Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2007

HarryB is on a distinguished road
bayliner buccaneer

I'm a licensed captain (100 ton) and have sailed extensively between Hawaii, Canada and Mexico and everywhere in between on every kind of sailboat imaginable. For eight years I taught sailing on an Annapolis 44. I'm also the proud owner of a 30 foot Bayliner Buccaneer. In addition to being a good performer it's stable and well built. There are other smaller Bayliners that are not as seaworthy but consider their intended uses.They're easily trailerable and roomy as all get out. I knew a couple that lived on one. What's more, they're self righting and self bailing. How many trailables can make that claim? These are great boats if you use them right.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Harry...post that on sailing anarchy...those guys would love to hear your evaluation of the bucaneer! (G)
Gotta say you have guts making your first post in defense of a Buccaneer. Welcome aboard!
Lest anyone think I am being unduly harsh in my assessment of this boat/brand I would direct your attention to the Practical Sailor review....of the Bucc305.
I just love it when hulls and decks are screwed together (not bolted) with silicon as the adhesive! And there's lots more wrong....
practreprint1
practreprint2

Last edited by camaraderie; 07-18-2007 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-19-2007

WuWei is on a distinguished road
I own a 1981 US Yachts 30' sailboat. United Sailing Yachts was a subsidary of Bayliner, but the building quality was far superior. Hence, US Yachts are have been attached with the "stigma" of being a Bucc, even though they really aren't. My boat is a Doug Peterson design (racer/cruiser), and was pretty solidly built. All US Yachts owners will agree- they are damn solid boats, sail like a dream, and not one has ever had a bottom blister. The mold to the US 30 was sold to Pearon (after Bayliner axed production of sailboats so they could focus on power boats, like the Capri), and was produced as the 303 Triton. US Yachts look nothing like Buccs.

Buccs on the other hand... There are pluses and minuses, and some ugly designs combined with poor QC gave them a bad rep. There are some Bucc owners who swear by their boats, and have diligently fortified and restored them. They are an economical boat, as they can be acquired on the cheap. Not everyone can afford a brand-new boat, or an overpriced used O'Day daysailor. Not all Buccs are lemons, either- there are some solidly built ones, too.

So don't be too quick to bash a Bucc on hearsay or one experience. I have seen brand new Hunters with delamination and blisters, brand new Tartans and Hanses that are already falling apart, sailed on O'Days and Catalinas that sailed like absolute crap, etc etc. The only way you'll know if you are buying a good boat of any brand versus a lemon is to "test drive" the thing (sailing is a requirement), and inspect the hell out of it (electrical, mechanical, and plumbing.)

Chris
us 30' Wu-Wei
http://www.diysailor.com
(Our website is dedicated to US Yachts, but you can find Bucc info here, too!)
Old 04-12-2008

Buccaneer295 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Buccaneer bashing

You know, I am new to this site but have to say that if you don't like the boat then get a different one. It is funny how everyone is quick to bash the buccaneer but what about all the other boats that are not so desireable. I can think of oh say macgregor, hunter, catalina just to name a few. I have sailed on, holidayed on and grew up on eight different boats ranging from C&C to Abote and all have had good and bad things about them; this boat has been no different. I currently own the Peterson hull 29.5 and have had in in 25+ knot winds with 6-7 foot waves and it handled beautifully. Not once did I feel that the boat was unseaworthy or that I was risking my life or that of my family. Maintain and respect your boat and it will last for years. Let's remember, everyone thought that a pinto was a great car at one time. Again, if you don't like this particular type of boat then buy a different one. We are supposed to be enjoying the activity not comparing who has the better toy. I could be worse, you could switch to power and really feel safe tied to the dock.

From the rantings of someone who loves the sport no matter what I sail

humbly yours
Jas
Old 04-12-2008
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
My boat's not ugly. In fact I'm often introduced as "the guy with the prettiest boat in the club". It sails well too. I found myself in our annual "around Perry (lake) alone" race, way overcanvassed. I sailed along at 45 degrees or more, drinking a coke and eating chips with the wheel brake on. I wasn't going fast heeling like that, but I wasn't scared for my life either.

Are there ugly and possibly unseaworthy Buccs? there sure are. Are there unseaworthy and ugly boats made by "good" manufacturers? you bet.

One thing is for sure, Bucc owners love their boats and will defend them to the death. I know I love mine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 04-12-2008
Sailor

Plumper is on a distinguished road
I spent a lot of time sailing my dad's Buc 305 and it was a reasonable boat. Quite quick in light airs, roomy and inexpensive. What is the issue? Can't be that bad. It's a Bill Garden design.
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
Shakespeare, Julius Caesar IV, iii, 217
Old 04-12-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough

You're right...it isn't as ugly as some of the other Buc's. Unfortunately, Garden only designed them to what was demanded and didn't have anything to do with the build quality.
Old 04-12-2008
Sailor

Plumper is on a distinguished road
That is the one. He loved that boat. Sailed it for many years then sold it for the same price he paid for it.
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
Shakespeare, Julius Caesar IV, iii, 217
Old 04-12-2008
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
I'm trying to remember what they guy across from me has. It's an older big name boat, about 26-28 feet. It makes the ugliest bucc look sleek. It might be damn near unsinkable, I don't know. I do know that even the boats designer would have a hard time loving that one. When I figure it out I'll find a pic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 04-12-2008

WuWei is on a distinguished road
John,

Technically, your boat is NOT a Bucc- it's a US Yacht! Funny, we had the rigger out a few weeks ago to replace the Windex, pulleys for the flag lines, retape the spreaders, inspect the rigging and tune the mast. The rigger thought our boat was newer and could not believe she is 27 years old. We get that a lot, she has sleek lines. I also received two offers by individuals wishing to buy her on the same day- WTF?! She's not even for sale! I replied, "Uh, NO! Not after I've just spent three days refinishing brightwork! Get your OWN US Yacht!"

Weather window once again mislead us, and we found ourselves 13 miles offshore battling a storm. Seas were choppy and greater than 5 feet. It was as if someone was literally picking up the entire boat and dropping it bow first in the ocean every 5 seconds, wave of water hitting the front half of the boat. Nightmare for us, especially at night, but, old girl handled it like a champ. We pulled in to Venice Inlet at 3am, and were very surprised to find nothing broken the next morning and the bilge dry as a bone. (We are glad we repowered and have a 3-blade prop- makes handling rough seas better.)

We were enroute to Key West, but after the new weather forecast of a front (up to gale force winds, seas 6-8 feet), let's be realistic. Wu-Wei is an old boat and shoal draft- not going to chance it. But, we know she can handle rough seas. We did learn on this trip that our auto-pilot works like a champ and T-Mobile coverage works 13 miles offshore (we had to check the radar on our Blackberrys- I would have never guessed it'd work that far out...)

As for Key West, we're going this week instead- by truck, and with the new kayak!