Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2007

dorourke is on a distinguished road
sailing to Canada

I live on the west end of Lake Erie and planning to visita friend in Canada toward Winsor. Can anyone steer me in the right direction as far as paper work and customs required to enter Canada?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2007

tigerregis has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Check with can customs for inbound and US for return. Things have changed so much since 9/11 I can't advise current regs. Both are online, check there.
Old 01-22-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Here ya go...http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Ca...ties#Clearance
Old 01-22-2007

HALCYON is on a distinguished road
Assuming you are going by car via Ambassador bridge (Detroit to Windsor)& US Citizen, all you need until 2008 is driv lisc & birth cert.
We sail to Peele & Leamington a few times a summer & this summer I understand will be the last crossings without a passport.
Halcyon 1986 P33-2 #31
Old 01-22-2007

tigerregis has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Thanks Cam, that advice to go to noonsite is appreciated. Good for petal 123 on her pirate inquiries as well. TA
Old 01-22-2007

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
I sail back and forth from USA to Canada and Canada to USA all the time. I also have full documentation to do so. As a Canadian I live 15 minute drive north of the 49th and I moor my boat for 4-6 months in Point Roberts Marina, an American port. Even with border crossing I can get from home to my boat in 15 minutes but then I have a valid passport, a Nexus pass (must have) and a Can Pass (must have). The Can-Pass is for water border crossing (Canada) as is the Nexus for water USA, although the Nexus is also valid for land (nexus lane). To get the Nexus you also need to have a valid passport (at least as a Canadian the US customs require it). With the proper documentation it is very simple and expedious. I live in the Pacific Northwest and sail back and forth from the San Juans & Gulf Islands, I also have to drive back and forth through the land border each time I go to the marina or back home. Lots of crossings and they track you well. I have seen my GPS fill all 12 slots with eyes in the sky on many occasions, but then there is plenty of cross border water traffic in these parts. I believe they are in the process of integrating all crossings, air, land & water into the one Nexus, but they are a bit slow in the process.
Old 01-22-2007

Sorry, I forgot to mention I will be sailing. Thanks cam, I checked the website already and it is informative and thank you cap. as well, I will now watch my gps activity out of curiosity. Thanks to all for such a quick response.
Old 01-22-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorourke
Sorry, I forgot to mention I will be sailing. Thanks cam, I checked the website already and it is informative and thank you cap. as well, I will now watch my gps activity out of curiosity. Thanks to all for such a quick response.
I realize it's unlikely, but new American regulations are now in effect that mean air travel passengers from Canada *must have* valid passports. As far as I know, that means Americans need American passports to fly back into America from Canada.

So if you had a family emergency and had to leave the boat on the Canadian side and fly out of Canada, you'd be in difficulty.
Old 01-22-2007

It's obvious that passports will be here to stay. I saw just tonight according to local news we now need a passport to travel to and from Canada if your traveling by air or sea. I shoulden't delay my application. I do wonder how that will play out in the case of regattas that sail in Canadian water but don't make port there?
Old 01-23-2007

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
The passport regulation is for anyone flying into the US. The passport requirement will come into effect in a year or two for any type of crossing. It has been my eperience that border crossings either way are made much simpler if you have a passport. New passports are scanned and any problems come up on the border crossing guards computer. The US government is trying to come up with a "passport like card" as an alternative. For now, if you want to do any international travel and return to the US get a passport.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.