New boat owner: advice on mooring location - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 04-20-2017 Thread Starter

New boat owner: advice on mooring location

Hi all,

I've got a Wauquiez Pretorien 35 and am now scouting some places in Rhode Island to keep the boat. I plan to do a light refit and sail a bunch to test the boat before I head south for the winter.

I'm trying to decide between Bristol, RI and Jamestown, RI for a seasonal mooring.

Bristol has quick access to the town of Bristol and a very protected mooring field. It's also cheaper. However, it looks a little far from open sailing grounds and I fear I might be spending too much time in transit for day sails and weekend coastal trips.

Jamestown has easier access to open water, but looks quite vulnerable to NE winds and I worry about the amount of traffic due to it's proximity to the mouth of narraganset bay.

Any sailors out there have experience with seasonal moorings in either? Both seem to have reputable yards. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-21-2017

Re: New boat owner: advice on mooring location

I'm very familiar with both locations and you've summed them up pretty well. The fetch into Jamestown from an easterly (usually storm related) can be dramatic, but it's ideal ocean access. If they were my only two choices, I would take Bristol. If you're refitting, you might enjoy sailing on the Bay to shakedown more often anyway.

If you want to be closer to open water, take a look at Dutch Harbor, on the immediate opposite side of Connanicut Island (Jamestown). It's exactly a 1 mile walk into town, if you want access to a some grub or the chandlery.

Splitting the difference would be something in Wickford. There are three or four marinas in there and I don't know who controls which moorings. You definitely want to be inside the breakwater, some are outside.

Bristol is a great little town. Harbor patrol can be a bit intrusive. I think they work to make their presence known, so folks behave on drunken weekends. If being that far up the Bay works, or nothing is available, you might also look into East Greenwich, to the West of Bristol, or Portsmouth on the Sakonnet River.

Much probably depends on where you live too. Happy to answer any further questions, either on the thread or via PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
adamwisneski (04-21-2017)
post #3 of 13 Old 04-21-2017
Learning the HARD way...

Minne sums the options up pretty well. Depending on where you live, I would also look into Fall River, MA, and Greenwich, RI.

In my opinion, if you are looking to do some refitting, you would be far better off with a slip than a mooring. I would also consider which location is closer to home (and faster to get to). There is quite a difference between driving between Bristol and Jamestown. I suggest that you look on ActiveCaptain to figure out which specific marina or mooring field is most convenient to you.

Don't be dissing Narragansett Bay, especially with a 35 foot boat. There are LOTS of harbors and coves to explore and you will have plenty of water under your keel. I have seen 8 foot swells in Block Island Sound, at the same time as there have been 2 foot swells in Narragansett Bay. Note that Narragansett Bay includes the West Passage, the East Passage, Mount Hope Bay, AND the Sakonnet River.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

The Following User Says Thank You to eherlihy For This Useful Post:
adamwisneski (04-21-2017)

post #4 of 13 Old 04-21-2017

Depending on the refit needs... being close to suppliers of bits and pieces is mission critical. Unless you plan everything out getting to and from suppliers and hardware can consume a lot of time. All the locations I am familiar with in the waters you mentioned provide easy access to decent sailing.

Slips near chandleries and hardware would be optimal but considerably more.

You might consider Newport close in and see if OldPort has a mooring. They have several launches you can use if you don't have a dink... The Ships Store chandlery next to The Landing on Market will get you almost anything over night from their main store. and across from the Seamen's Church where you can shower and so on... even rent a room! There is a great hardware store on Bellevue... and of course good eats. Parking is a bitch.

The anchorage out by Ida Lewis is a bit too far to be running back and forth.

You asked... I opined

Last edited by SanderO; 04-21-2017 at 09:47 AM.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-21-2017
HANUMAN

There is no bar in Wickford. Why God has chosen to punish Wickford is topic for another conversation. However, there is a great marina in Wickford that (a few years ago, last time I was there) still loaned out tools and sold all kinds of bit and pieces.

Being on a mooring for a "light refit" means you need easy access to stuff. You also need access to a work dock if at all possible.

You will have to get to some sort of Chandlery twice a day if there is not one nearby. If there is one nearby you will always have everything you need.

If you can pull up to a work dock and spend a few hours on a slow weekday in the marina you will find that lonely men will hover around and help you avoid getting anything done. They will offer all kinds of advice, drink your beer and tell you what you are doing wrong. They will never actually help, but procrastination is fun.

Or you can moor in an exposed spot on a beautiful island that caters to a lunch crowd, pitch, roll and near puke hanging upside down in your engine compartment trying to replace a hose that hates you, only to drop your last hose clamp of the proper size in that gap between the dinghy and the boarding ladder.

Summer is coming.
BarryL likes this.

HANUMAN
'88 C&C 30 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #6 of 13 Old 04-21-2017 Thread Starter

Thanks so much everyone. This is just the type of advice I was looking for, and has made the decision much less stressful.

I live in Chicago, but I'll be staying just south of Black Point at a friend's place (or on the boat) for a couple weeks at a time while I work on the boat, so the distance from the airport and Jamestown vs. Bristol from there is about the same.

I think I'll moor at Bristol Marine given it's proximity to Jamestown Distributors, hardware stores, the town of Bristol, decent protection and the Bristol Marine yard which has a great reputation among folks I've talked with.

I'm doing most of the refit on the hard in Mystic CT (where the boat is now) so hopefully I'll be okay doing the rest of the small stuff on a mooring. Seems like if there's any guarantee it's that things will break. So it'll be great to be close to supplies and expertise.

And hopefully I can take an empty dock now and again if the yard manager doesn't mind.

@RobGallagher your post was hilarious.

Thanks again to everyone!
post #7 of 13 Old 04-21-2017
HANUMAN

Where in Mystic? I'm at Ft Rachel or my mooring in Noank.

HANUMAN
'88 C&C 30 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #8 of 13 Old 04-21-2017
Learning the HARD way...

I respectfully disagree with Rob about the lack of bars in Wickford. http://www.tavernbytheseari.com/;

and

However Bristol has many different bars, so you can get thrown out of more places.
Minnewaska likes this.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #9 of 13 Old 04-21-2017
GMC

You may not need it if you go to Bristol Marine, but Bristol City Harbor Master has a new facility for boaters with showers, washer/dryer/ lounge, friendly staff, that is really nicely done. I don't know the harbor other than a couple of times, but each time I was there, there was a strong southerly that made for the most uncomfortable mooring I think I have ever had. Last time, it was too hairy to get my wife and I in the dinghy. I'm sure it is better further up harbor. Some day I'll get back there with a calm harbor. Town is great.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-21-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamwisneski View Post
.....I'll be staying just south of Black Point at a friend's place.....
You got me with Black Point. Had to google it. Do you mean down by Point Judith? That's a long way to Bristol.

eherlihy is right about the bar right in town in Wickford. There's even a free municipal dinghy dock across the street from it. Outside bar is nice, the inside is small.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.