Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2007

davejq is on a distinguished road
Sailing around LA

My work is talking about relocating me to around Los Angeles. I know it boasts of summer temps all year, but what's the sailing weather ie wind like? Is it a prevailing NW 24/7 all year, or is it calm in the morning, building sea breeze though the day then dead in the evening? Is summer the same as winter? This matters to me (even if not to my boss ). Any input from a local would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-19-2007

bsfree is on a distinguished road
I live in Marina Del Rey, Los Angeles. The weather is not the same all year round, but the winters are milder than most states, though the nights are darn cold right now. The wind is generally out of the N/W and it is, as you say, usually calm in the morning until around 11am when the wind builds. Santa Monica bay is huge and great for day sailing, with Catalina an option for a 6-7hr sail and overnight stay.
Good Luck
Old 01-19-2007

Aasem is on a distinguished road
My boat is in San Pedro. On a typical day of 10-15 kt. from the NW, you can easily sail to Catalina in about 3.5 hours. We usually pick up a mooring bouy in one of the harbors, and do some fishing and drinking and lobster hunting. For longer cruises, we head to the other islands. I think it's a nice place to sail.
Old 01-19-2007

I you'd like to follow the weather, this is probably the best site for conditions in and just outsite LA Harbor/San Pedro. http://www.mxsocal.org/weather.aspx It blows more here than it does in Santa Monica Bay.
Old 01-19-2007
Cruising Countdown

sailguy42 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sailguy42 Send a message via MSN to sailguy42
Like bsfree I too live in Marina Del Rey. It’s a great location with some 5000+ boats, several yacht clubs, two boat yards and several boating supply stores.

The summers are moderate, usually in the 70’s and 80’s during the day with 40% to 70% humidity. Even with these comfortable temperatures the Pacific is cool and it’s not uncommon to find yourself slipping into a jacket once off shore. There is no wind to speak of in the morning until about 1100 when you finally start to feel a breeze. By mid afternoon it can build to between 10 and 20 knots typically out of the NW. This lasts until roughly 1800 or 1900 and then starts to tail off until your sails are hanging and it’s time to start the ol’ iron jib. Temperatures at night can drop to 50’s and 60’s so keep that jacket handy. There usually is little air moving and the skies are clear.

Winters are in the 50’s and 60’s, during the day. It’s also the time of year when we get most of our weather. If it’s clear then the patterns can be much the same as summer. If some weather has moved in the winds can become quite strong, gusting to gale force. When rain finally does manage to fall it usually comes down quite hard but lasts only a day. At night temperatures drop to 30’s and 40’s.

And then there are the Santa Ana’s. During this phenomenon winds are driven from the deserts and valleys through the passes in the mountains where the temperature rises due to compressional heating. They tend to be out of the NE to SE and can become quite strong. Personally I enjoy sailing when the Santa Ana’s are up because the wind is warm and I can stay in my shorts and sandals the entire day while off shore.

Of course this is just a overview of the typical weather in this area. Tomorrow will probably bring something to call me a liar. If you would like more info or help with the area I’d be glad to assist. Please visit my site at http://www.svknighthawk.com and use the email link there. Happy sailing.

Last edited by sailguy42; 01-19-2007 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-20-2007

Sailguy is generally accurate, but his thermometer seems off.

It's true that in the winter, there might be a week or two when the high is in the 50's--but that's it. There are probably more winter weeks in the 70's and 80's than in the 50's (see Santa Ana winds).

As for it dipping into the 30's and 40's at night... that is pretty damned rare. This week has been unusually cold, and it did dip into the 30's one night. But typical winter nights are in the high 50's or low 60's. And, winter is very short here.

Watch the weather link in my last post. That's from one of the coldest and windiest places in Southern California (it's warmer once you get offshore, or in the islands).
Old 01-20-2007

davejq is on a distinguished road
Many thanks all, it sounds like the sailing is good. I'm likely to be north of the city so Channel Island Harbor or Ventura Marina will probably be closer than del Rey, but I assume the weather's the same! If I could ask one more - are Santa Cruz / Rosa / Miguel islands any good for overnight stays?
Old 01-21-2007

Yeah, the northern Channel Islands are great for overnight stays. The sailing is outstanding up there, and most people prefer them to the southern islands.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/chis/homepage.htm

But don't assume the weather is the same up there as in Marina Del Rey. If you like wind, and like to sail, Channel Island Harbor and Ventura will be better than anywhere in Santa Monica Bay.

Keep an eye on these:
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/lox/
http://www.nawcwpns.navy.mil/%7Eweat.../analysis.html

There are probably weather sites more specific to Ventura or Channel Islands if you search.