen with a deck stepped mast, even after sliding off the mounting harpoint the forces would be more lateral than vertical.
look at 2 distinct failure modes - mast breaking above deck and

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-18-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C
Thanks for posting the photo G-. I had saved it to my computer but, as usual, couldn't get it on to a post! Now could you put the Ken Barns photo up???

I may be wrong, but I just don't see a keel stepped mast taking out a section of deck. It seems that the mast would exert lateral force on the partners during a dismasting which would be far less likely to fracture the deck than upward or downward force.
I do agree that neither options is more, or less likely to fail, if built correctly. Dismasting would be more of a failure of the rigging and chainplates than the mast itself.
At your service.....

Old 01-18-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Thanks G- !!

I would guess that is typical of deck stepped mast breakage like the previous photo. The force being applied at the masthead by the halyard and having an oposing force at the lower shrouds.
Old 01-18-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I think the reason a keel stepped mast often damages the deck is that it does break higher up..and the mast falls and punches a hole through the deck where it hits. A deck-stepped mast usually breaks at the mast step and gets swept from the deck, not damaging the deck much otherwise.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-18-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Both masts on my ketch rig are deck stepped, and based upon the conclusive reasoning in this thread, I'm glad I have less potential for double trouble.
Old 01-18-2007
Thanks Courtney.

SD- I think that is a good point, but with the force on the sail I would guess the masthead is "most likely" going to fall over the side. There is the possibility that I think Jeff mentioned that the keel stepped mast wouldn't shear off or break, but bend over (fold) and need to be cut off of the stump.
Old 01-18-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
OHHHH My!!!! Jesus, Mary, and Joseph!!!

Where this is going.....soon Michael Moore will be writing about this, too
Old 01-18-2007
Thanks Courtney.

I think this thread has already included more facts than MM.

Boy G- you sure know how to throw fuel on the fire!!