Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2008

Alanjp is on a distinguished road
u.s yacht 25 here, so far i have only sailed her in biscane bay but she is moving to Texas in June i hope. after a bottom clean and paint in may. I may not get far offshore, But y'all with the million dollar boats, we still love to sail, and we love our boats! Ya wanna bash, kiss my butt. I'll be sailing when your cleaning up the puke from your last drunken party on your Yacht!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2008
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
Well, in spite of the admonition against regurgitating old threads, I simply have to comment on this one. I'll come out of the closet and say that my first boat was a Bayliner Buccanneer. 21 feet. Sure, she was ugly and she didn't sail that well, however, and this is an important however, she was constructed poorly.

We bought her about 15 or 16 years ago for $2500. That included a tandem trailer. We sailed her for three years on Chautauqua Lake in western New York. And we loved her, (tear in the eye) like a parent loves a misshapen child. My wife and I and our two daughters spent many many weekends on her: cooking blond pancakes on her little alcohol stove; emptying the disgusting port-a-potty; all four of us standing on the transom after a rain to empty the cockpit because of an inexplicably located scupper; one of my daughters sleeping in the bunk under the cockpit which was referred to as the 'coffin'.

But the family learned to sail, and cope with the tight living quarters, and we learned we could handle emergencies as a family, surviving on lake Erie in an unpredicted storm with winds to 50, sharp breaking 10 foot waves causing the gudgeons to break from the transom and losing the rudder.

We owned her for 3 years and sold her for $5,000. Shortly thereafter, we sold the houses, the cars, etc. etc. bought our current boat and have lived aboard for 11 years. We still think of the Harbinger from time to time. And chuckle. We were new at it. We made mistakes. We learned, we survived. And I'd do it again in a minute under the same circumstances.

So let's not fault others who need to struggle through the learning stages. Let's offer help, not snobbery. Take your Bayliner out on little lakes and have a wonderful time.

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. Youíve got to buy her things. Youíve got to understand everything about her. What you donít know sheíll use against you." -Captain Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-13-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I have to step in here. The smaller boats were manufactured on the east coast and the larger boats were manufactured on the west coast. I have a Bucc 305. The hull is solid glass on mine and above the water line where I just put in a Thur hole it is 1.5 inches thick. My deck is not riveted or screwed to the hull, it is bolted. The 305 is a fairly heavy boat, heavier then a Catalina 30. I know the smaller boats had a different build quality. Maybe it came down to whether it was a east or west coast build? Bayliner answers no questions. My boat sails well in light air and doesn't hobby horse when the seas get a little ruff. I wouldn't cross oceans in it, but it makes for a roomy coastal cruiser. Which is why I own it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Freesail99; 04-13-2008 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-13-2008

WuWei is on a distinguished road
Alanjp,

Feel free to visit our website and post picts of your US 25' at: http://www.diysailor.com. We love hearing from other US Yacht owners and seeing their project picts!

No one is bashing US Yachts- people are bashing Buccs. Yeah, owned by the same peeps for a time, but you will rarely see a negative post on the sleek US Yacht.

Bucc owners DO love their boats, and do great things to improve them. Bucc owners are great people, and make their boats very seaworthy. The concept is there for a good boat, but Bayliner went cheap. These very enterprising owners have done outstanding things to their boats to make them tanks. Not all Buccs were built the same, either. Some were actually built quite well.

BTW, Freesail99, Good for you! You have a good Bucc! And are a realist in your sailing capability! The 305 has a different layout than the US 30'- I do like it. You are also more than welcome to visit our website and post picts!
Old 04-13-2008
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
WuWei, I looked at the pics of your boat and must say you have it looking cozy. to stray off topic for a sec, how well does that little fridge freezer work?

Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Old 04-14-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Alanjp,

Feel free to visit our website and post picts of your US 25' at: DIY Sailor, US Yachts owners group. We love hearing from other US Yacht owners and seeing their project picts!

No one is bashing US Yachts- people are bashing Buccs. Yeah, owned by the same peeps for a time, but you will rarely see a negative post on the sleek US Yacht.

Bucc owners DO love their boats, and do great things to improve them. Bucc owners are great people, and make their boats very seaworthy. The concept is there for a good boat, but Bayliner went cheap. These very enterprising owners have done outstanding things to their boats to make them tanks. Not all Buccs were built the same, either. Some were actually built quite well.

BTW, Freesail99, Good for you! You have a good Bucc! And are a realist in your sailing capability! The 305 has a different layout than the US 30'- I do like it. You are also more than welcome to visit our website and post picts!
Thanks WuWei for some cool info ... Never get tired of learning about different boat brands....Good to see pics of your boat as well....

To everyone....I'm glad to learn about US Yachts, and Buccs.... it's been an enlightening discussion for me. I see these boats around a bit...

craig

I love
Old 04-14-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by uspirate View Post
WuWei, I looked at the pics of your boat and must say you have it looking cozy. to stray off topic for a sec, how well does that little fridge freezer work?
Thank you very much! We've really had fun working on her. Eventually, we are going to replace cabinets and put in Corian countertops.

We have an Engel. I think it is 45 quart- the medium-sized one- same one Bob Bitchin has. It kicks ass! Realitively inexpensive, and not an energy hog on the two house batteries. Two 20W solar panels keep the batteries topped off at sea. The best part- it runs on shore power and automatically switches to 12V when shore power is turned off. We had been toying with the fridge option for a while, and when you have a small boat, space is valuable. So, since the quarter berth isn't used for much, other than storage, we measured and bought the max size that would fit. She freezes really well, which is nice for a long voyage where you need to make ice.
Old 04-14-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtoo View Post
Thanks WuWei for some cool info ... Never get tired of learning about different boat brands....Good to see pics of your boat as well....

To everyone....I'm glad to learn about US Yachts, and Buccs.... it's been an enlightening discussion for me. I see these boats around a bit...

craig
Thank you for the kind words! I, too, am always glad to learn about other boat brands. I had my heart set on a Hanse at one time- until Carlos and Maria bought one and it became their nightmare. I for one, do suffer terrible Island Packet envy, though, especially the 44'er!
Old 07-23-2008

Grizrick5 is on a distinguished road
Hi:
The U.S.30 that I looked at this weekend did not look anything like the one in the picture is it the same boat or what?
Old 07-23-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Griz...is this the boat...the one above is a 305.
http://www.diysailor.com/igallery41s...syachts007.jpg

There is more stuff here if this is the boat:
The Gallery