SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

bayliner buccaneer sailboats homepage

89K views 44 replies 22 participants last post by  BU200 
#1 ·
There is now a homepage available highlighting the venerable Bayliner Buccaneer series of coastal cruisers.
Goto www.geocities.com/buccaneersailboats
to find out more about these underrated and financially accessable sailboats.

#32 ·
They are not the same boat, different designers and very different cabin layouts.

Yep that sure loks like the one I looked at. I am not sure what the difference is between a 305 and a U.S. 30 or if they are one and the same.?

#33 ·
2,700 in november in a 27' buccaneer

last year, when the hoses froze and the boats on lake champlain, vt, were hauled out, three people in the clutches of sail envy, and economic decline, headed south.
these three, myself, Bubbles Mcgillicutty, my wife, Lady Mcgillicutty, brother Twisty Mcgillicutty, and Onyx the dog spent and endured a life changing journey from Vt. to Fla. vai a 1975 bayliner buccaneer. leaving a week before Halloween, it was 18 degrees blowing hard out of the north. Don't forget the snow and freezing rain. with 30 years sailing experience between us, we bobbed, shivered, smiled, laughed and bested the worst weather i have ever seen.
running with a goal of sailing to florida on 30 gallons of gas and a 9.9 Yamaha took all the knowledge of the sea, sailing and safety we had combined.
despite the hardships of beating into and running with "big" seas (6'-13'), and sometime steady winds in the 40's, only once did i think we were going to lose her, and it wasn't entirely the weather.
we lost a lower rudder pintle, and started taking on water, a lot of water 25 miles off the northern coast of fla. had it not been for a shaol draft boat we wouldn't have made Ponce de Leon inlet in 13' breakers out of the NW.
The boat was sound, the rigging with less than 2 years strain on her. she was tender, we put the toe rail under on a reach often enough, she leaked in every portlight, but damn, really? $3,500, 2 mains, 2 jibs, 180 jenneau, my spinnaker, and pole, and set of storm sails we did just fine.
it can be done, not in style, or very fast, but it can be done
we loved our petunais, but we had to upgrade for this year.
happy sailing

#37 ·
i learned how to sail on the 24' buccaneer that sat in my dads front yard when i was a kid. I'm surprised i ever got into sailing after starting out on that schenanigans. it's only redeeming quality was the kenyen mast system.

I remember during one daysail half the rudder sheared right off... top to bottom, exactly half gone.

and, imo... they're ugly. looked and sailed like a bathtub.

#40 ·
Hi. I am new, both here and to any forum. Without regard to whether the Buccaneers (specifically the 180, 18") is dangerous, I have an old one for which I need a new mast. It had a wooden mast and I do not want to make one. I have been thinking of putting a Hobie 14 on it. Any thoughts. thanks, john

#42 ·
I own a us 30 bucaneer, I love my boat yes is not fast but it is roomy and confable, I sailed on it from hudson florida around the keys to Miami, I spent a few days on it, several times i went off shore more than 20 miles out, and thats before i fixed her up , the sails were rot most of the lanyards were really old but still took her out soent first 6 days on it, its built like a tank, last year she took on irma anchored on the bay next to a small mangrove island, I dud not expect to see her again that part of the bay got dried out before the ocean swells came back in, few days later went to it and was amazed it was dry inside, just everything inside was all over the place like if it turned over and over, its still floating now across from gilberts on a moring, its next to a few boats there, and its the most beautiful one, soon i will take my family to dry tortuga i love my bucaneer.

#43 ·
Buccaneers get a lot of bad rap. The first ones called Buccaneers starting with the 200 were big tubs. They sailed OK and the one I had (a 200) was what I learned on. I even took it out into the Pacific from Newport, Oregon on light wind days. Had a blast.

Bashing various sailboats... it's just not good form. I don't know why people feel/think they have to bash someone else's boat.. a boat that the owners may love.

The fact that someone is out there sailing at all is cause to be joyful... no matter what it is that they are sailing.

#44 ·
Correction because the title says 1979 , but i saw a 305 and its identical, but Im thinking us 30 because the 305 was built until 1978, but now im sure its a 305, Its a beautiful boat, its an eye opener in keykargo, naples inlet, miami, everyone has to stop and compliment her, as far as hull and mast its taken a beating, the german caotain who sold her to me told me trust your boat, dont listen to what people write, ive sailed in very rough waters in the deepest part of golf more than 20 miles out, they said im crazy but i trust my boast, and in 20 knot plus wind it holds up, flies while minimun heling, I wonder if the ones bashing these boats have ever even seen one up close.

#45 ·
LOL... 7 years... how about this, 15 years... LOL ... CPR this thread! I have a 1977 Bayliner Buccaneer 20' BU200 and it sails great and points very close to the wind (even more so now that I created a rotating mast and the boat heels less on all points of sail) and can come about on a channel marker without removing my finger and under power I can spin the boat like the teacup ride at Disney on its own axis, the kids love that, lol. Just this year, I upgraded the standing rigging to 5/16th to match the specs of the BU270 and am increasing the sail area from 191sqft to 245sqft with Main and Genoa. I'll find out in a couple months from now what my performance will be then, but with the OEM sails and 9 soles (6 adults and 3 kids) on board I was able to do 8kn flying the wing on a boat that is rated to only do 5.65kn (per sailboatdata.com). Boo Ya! And I can keep up with a Hunter 25. This is a plaining hull design folks, and not a traditional displacement hull. It has a fixed shallow long fin keel full of lead and is more stable than people think. As far as blue water sailing, that is yet to be determined, I've only yet sailed on lakes and intercoastal areas, so we'll see, but it has a relatively low freeboard so not a lot of windage to get pushed around which helps. large cockpit, less cabin space, but still has room to sleep 4 adults comfortably and sitting headroom and conversational sitting for 3 in the cabin with a small galley. Bigger cockpit is better for guest to sail on, as who goes sailing to sit in a cabin... no one. can seat 4 under the bimini forward of the cockpit mounted traveler (to keep the noggins safe from the boom and sun) and really 2 aft for skipper and first mate (but up to 4, though not recommended). Always fun to sail this boat!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.