Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
We are a wierd and whacky bunch!!
But a good one too!!!!

Ohhh if this was Portuguese eheheheheheeheheheh

Women would scream, childrem would cry, the skies would thunder, and you guys....wouldn't understand s***T!!!!

Edited: "Giu...After that rant it is hard to believe English is your second language".

Thanks to email, a friend in the US and a wonderfull Word with spell check!! But practicing here has helped too.
Ahh, A CD from Larry the Cable Guy, too, but had to watch it 15 times to understand "him's 'atalkin"

Last edited by Giulietta; 01-21-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2007

Hawkeye25 is on a distinguished road
Personally, I'd prefer a slip of about 14' for a boat with a 10.5 foot beam. I have lived aboard for over 20 years now, and with slack allowed for tides and normal motion, plus appropriate tension and lines for wakes and weather, if you don't have at least a foot and a half on either side of your boat, you'll find your gelcoat or hull paint rubbed to crap by fenders. My boat is 12.5 in the beam and weighs about 12 ton and I like to keep her two foot off the nasties (pilings and docks) for general practice. Even then, with storm lines on, I sometimes watch her surge to within six inches. That's close enough. An ounce of caution is worth a half days touch-up.
Old 01-21-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta
SD, I'm lost on the speling of my BOAT's name....care to explain??
Cam cheated and went back and edited the post where he mispelled Giulietta... He had dropped the second "i".

BTW, I understand Dame Ellen would like a word with you regarding what does and doesn't qualify as a boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-21-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Tell her that Vasco da Gama, Diogo Cão, Pedro Alvares Cabral and Gonçalves Zarco are waiting for her. As well as a few Volvo Racers. You know, boat people!!!
Old 01-21-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Volvo racers. Boy things sure have changed since I fell asleep in 1980.
Rip vanWinkle
Old 01-21-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21
Volvo racers. Boy things sure have changed since I fell asleep in 1980.
Rip vanWinkle
Hey sail, wake up and smell the cofee!!!

http://www.volvooceanrace.org/index.aspx?bhcp=1
Old 01-21-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye25
Personally, I'd prefer a slip of about 14' for a boat with a 10.5 foot beam. I have lived aboard for over 20 years now, and with slack allowed for tides and normal motion, plus appropriate tension and lines for wakes and weather, if you don't have at least a foot and a half on either side of your boat, you'll find your gelcoat or hull paint rubbed to crap by fenders. My boat is 12.5 in the beam and weighs about 12 ton and I like to keep her two foot off the nasties (pilings and docks) for general practice. Even then, with storm lines on, I sometimes watch her surge to within six inches. That's close enough. An ounce of caution is worth a half days touch-up.
Hawkeye -- Wow, finally a post that's on topic!!!! Who'd a thunk it on here? Yes, more room is better than less up to a point, especially if tides and currents are involved. A 14 foot wide slip would be about right for a boat with 10.5 ft of beam. The original poster didn't say where he is located, but here in Chesapeake country with the large number of older marinas, slip width is becoming a problem. The modern, wide-ass sterns, and the wide beam that begats them, are creating havoc in some marinas that were built when beams were much more moderate. There's a Beneteau 393 in the slip next to me and they have mere inches on either side with lots of difficulty protecting the boat during adverse weather.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 01-21-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
SailorMitch,

How things looking down at the marina? I haven't had time get down lately. I know which Benet 39 your talking about, its like threading a needle. I was there during the Tropical Storm this past year, the owner was very concerned his boat was going to get pile drived. Are your rates going up too...? I may have to look for another marina?
Old 01-21-2007

JouvertSpirit is on a distinguished road
Giulietta, I'm glad you included that sheep for good measure. I guess a choir boy thrown into the mix would cross the line. You guys are really entertaining! I enjoy reading these forums.
Old 01-21-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef
SailorMitch,

How things looking down at the marina? I haven't had time get down lately. I know which Benet 39 your talking about, its like threading a needle. I was there during the Tropical Storm this past year, the owner was very concerned his boat was going to get pile drived. Are your rates going up too...? I may have to look for another marina?
Hey Chef,

There actually are 2 Bene 393's and one Bene 373 on the outside slips where I am (B pier I think). Yesterday I was down there and the wind was howling and the water was very low but everything seemed OK on those big boats. I haven't heard anything about a rate increase but nothing surprises me anymore. I have asked to move to an inner slip that's cheaper next year, as long as I can still get in and out by myself. I might end up on the bulkhead down by the travel lift.

Tell mw which boat is yours and I'll check it out for you next time I'm down there. Since I am in the water for the winter I go down as often as I can.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.