SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

slip size

6K views 51 replies 15 participants last post by  Giulietta 
#1 ·
what is the narrowist slip size for a boat with a 10' 5" beam

thanks, rick

#3 ·
Actually, you could go 10' 5" but you'd have some problems with rubbing the paint

#5 ·
IIRC, the Panama Canal is 105ft. wide, and the Missouri is 103ft. wide. So, if you scale your boat's length to the Missouri's length (don't know that number OTTOMH) and then calculate the corresponding lateral tolerance, it could be a fair basis of comparison.

Hope this has been helpful.

[After supper on a Saturday night may not be the best time to ask a technical question.]

#8 ·
SailinJay and Pigslo are ruining all of our fun. You probably do want at least a foot of clearance on either side. :D It depends on whether your slip has finger piers on both sides or on one side with and another boat on the other.

#11 ·
Cam-

You mis-spelled his name again... ;)

#13 ·
you cheated... :)

#15 ·
Boat 10.5' wide, fenders 6-8" wide on each side...12' wide slip.

Unless you're a racer, in which case 10.5' plus the thickness of two playing cards is considered adequate clearance, and a good coat of wax will take care of any rubbing.<G>

Seriously, Rick, unless you are building your own slip? Usually you just tell 'em the length and width of your boat, and then deal with what the marina has to offer. Other factors (like turning room) may complicate the deal.

#16 ·
Actually the Panama Canal will accept any merchant vessel up to a 106' beam and such vessel's are known as "Panamax". It is a design constraint on virtually all merchant ships with the exception of those tankers intended for the Gulf trade. The locks are wider than 106', the exact number escapes me, but not alot. The only vessels granted exemption by the canal authority are military, notably aircraft carriers, which can take advantage of it with a slightly wider beam.
If memory serves, Big Mo and her sisters are just under 900' LOA. About the size of a "handy size" tanker today.

#17 · (Edited)
Right.....lets see....been busy while I was off, have we???

OK, my points are.....

1)This is the stupidest thread I have read here in the last few days, after the deck step / keel step mast one, including its questions and their wise answers for that matter.

(Dear God&#8230;I shouldn't have said that&#8230;I apologize&#8230;.please be with the starving Pigmies down in New Guinea&#8230;).

2)But since you're new here, you'll get a Mulligan&#8230; now go back and start another thread.
This time, please make sure you're not drunk&#8230;..ask something useful, like:

what anchor to use during a force 10 gale, or&#8230;.. if a 21' Catalina is good for blue water passage, from Greenland to South Africa, assuming the crew is composed by 3 NY drag Queens, 2 Orthodox priests, a skinny Rabbi, and a sheep with multiple sclerosis.

You may even ask why some boats have 2 wheels, or why T's OLD boat sails backwards instead of forward&#8230;..

But how wide should a slip be???

If your boat fits, there's your answer....That's like asking how big should a dick be&#8230;.

3)If your boat is an OLD Tartan 34C , an 8' slip is good, because its side will bend inwards, due to lack of internal structural strength.

(Ats funny 'ite there, I do'nt care whoyar!)

4)If you have a boat next to you, you can push him, now he has the thin slip and your problem is solved!!! I push everyone around!!!

5)If you have a Trimaran&#8230;..well that does not classify as a boat, and normally stay outside&#8230;..

Now&#8230;.unsolved matters....Mr. Cam&#8230;.you no good moderator of the "Ministry of funny walks", why would I want to be funny???

No need&#8230;.with some of the comedian answers one gets here on these threads, no need to be funny. Just sit here and read them&#8230;.:D :D :D

SD, I'm lost on the speling of my BOAT's name....care to explain??

Hey T you're the one sailing a Klingon ship....they were on TV in the end of the 80's!!!eheheheheheeh:D :D :D :D What's a Kinger??

#18 ·
Giu...After that rant it is hard to believe English is your second language! Thank god this board is in English or who knows what else we might be subjected to!! <g>
Has anyone noticed that the original poster of the stupidest question of the week has not been back and yet we have filled two pages with responses??
We are a wierd and whacky bunch!!

#21 · (Edited)
camaraderie said:
We are a wierd and whacky bunch!!
But a good one too!!!!:)

Ohhh if this was Portuguese eheheheheheeheheheh

Women would scream, childrem would cry, the skies would thunder, and you guys....wouldn't understand s***T!!!!:D :D :D

Edited: "Giu...After that rant it is hard to believe English is your second language".

Thanks to email, a friend in the US and a wonderfull Word with spell check!! But practicing here has helped too.
Ahh, A CD from Larry the Cable Guy, too, but had to watch it 15 times to understand "him's 'atalkin"

#22 ·
Personally, I'd prefer a slip of about 14' for a boat with a 10.5 foot beam. I have lived aboard for over 20 years now, and with slack allowed for tides and normal motion, plus appropriate tension and lines for wakes and weather, if you don't have at least a foot and a half on either side of your boat, you'll find your gelcoat or hull paint rubbed to crap by fenders. My boat is 12.5 in the beam and weighs about 12 ton and I like to keep her two foot off the nasties (pilings and docks) for general practice. Even then, with storm lines on, I sometimes watch her surge to within six inches. That's close enough. An ounce of caution is worth a half days touch-up.

#23 ·
Giulietta said:
SD, I'm lost on the speling of my BOAT's name....care to explain??
Cam cheated and went back and edited the post where he mispelled Giulietta... He had dropped the second "i". ;)

BTW, I understand Dame Ellen would like a word with you regarding what does and doesn't qualify as a boat. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.