Leaving the Bahamas - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 04-20-2017 Thread Starter

Leaving the Bahamas

Next week I am headed down to the Bahamas with a friend who bought a catamaran out of the Moorings fleet. We are going to start its transport to its new home in Ct. we are flying in with one way tickets and leaving by the boat. From what I have found we will be issued a crusing when we go through imigration. The question I have is will we be charged for it at the same rate as if we entered by boat? Also we have other crew that will be joining us later in the week do we list them on the permit and do they need information about the permit when they go through immigration? Do we need to do a check out before leaving the Bahamas or just cruse and do our checkin when we enter the usa. Tenative re entry is Fort Pierce Fl. All crew members have signed up for and received SVRS approval..
Thanks in advance for the amazing knowledge of those of you who have gone before.
Peter
fallard likes this.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-20-2017
Mermaid Hunter

Re: Leaving the Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by justified View Post
Next week I am headed down to the Bahamas with a friend who bought a catamaran out of the Moorings fleet. We are going to start its transport to its new home in Ct. we are flying in with one way tickets and leaving by the boat. From what I have found we will be issued a crusing when we go through imigration. The question I have is will we be charged for it at the same rate as if we entered by boat? Also we have other crew that will be joining us later in the week do we list them on the permit and do they need information about the permit when they go through immigration? Do we need to do a check out before leaving the Bahamas or just cruse and do our checkin when we enter the usa. Tenative re entry is Fort Pierce Fl. All crew members have signed up for and received SVRS approval..
Thanks in advance for the amazing knowledge of those of you who have gone before.
Peter
I'm not a lawyer but I have done this a lot. The cruising permit goes with the boat. Since it has been in the Moorings fleet the boat should have documentation. What you need is to show the Bahamian officials that you will be leaving. That means at least a bill of sale and preferable a Document or registration. Everyone else just needs a letter from the owner that they are crew with a copy of the Document.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 04-20-2017 Thread Starter

Dave
Thanks for the great info. This is the first time for either of us moving a boat in or out of another country. I have been doing a lot of reading and research .... there is a lot to know and understand. I sure once you have done it is fairly routine. Haven't decided on the route yet , but option one is over the top to West End or memory Rock. Opt. 2 is go south end of Abaco to the Berry Island, across the bank to Bimini and then north. All depends on weather and wind direction. Any thoughts?

post #4 of 16 Old 04-20-2017
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Haven't decided on the route yet , but option one is over the top to West End or memory Rock. Opt. 2 is go south end of Abaco to the Berry Island, across the bank to Bimini and then north. All depends on weather and wind direction. Any thoughts?
Are you ultimately heading back to CT or somewhere else? What kind of sailing experience? Just the two of you or more? Schedule restrictions? Which boat - 3500, 3800, 4100, or something else?

post #5 of 16 Old 04-20-2017

You will need to get your CBP decal - or whatever that is called - to put on the boat and supply number to CBP when you call after entering US. They probably told you about it in the SVRS program.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
post #6 of 16 Old 04-20-2017

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

I'm assuming you are taking possession of the boat in Marsh Harbour. You might want to give Bahamian customs in Marsh Harbour a phone call at 242 367-2026 and immigrations a call at 242 367-2522. The phone numbers are from Explorer Charts, and immigrations has moved from the Dove Plaza to the Government Center since the charts were printed, so their number might not be right.

We have left the Bahamas for the US via Bimini to Palm Beach and via the Mantanilla Shoal area to Cape Canaveral, St Augustine, and Charleston. All are viable.

When we return to the US, we have a US Customs decal, documentation for the boat, and passports that are examined when we enter the US without using either the old Local Boater Option or the newer SVRS.

Irish Eyes to the Bahamas.
timangiel likes this.

Last edited by wsmurdoch; 04-20-2017 at 07:49 PM. Reason: The area code originally listed (252) is Oriental, NC.
post #7 of 16 Old 04-20-2017 Thread Starter

It is a 39 Lepord. Yes we are ultimately headed back to Westbrook ct. Mainly two of us but do have otger crew lined up. Myself and the owner have been racing and sailing together for about18yrs both lic OUPV and have done transports ct to keywest about i trip north and south. The other crew is experienced. Our racing experience is more than beer cans on Wednesday nights. Several yrs Off Sounding spring and fall, Stamford Block island and others.
We have done the SVRS reg and also the boat thru that program. He just received the CG documentation certs this week.
Plan at this point is to leave Bahamas and chk back in at fort peirce .from there we will probably do 2-3 day hops up the coast/ gulfstream towards Charleston or Beaufort Nc depending on weather. Schedule overall is abot 3weeks. I do relize it could take a week to get back to Fl if we don't have a fevorable crossing conditions.
post #8 of 16 Old 04-20-2017 Thread Starter

8 trips North and South.
post #9 of 16 Old 04-20-2017

What is the OP doing to check out the boat before such an ambitious trip? Understand the sailing experience, but this would be a "new" boat for the OP and it has been in charter service--presumably the Abacos. Seems there needs to be a shake down before traveling away from support services.
capta likes this.
post #10 of 16 Old 04-21-2017
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
You will need to get your CBP decal - or whatever that is called - to put on the boat and supply number to CBP when you call after entering US. They probably told you about it in the SVRS program.
It's called a DTOPS decal. https://dtops.cbp.dhs.gov/main/#%20

It is best to get ahead. You can clear in without it but there is an extra fee that is the same amount as buying the decal except you don't get the decal. It's worth noting that the DTOPS decal is for the boat and SVRS is for crew so the owner may have gotten the decal already.

Quote:
It is a 39 Lepord. Yes we are ultimately headed back to Westbrook ct.
The 39 Leopard is a fine sea boat. Unless something has changed Moorings moves all their boats from Cape Town South Africa to their charter bases on their own bottoms. The biggest downside is not quite enough handholds.

Coastal hops mean burning a lot of time going out and in. You can easily lose half a day each, plus the time you spend not moving at all. You also have fewer options as the wind shifts when cold fronts cross. If three days is okay why not take four and go straight from Marsh Harbour to Charleston? Hint: from North Man o' War Cut sail as close to 315T as you can until the sea water temperature (on the depth sounder - RTFM) peaks then stay in the Gulf Stream until Charleston (or Beaufort NC) is NE then turn 315T to the inlet.

You'll also find C&I much more pleasant outside of Florida.

What I would do is leave the Bahamas and aim for Block Island. Twelve(ish) days later turn left. *grin* That's a good sized chunk of ocean to bite off if you haven't made a real passage before. Everyone has to make their first of course. You can always decide it is too much and head for Jax, Charleston, or Norfolk. Of course it's a couple of days from deciding you've had enough and making port.

It's going to take you a few days to get ready to leave anyway so get off the dock. Go for a sail in the Sea of Abaco in the morning then have lunch (I like Curly Tails) before making your provisioning run at Price Right. Then dinner at the Jib Room. Next day run out through the cut into the ocean and head out about 10 miles and come back. Fix anything that is at all worrisome. The sail loft on Man o' War Cay can help with running rigging.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.