Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2007

JagsBch is on a distinguished road
Traditional Christening Ceremony

I was baptised more times than I can remember, don't ask... My question was in regards to Christening a used boat? Is it a tradition?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Only if you're renaming said boat, but you may want to use John Vigor's boat re-naming ceremony to prevent any bad luck from attaching due to the renaming of it. Some people don't believe in superstition, but sailors are a curious lot and have many about their boats...including that it is bad luck to rename one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-22-2007

JagsBch is on a distinguished road
I read up on a few testimonials regarding the so-called bad luck, but I can't escape the notion that the people just bought a boat. Being in the same situation of buying a boat myself, I can see a plethora of things that can and will probably go wrong; especially for a sailor who has just been conceived.

$#!T happens, and when it does while I am drinking my wife blames it on the rum, when in fact that in reality she could not be any further from the truth regarding the matter. Does that make her supersticous, stereotypical or stupid? I don't know... I guess superstition often times boils down to folks wanting to have a sense of control to comfort themselves from the fear of what we can't control, and fabricating the illusion that since we did not change her name we will not be damned, gives someone a bit of comfort while running off in a drunken stupor to the local whore house while cussing and raising cane. LMAO WHAT THE WHAT THE WHAT

Assuming that by not renaming your boat that $#!T will simply not happen is just assinine.

When it comes to luck I live by 2 quotes.
"In my experience, there is no such thing as luck." George Lucas
"Luck is the residue of design." Branch Rickey.

IMO luck is the devils way of eliciting us to robbing God of praise for us being blessed.

I keep hearing this reference of specific/separate entity in regards to a vessel, as if it where alive. Which begs the question what is life? I have seen first hand how even prayer come to life, while seemingly materialize itself into matter. That is why I am a firm believer that Prayer matters.

A boat like our bodies can have a mind of its own. The body can not live without a heart, mind, soul and spirit, so too a boat is dead without a sailor, unless it is a ghost ship, I don't think there are too many of those floating about, but I wouldn't be surprised to run into one; if there are mirage cities...

Point is I get why people name boats, I feel like I am about to get married to one, I don't plan on changing the name, so is there anything formal to do other than tying the bureaucratic knots? Isn't there some sort of tying the knot ceremony for new sailboat owners buying a used boat?
Old 01-22-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Jags,
sailingdog provided as close to a fair answer to your question as possible. But, you chose to respond with a regurgitated rant on your religious beliefs. It's my belief that an inanimate object, such as a boat, cannot be "Christened" in the sense you're referring to.
Old 01-22-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Maybe we could give it a bris instead and cut down the spinnaker pole?
Old 01-22-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
The ceremony we had when "marrying" our used boat was performed by a loan officer. When it's paid off we'll get the "born again" certificate.
Old 01-22-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Tru-Blue...better than calling in an exorcist when you get re-posessed!
Old 01-22-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
Maybe we could give it a bris instead and cut down the spinnaker pole?
rofl... who would do the ceremony??

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-22-2007
Señor Member

Good one cam . . .
Old 01-22-2007
moderate?

SD..."who would do the ceremony?? "

OK...you asked for it....here it comes....

Rabbi Bowman!!!